.204 Howa rifle sale bummer

skull hooker

In 2011 when I had little or no cash, I bought a .204 Ruger Howa 1500 sporter as a truck rifle with a Wildcat mod. Total cost £750. This rifle shot foxes up to 200 yds with home loads all day. Never missed a Charlie with it on the lamp or with NV support. I wanted a long distance varminting rifle and I have been more impressed with the availability and bullet weight choice of the .223 now and opted for a Tikka T3 stainless 1:8 varmint which I'm going to mount in a GRS stock.

To that end I tried to flog the Howa and Wildcat. There was the obvious choice of putting it up for sale on Guntrader with the other Howas but I don't want to wait that long for a sale. No one..and I mean no one wanted to pay/PX for the Wildcat..which I've still got. Eventually I ordered a T3 as described from a well known gunsmith. Trade in value for the Howa..£50 as it wasn't really a commercial calibre.

What a waste of money.

Is a rifle really worth that little money?

£50 ?

You've been conned.

Commercial calibre or not [ and it is ] if the round count is low and genuine its worth £250 of anyones money if in reasonable nick. The action alone is worth buying for anyone wanting a donor.

£50 ?

You've been conned.

Commercial calibre or not [ and it is ] if the round count is low and genuine its worth £250 of anyones money if in reasonable nick. The action alone is worth buying for anyone wanting a donor.

Maybe. He said he wanted it only for spares. I tried another dealer beforehand and he didn't want it at all. Said he couldn't sell it. If you were going down the custom rifle route, would you really choose a Howa as a donor action, or is it a risk when you could spend a little ore for a 'better' make? I' not sure. In total I spoke to three shops , none of who wanted the Moderator.

Nope. No discount offered, other than the PX discount. :mad:

Get a mate to ring the dealer asking if he's got any 204's in stock then you'll know if he's telling the truth, either that or just put it down to one of life's experiences and enjoy your T3.

I px my Howa 243 in last week for a Howa creedmoor and I got a 350 for the bare rifle It had a laminate thumb hole stock but I thort that was a good deal really as it cost me 440 new 12months ago

I wouldn't of let it go for that 50 quid is a insult tbh

I have been selling Howa rifles for a good few years Brian Fox was supplying them. They do what it says on the tin a basic solid rifle. I have never seen one sold at that kind of price. The action is worth up to £200 . Tony

£50 is taking the p*ss tho!

I searched all over for a .204 couldn't get one for love nor money.

Well, I could and did, but I was out of my comfort zone buying from a distant dealer.

In 2011 when I had little or no cash, I bought a .204 Ruger Howa 1500 sporter as a truck rifle with a Wildcat mod. Total cost £750. This rifle shot foxes up to 200 yds with home loads all day. Never missed a Charlie with it on the lamp or with NV support. I wanted a long distance varminting rifle and I have been more impressed with the availability and bullet weight choice of the .223 now and opted for a Tikka T3 stainless 1:8 varmint which I'm going to mount in a GRS stock.

To that end I tried to flog the Howa and Wildcat. There was the obvious choice of putting it up for sale on Guntrader with the other Howas but I don't want to wait that long for a sale. No one..and I mean no one wanted to pay/PX for the Wildcat..which I've still got. Eventually I ordered a T3 as described from a well known gunsmith. Trade in value for the Howa..£50 as it wasn't really a commercial calibre.

What a waste of money.

Is a rifle really worth that little money?

Your gun dealer is a **ss taking cnut , I would have told him so and walked, I guess he also wants full RRP for the Tikka?

£50 ?

You've been conned.

Ive also had an RFD try to tell me the .204 is no longer a commercial calibre , so what is a commercial calibre ? if its availability of ammo I have no problem getting Hornady.

Your gun dealer is a **ss taking cnut , I would have told him so and walked, I guess he also wants full RRP for the Tikka?

Ive also had an RFD try to tell me the .204 is no longer a commercial calibre , so what is a commercial calibre ? if its availability of ammo I have no problem getting Hornady.

I also had this from several dealer when I had an interest in a .204............... but I've never seen secondhand ones coming up for sale any cheaper than other "mainstream" calibres.

I also had this from several dealer when I had an interest in a .204............... but I've never seen secondhand ones coming up for sale any cheaper than other "mainstream" calibres.

Interesting ,one who told me the same used to have very impressive set up near Shrewsbury , today his stock value is about the same as a skip full of ***te , there are a few RFDs who think the general public are daft ( sure a few are) but its 2015 and we all chat on forums like this one and have the ability to shop around from our armchairs , those who don't realise this will fall by the wayside and rightly so, get competitive or fold.

Skull. You always seem to have a whinge. Mike Norris is building on Howa actions and he doesn't tolerate any shite ! Either stop being mugged off or learn to negotiate !

Really. I thought I was always very positive. I don't think im a whinger..am I? Anybody who shoots a factory Howa has got to be an optimist :D .

This rifle disposal thing can go on forever though. Eventually you have to capitulate just to get the space on your ticket.

Really. I thought I was always very positive. I don't think im a whinger..am I? Anybody who shoots a factory Howa has got to be an optimist :D .

This rifle disposal thing can go on forever though. Eventually you have to capitulate just to get the space on your ticket.

Is this already a done deal?

I'm thinking of moving my HMR and moving up to a small CF for longer range vermin.

Yep I'm one big certified optimist and I have tack driving Howa, £900 quid in the bank over a Sako - which honestly I would love - but does that much better. Have you tried selling to .204 privately ??

No I haven't tried privately. I'm with Northants constab and my past experiences with them are pretty bad. I applied for a handgun for stalking in 2013, humane dispatch etc. Took them eighteen months to reply with a refusal. When they refused I had a home visit and handed in a variation for a 223. Months later I called them and it turns out the FEO had dropped it in a drawer with the handgun refusal and forgot about it. So apart from the length of time it would take to sell it, then for the variation to come through, i'd be rotting in my grave before I got the kit. I decided to do a PX to cut out some of the time factor.

Is this already a done deal?

I'm thinking of moving my HMR and moving up to a small CF for longer range vermin.

Unfortunately the letter to the licensing people went off yesterday so it is. Thanks for the PM by the way. I'll be in touch. Im recovering from some knee surgery at the moment so im not that mobile

Archived