Accuracy International, Six Sigma and the New Rifles

brown dog

Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes.

I've done it a few times in various engineering companies,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes.

As pithy and accurate description as is possible :) I'll come back to 6 sigma later - as it answers one of the great puzzles of the new rifles.

Meanwhile,

The chassis:

In his right hand, Tom holds a solid billet. In his left he holds what they transform it into: the heart of the chassis.

P1010041_zpsdc928eee.jpg

And a pic of the transformation in progress

P1010040_zpsaea46ad0.jpg

Wire EDM is used for some of the transformation, here the mag well has been cut

P1010043_zpsc5dc4699.jpg

The result is the heart of the chassis, shown here now anodised and with the action bonded to it

P1010064_zps91896e27.jpg

Now ready to receive the remainder of the chassis; top, an AW or AE folder, below, an AX or AXMC folder

P1010055_zps7e21d993.jpg

Which are then bonded and pinned to the heart of the chassis (in these pictures, an AT)

P1010066_zps293d95e9.jpg

P1010068_zps626d7f07.jpg

I've done it a few times in various engineering companies,

Jame5m,

Thank you for explaining.

Actions.

From this:

P1010063_zps08f8870a.jpg

To this:

P1010061_zps7275c6f1.jpg

Barrels.

Lothar Walther by the pallet. As the single greatest determinant of accuracy; AI subject every single barrel to an exacting QA process.

A measured check of all critical dimensions as well as visual borescope inspection of every single barrel.

P1010058_zps1420b127.jpg

Question:

Why do AW / AT / AX actions have a square (rather than round) cross section?

Actions.

From this:

P1010063_zps08f8870a.jpg

To this:

P1010061_zps7275c6f1.jpg

Barrels.

Lothar Walther by the pallet. As the single greatest determinant of accuracy; AI subject every single barrel to an exacting QA process.

A measured check of all critical dimensions as well as visual borescope inspection of every single barrel.

P1010058_zps1420b127.jpg

Question:

Why do AW / AT / AX actions have a square (rather than round) cross section?

Cheaper to machine....

Facinating pics from what must have been a memorable visit Matt

A pity a factory trip couldn't be arranged ---or is that possible?

Why flat bottomed - these AT AW and AX are all bonded to the chassis and the flat base allows greater surface contact (guessing??)

Certainly not cheaper to machine, more set ups required for the milling the flats out of round over just a round action. I think the flat bottom section allows for an easier mate up to the aluminium chassis - it's easier to get two perfectly flat (or with a close tolerance) surfaces mated together rather than mess about with v blocks and round actions / chassis.

It's definitely a better shape for an action, better bedding, better access for a magazine, more material for increased stiffness.......but, as with all great engineering steps, it was an accident of circumstance...bringing the early rifle design forward for the very first sale (to the SBS twenty years ago (pre 1984) ) Dave Walls and Dave Caig found:

"We didn't have round bar of the right size; we only had rectangular bar of the right size needed to make the action body. This hiccup led to stumbling on the design of the most famous rifle in the history of sniping. It was easier and faster on our machines back then to cut them from flat than it would have been to make the action round, and this enabled us to use a 10 shot double stack magazine".

And that's the full story as to why this:

P1010076_zpsef96c6e7.jpg

Changed to this:

P1010077_zps1f5772b1.jpg

It's definitely a better shape for an action, better bedding, better access for a magazine, more material for increased stiffness.......but, as with all great engineering steps, it was an accident of circumstance...bringing the early rifle design forward for the very first sale (to the SBS twenty years ago (pre 1984) ) Dave Walls and Dave Caig found:

"We didn't have round bar of the right size; we only had rectangular bar of the right size needed to make the action body. This hiccup led to stumbling on the design of the most famous rifle in the history of sniping. It was easier and faster on our machines back then to cut them from flat than it would have been to make the action round, and this enabled us to use a 10 shot double stack magazine".

Outstanding! Necessity being the mother of invention then - case in point.

BOLTS

e5c472a0-ce72-436c-9a75-80088c677954_zps

The new bolts - six lug in all calibres:

P1010084_zpsfb9bdf09.jpg

AT in 308.....six lug bolt.....short S&B 3-20:

P1010083_zps99ca2798.jpg

The AT really is everything the AW was, plus the new features. AX and AT:

P1010082_zpsbb42e209.jpg

Had a crack with it on the indoor 100m range. Accuracy was what you'd expect from an AI (some targets visible in the bolt pics above.) P1010087_zps29cf8817.jpg

Also removed and refitted the barrel during a 10 shot string. Result was a single group.:

P1010088_zps3dcdf6ed.jpg

I was asked not to photograph the barrel locking mech. It's simple and in terms of torque, when done up, makes the barrel more firmly fixed than on a fully torqued AW/AE.

Not my best photo; the quick change barrels have flats to facilitate field removal of any that have been on for years and gunked in place:

P1010086_zps381edc65.jpg

A pallet of AT goodness. I believe this lot went to Sporting Services last week:

P1010072_zpsb1858d67.jpg

AEs still in production; a contract batch being prepared with rear monopod (an option not normally available):

P1010056_zps6ba98d0f.jpg

AWs - both AWs and AEs will be supported 'forever' - contract customers still order both models for commonality of training and parts with their existing rifles.

P1010069_zpsaf6d7b3d.jpg

Now I'm really jealous of your visit….

Now I'm really jealous of your visit….

Had a crack with the new AX too... :P

The right folding stock is a MAJOR step forward.

P1010092_zps10dffe86.jpg

Although, for reasons I don't understand (perhaps a muscle-memory thing because I've always had AWs) I found the AT easier to shoot.

P1010087_zps29cf8817.jpg

AWs and AEs will be supported 'forever' - contract customers still order both models for commonality of training and parts with their existing rifles.

Thanks for clarifying this, I take it this shall also be for every iteration or 'mark' of AE rifle also.

A very interesting and informative post.

FFS

I take it the new configuration right hand folder stock piece is retro fittable to "old"version AX chassis……..?

If they are designing a new bipod for the AX series , to me it should be something like the Revolution bipod made by Eliteiron in hte USA , as thats the one I am looking at for my AX , have not seen anything else , I would like to use on this rifle .

Later Chris

Thank you for posting more AI pics and information.

When I was looking at the six lugs on the bolt, it reminded me of some pics ROLEXrifleman put on sniper's hide.

The third bolt down with the AE type shroud, from a 94 vintage AI AT.

A link for those that are interested.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/49466-ai-bolt-pics.html#post690905

b2_zps583314fa.jpg

Any idea why they use wire erosion for the magazine cutout? do they use the waste block for a part on something else? Only reason I ask is that in a past past past life I worked on wire erosion machines, Charmilles Technology, and its not a quick process , so can only make an educated guess that the internal shape of the mag' well must be too complex for standard machining...

Any idea why they use wire erosion for the magazine cutout? do they use the waste block for a part on something else? Only reason I ask is that in a past past past life I worked on wire erosion machines, Charmilles Technology, and its not a quick process , so can only make an educated guess that the internal shape of the mag' well must be too complex for standard machining...

It's the only way to get an accurate and tight tolerance corner (round mill cutters leave a radius) in the mag well.

This is more prevalent the deeper the mag well is.

The other way to do it is to set up and broach with a suitably manufactured broaching cutter and machine to precisely run it.

EDM is therefore more attractive.

Besides they probably use the same EDM machine to cut the bolt raceway. I know McMillan do that with their Tubb rifles, I've seen them do it.

Archived