.223 twist rates

tealo

Hey I'm after a .223 and was very keen on a tikka super varmint advertised and it has a 1in12. I'm looking to shoot long range crows, vermin, foxs and have no idea what twist rate is suitable. The reason I wanted the super varmint really was its adjustable cheek piece, rail and heavy stainless barrel for under £1000.

The other option I thought about was to get a barrel and action and a custom stock from somewhere like joe west as he's no too far away from me. The action and barrel would have to be around £600 and something he could inlet. Does any one know whether its possible.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 22-250 and I am stuck with 1-12" barrel in my SSG69. I only can dream to have at least 1-9" or even 1-8". Now I am going to be trying some 64gr Berger bullets. I have shot with 52gr Amax at 400 yards no probs but had to dodge the gusty wind. I am happy to fire 8 rounds within 5" disc on a windy day.

If you are looking for a cheap barrel Brian Fox sell Bergara barrel. Apparently worth the cash for a good varminter.

you wont go wrong with baldie he built mine

1tikkafatboy.jpg

this is what it did with 75 amax at 100 yds

100_2509.jpg

1 in 8 twist.

yours was the gun we had in mind when we spoke to dave but daves own rifle with a rem varmint profile felt so good now we dont know which one to go for pritty sure going to stick to a 9 twist now though

Been searching through guntrader for a tikka varmint stainless or heavy remmy stainless for a month. So how far could I get out to with a 1-12 is it just the fact the lesser grain bullet gets effected by the wind or is it something else.

hi buddy just looked on trader if your not set on the tikka theres a remy 700 police with mod for 899 that will have a 9" twist barrel should go up to 70gr heads may be more 77gr smk been told recently they shoot well to 600yrd.much better stock than the tikka just add a cheek bag.i do like tikkas though.as for the 12" twist my sons tikka also shoots 60gr vmax

I know where there is a standard tikka t3 lite blued barrel in .223 with the 1/8 twist £350 last time I was at the RFD. Pm me if you want details. Stick it in a joe west stock wih adjustable cheek piece, and a year or two down the line rebarrel into something else if you fancy a change.

Baldies "fat boys" look fantastic, I have a sako 591 in .243 that is going to get the same treatment once I get everything sorted and the factory stock down to joe west to copy an inlet into one of his thumbhole tactical stocks.

I know where there is a standard tikka t3 lite blued barrel in .223 with the 1/8 twist £350 last time I was at the RFD. Pm me if you want details. Stick it in a joe west stock wih adjustable cheek piece, and a year or two down the line rebarrel into something else if you fancy a change. Baldies "fat boys" look fantastic, I have a sako 591 in .243 that is going to get the same treatment once I get everything sorted and the factory stock down to joe west to copy an inlet into one of his thumbhole tactical stocks.

thats a good way to go tealo,dont let the lite barrel put you off just dont put shot after shot through it keep it cool and i dont think youd know the differance between the varmint weight

I know where there is a standard tikka t3 lite blued barrel in .223 with the 1/8 twist £350 last time I was at the RFD. Pm me if you want details. Stick it in a joe west stock wih adjustable cheek piece, and a year or two down the line rebarrel into something else if you fancy a change. Baldies "fat boys" look fantastic, I have a sako 591 in .243 that is going to get the same treatment once I get everything sorted and the factory stock down to joe west to copy an inlet into one of his thumbhole tactical stocks.

Hell thats cheap, really want stainless stell jobey. Has any one got a ruff price on a Baldie rebarrel. Riflecraft who arn't that far from me want around the £600 mark

Ha ha ha , yes your right PC !!!!!! I use a 1-8 and it shoots 40g to 75g really well , it particularly likes 53 g Amax and 75g Amax

now thats more like it,very interesting as ive been asking about twists for using the very same two heads opinion seemed to be that it was realy one or the other

now thats more like it,very interesting as ive been asking about twists for using the very same two heads opinion seemed to be that it was realy one or the other

Ok, I was keeping out of this, but you just said heads!

C'mon, there's no need for that now

Im using a Steyr pro hunter mountain 20" barrel in .223, has 1 in 9 twist, shoots 50gr sierra 1340's and 60gr vmax at easy 1/2 inch. Haven't tried 69gr so can't comment. Have tried 75gr Amax and best I have got so far has been 2" group at 100m, could run the load a bit hotter but really don't think it will gain anything better with 75gr-needs faster twist - or maybe its not a true 1/9 twist barrel, maybe 1/9.5.

The above rifle soon to be for sale as want a semi custom rifle built.

Ignore the heads nonsense , I know what you mean !

I've found that that the 53g Amax head and the 75g Amax head will both group under 1/2" if I do my bit , I don't know what your criteria is but that is fine for me

Would it not be best just to use one bullets weight, find an accurate load and stick with it? Is the same poi with each load? Could just imagine been out after Charlie thinking I had the heavy load, spotting a fox 250 yards out, stands like a statue, wont come to call just stands there, shot is on, hold over required amount for the heavier bullet, and put the lighter bullet over its back! Would possibly drive me bonkers!

Archived