FAC Air Rifles -

David Hancock

.., the point of FAC air is the limited maximum range and very low terminal energy at long range, to allow safe shots at elevated angles, right? ..

Absolutely, that's the only reason I got mine.

We live on a lifestyle block with a whole lot of mature trees on two boundaries. Originally, there were no houses within 1500yds of the trees so I could blaze away with the rimfire at anything in or on the trees. Unfortunately, there are now two houses about 400yds past the trees and more pending so that was the end of the rimfire. The Air Wolf has proven ideal for my needs.

I just sold my Air ranger which was a cracking air rifle. Just bought a Ripley XL9 in stainless with a grade three walnut T/hole stock. Now that's a pretty air gun.

Cheers

My FAC air rifle is an old Falcon FN19 in .22. Bought as FAC from new about what must be 20 years or so ago and still going strong. Looks nice too. It is set at 25 ft/lb for which I get 30 good shots. People talk of regulators but with most decent rifles I think it's just gilding the lily. It's carrying a night sight at present and head shooting bunnies at 60-70 yards.

My FAC air rifle is an old Falcon FN19 in .22. Bought as FAC from new about what must be 20 years or so ago and still going strong. Looks nice too. It is set at 25 ft/lb for which I get 30 good shots. People talk of regulators but with most decent rifles I think it's just gilding the lily. It's carrying a night sight at present and head shooting bunnies at 60-70 yards.

hello Shootist , how ofden do you have that serviced ? New seals etc

hello Shootist , how ofden do you have that serviced ? New seals etc

It's been serviced twice in it's life. Once for a 'routine' service, and the second time when it was converted by Falcon from single shot to magazine. Other than that, nothing. It holds pressure fine.

People talk of regulators but with most decent rifles I think it's just gilding the lily.

I'd put good money on your falcon never being put over a chrono!

Standard valving in an airgun results in a pronounced velocity curve as the pressure drops in the cylinder. I had a falcon fn19 running at 23ftlb. Lovely rifle with magazine and skeleton stock but if you fired a string of 30 shots at any distance you could see the poi riseing then falling as the power levels changed. This is far less pronounced on the higher shot count 12ftlb models.

When it was new, I chrono'ed my BT regulated FX running at 28ftlb. It had a variation of 4fps over 45 shots. That's like voodoo magic in Fac air terms!

If you want decent shot count at a consistent velocity, you need a regulator.

Rup

I'd put good money on your falcon never being put over a chrono!

Standard valving in an airgun results in a pronounced velocity curve as the pressure drops in the cylinder. I had a falcon fn19 running at 23ftlb. Lovely rifle with magazine and skeleton stock but if you fired a string of 30 shots at any distance you could see the poi riseing then falling as the power levels changed. This is far less pronounced on the higher shot count 12ftlb models.

When it was new, I chrono'ed my BT regulated FX running at 28ftlb. It had a variation of 4fps over 45 shots. That's like voodoo magic in Fac air terms!

If you want decent shot count at a consistent velocity, you need a regulator.

Rup

Then you would be the poorer I've had two chronos for many years, and I always check my air rifles regularly. Yes indeed there is a power curve, but a chrono check will show what it is. Once you know, you don't overpressure on charging so that end of the deal is OK, and you also know how many shots you'll get within spec. You get the best from when the power is climbing slightly to just before the power starts to drop exponentially. I have 4 eight shot magazines which means the last 4 shots are going to drop a bit low, but I rarely get that far during a shoot. The installation of a regulator introduces an extra mechanical device which is another potential failure, Then there is the expense. The question becomes "Is it worth it?" In something like a .177 BSA Ultra I'd say yes, simply because without it the shot count is dismal. I doubt that for practical use the installation of a regulator is worthwhile. I have the figures for the last full test I did somewhere. If I can find them I'll publish them here.

There's your question, what is "in spec"? If you are an accuracy nut like the person that my post was aimed at then specs need to be very tight.

I appreciate that retro fitting a regulator is a lot of bother but if buying new or s/h I reckon it's a no brainer, get one with it already fitted.

My apologies for the assumption, I'm very interested to see your results.

I do know that after the consistency of my FX, the falcon would drive me nuts.

It's been serviced twice in it's life. Once for a 'routine' service, and the second time when it was converted by Falcon from single shot to magazine. Other than that, nothing. It holds pressure fine.

Aah , i found my S410 would make the seals go hard after a couple of year , A full service sorts this out and accuracy is soo much better after :)

• 2 weeks later...

But pretty impressive from an off the shelf rifle. A link below to Ted Bier's review for anyone who has not seen it.

What is it with air rifle stock designers?!

Is it the Stevie Wonder school of stock design, or do they design their stocks in windowless rooms with the lights out?

If that stock had been taken straight back from the action, instead of dipping down to the butt (unlike any conventional bullpup rifle design in existence) the bloke would have had exactly the same head position, but with the bonus of having something to rest his cheek on.

What is it with air rifle stock designers?!

Is it the Stevie Wonder school of stock design, or do they design their stocks in windowless rooms with the lights out?

If that stock had been taken straight back from the action, instead of dipping down to the butt (unlike any conventional bullpup rifle design in existence) the bloke would have had exactly the same head position, but with the bonus of having something to rest his cheek on.

It must have been designed for blokes to rest their 'staches on.... It's fully covering the blokes in the picture but it would be comfortable even with the largest handlebar!

• 2 months later...

I checked my FAC Falcon FN19 yesterday, from a full charge (possibly could have had a bit more). For better or worse, here's the results. It was checked using AA Hunter. It's about 25 ft/lb, which seems to be the best balance, IMO.

With reference to fitting a regulator, I spoke to someone who makes them and he expressed the opinion that fitting one to my rifle would be a waste of time, as the lost volume that the reservoir would have as a result of fitting the regulator would negate any improvement in shot count.. Arguably, fitting one might improve accuracy, but then again it might not, and the rifle shoots 'minute of bunny nut' at up to 75 yards if I do my bit, so that's good enough for me. I get about 20-25 good shots on target, which is more than enough for me on the shoots where I use this rifle.

FN19stringgraph_zps0daf3ac9.jpg

Hay Guys,

This is my S310 running at 29ft lbs....one hole at 60yds using airarms field :)099_zps8aa2e9be.jpg

I had the same rifle great tool ;)

Gaz

I'm a daystate man myself. Have had one in 177 , .20 .22 and a dog of a Webley patriot in .25. I still have my harrier x putting out 30ftlb. More than enough power for out to about 70 yards or so . After that I get the walther gsp carbine out!

Archived