.223 twist rates

tealo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi i didnt think it would stabilise the 75grn either but on of the guys at my club told me the 52grn a-max would be to light and to go for 68-75grn instead but iv tried factory loaded 62s & 68s both of which were crap, i know there factory rounds which is why i was going to try some 75grn a-max to see how they did just out of interest :) would a quicker burning powder help stabilise heavier bullets?

Thanks

Rick

Hi i didnt think it would stabilise the 75grn either but on of the guys at my club told me the 52grn a-max would be to light and to go for 68-75grn instead but iv tried factory loaded 62s & 68s both of which were crap, i know there factory rounds which is why i was going to try some 75grn a-max to see how they did just out of interest :) would a quicker burning powder help stabilise heavier bullets?

Thanks

Rick

The old guy is entitled to his errors-it's archaic usage.The othe guy has a point-75s etc have a place-but he shoud have been savvy enough to tell you about twist rates too -lesson:don't believe everything some wannabe pundit at a club says-I've heard 'accuracy' described as hitting a man sized target (and not in the head!) at 100 yardsby such experts.As I suggested,go to 6BR site,and look at the 223 data-including bullet/weight twists.Powder will not fix such mismatch,but there are recommended powders for bullet weights.Note too that the word 'head' will not appear as a misnomer for 'bullet'.

Good shooting at 400!Read,be advised and enjoy.I would just let the partially challenged club 'experts' sleep in peace, and let your groups do the talking!See Ronny's refs too for more detail.

george

Thanks for the input guys :) Ronny thanks il have a good look on that sight, George iv learnt to take all the info the guys at the club give me and disregard it and do my own research and tests which is why all the info i post ie my 0.060" group with the 52grn a-max round i loaded myself are fact and not here say, thats not to say i dont want any input from you all its just to say i listen research and then do my own tests.

Thanks

Rick

"what hell dose it matter if we call them heads or bullets we know what is meant,surly you can offer better advice than that"

You are looking for advice, why not follow it and use the correct terminology when it has been politely pointed out?

Bullets are bullets. When assembled with the correct components, case, powder and primer the assembly becomes a "round".

Heads on the other hand are found on pins, nails, shoulders etc....

Pendant mode now switched off.

"what hell dose it matter if we call them heads or bullets we know what is meant,surly you can offer better advice than that" You are looking for advice, why not follow it and use the correct terminology when it has been politely pointed out? Bullets are bullets. When assembled with the correct components, case, powder and primer the assembly becomes a "round". Heads on the other hand are found on pins, nails, shoulders etc.... Pendant mode now switched off.

Well said. We do know what it means,as in ''heads fit into metal thingamajigs full of fuel and a sparker at the other end,and go off in a gun.'' I wil accept 'round' in military useage,but otherwise it's a cartridge,or more generically 'ammunition' when the context is clear(in a gun of the correct specification).

george (pedant,not swinger)

ps did you read about the scrapyard worker who flicked his cigarette butt into an 'empty' gas tank?

'Empty' - other than the highly explosive vapour?

Will have to pull you up on the round/ammunition though.

Defined as per concise English dictionary:

Round - a single shot fired from a firearm or gun.

Ammunition - military stores of supplies; powder,shot,shell etc.

Either way, they are individually the correct noun which was my point, why use anything else?

Pork chop. It's simple really. We use the English language to accurately communicate. When a noun is used to accurately describe an item then it makes sense that we all use the same noun to avoid confusion. The use of 'head' is a misnomer when you really mean bullet - you know what you mean but confuse others and worse still may even wrongly inform others leading to yet more confusion.

You say you we're not looking for advice, that's fine, for all I know you may well be far more experienced that I. But please do those with less knowledge than the both of us a huge favour and use the correct names for components which if used in ignorance have huge potential for disaster.

What about a CZ527 varmint laminate 1:9? Shoots 55's and 75's if you want,(though the latter will be single feed due to the increased length). Fit a Karsten adjustable cheek piece and away you go. You can pick up the laminate or the Kevlar version for half the price of the Tikka,(secondhand of course). Yes, they may not be as smooth as the Tikka but they are good tools and I find the trigger pretty good out of the box. Just a thought like.

I was always taught that it was rude to "contradict" folk,..obviously others weren't. If some folk refer to bullets as "heads" then so be it, i know what it means and so do others! My gun shop puts "heads" down on my ticket and my firearms dept uses the same terminology!!.....i hear people refering to "Target gongs" as "dongs" round my area,...does it bother me?...NO, perhaps next time i should take them aside and "educate" them into using the "correct" terminology! i think not. ......with all respect fella's... THIS IS A SHOOTING FORUM NOT AN ENGLISH LESSON!

Regards.

mjr ,not me looking for adviceand my statement still stands what the hell does it matter

gbal ,patronising as well,well done

Pork chop. It's simple really. We use the English language to accurately communicate. When a noun is used to accurately describe an item then it makes sense that we all use the same noun to avoid confusion. The use of 'head' is a misnomer when you really mean bullet - you know what you mean but confuse others and worse still may even wrongly inform others leading to yet more confusion. You say you we're not looking for advice, that's fine, for all I know you may well be far more experienced that I. But please do those with less knowledge than the both of us a huge favour and use the correct names for components which if used in ignorance have huge potential for disaster.

MJR :quite so- as in "empty gas tank".....no ifs,no butts!

Pork chop:don't you mean " patronnen -ising?"

"A word means just what I want it to mean,neither more nor less." It seems that the world splits into those who are happy to live in that kind of Alice's Wonderland,and those who are not.

george(linguistic freedom fighter and terrorist)

I was always taught that it was rude to "contradict" folk,..obviously others weren't. If some folk refer to bullets as "heads" then so be it, i know what it means and so do others! My gun shop puts "heads" down on my ticket and my firearms dept uses the same terminology!!.....i hear people refering to "Target gongs" as "dongs" round my area,...does it bother me?...NO, perhaps next time i should take them aside and "educate" them into using the "correct" terminology! i think not. ......with all respect fella's... THIS IS A SHOOTING FORUM NOT AN ENGLISH LESSON!

Regards.

Just keep using the pills.

Now,is that gratuitously insulting medical advice,or friendly comment "you are right, just keep shooting your way" ?

Point taken-'education, education, education' contradicts some people's heads.And keeping closer to the original thread,one of my French girlfriends used to 'twist her coffee',and we had many a discussion about twist rates in the 36-223-36 ,as the french describe it. ;)

georges

Contradict : to oppose in words, to deny the truth, to assert the opposite of.

NOPE, none of that going on here, just polite enlightenment as to the correct vernacular.

If your friends wish to refer to gongs as dongs, fine. I suspect they enjoy the birdies in the trees, the bah bahs in the fields etc...

THIS IS A SHOOTING FORUM NOT AN ENGLISH LESSON!

I could not agree more. There is such a wealth of knowledge available on this site from shooters far more knowledgable and experienced than I. I see none of these people miss describing items or using misnomers. Just the opposite in fact, accurate descriptions of their experiences to further help and educate others. Excellent!

Archived