Best barrels out there and their availability in the UK - Page 2 - Other Sporting Rifles - UK Varminting

UKV Topic Header Banner (sys)
Photo

Best barrels out there and their availability in the UK

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 snakeman

snakeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

If you have one calibre with a Bartelin (because it seems the most favoured judging by the responses?)....and the other rifle tubed with a Border (or any make of barrel for that matter) I would be very interested to see what 'you' determine as which is the best barrel....and then see what someone else who fires them determines as which is 'the best'

Most new barrels in the calibres you mention will shoot .5" with careful load development in the right hands shooting in ideal conditions...and that includes factory barrels...However, put your new, 'best re-barrelled' rifle in the hands of a shooter who struggles with point of aim, for whatever reason, and it's then you'll discover you've been advised of well-meant but, personal preferences.  

As for re-barrelling your .'bog-standard' 243, why? ...It's approx the same cost to buy a new Tikka as it would be to re-barrel. A new Sako produced barrel will print as accurate a group as any custom barrel, all specs being equal. Economically speaking, better off to buy a new rifle

UKV Topic First Post Banner (sys)

#22 caerhays sniper

caerhays sniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Shooting and Dog training

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Dasherman has just taken a wee delivery of bartlein barrels. About £160k if I remember rightly.
Had a creedmoor built last year by him, on a bartlein R5 into a Tikka action. Very quick turnaround and attention to detail was top draw.
Will be having a 223 built in the not to distant future by him again to match the creedmoor.

I would 2nd for this also had a Creedmoor built on a Remington action using the same Bartlein barrel and been very impressed.
6mm Evolution
6.5 Creedmoor
17 Fireball
17HMR

#23 Danpd

Danpd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:African Hunting, Deerstalking, Rifles, Ballistics, Watches

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Bartlein barrels have consistently performed well for me. Their attention to detail is outstanding with normally less than a .0002 variance in size from the nominal bore dimensions and exhibiting

exceptional straightness.

#24 terryh

terryh

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 1,905 posts
  • Interests:Primarily tacticool rifles, history with BPCR's, but pretty much anything with a trigger.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

Big Al,

Sounds like you're skirting things a bit here?

In the very first conversations you have with your potential client you should be listening to what they say, finding out to what they expect and guiding them and stating what you can provide 'as a minimum' - this is the 'contract' bit.

As pointed out 'Gnats Arse' give a guarantee'd minimum.

Thinking back I've had rifles (and pistols) built by a slack hand full (got to be close to 20) of different Smiths on both sides of the pond using many different barrel makers (10++) and they have all worked as agreed, if not better. One of the US smiths does work that people pin their lives on - so that's another 'feel good' factor when dealing with them.

So I'll stick with my initial statement - Smith, timeline, cost - barrel last, caveat the 'Smith' bit would include the points in sentence 2 above.

So if i went to Dan and asked for a rifle, he'd say he would recommend Bartlein then you'd go with this - simples.

Brgds Terry

#25 Big Al

Big Al

Advanced Member

• Yellow Riband
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

Big Al,

Sounds like you're skirting things a bit here?

In the very first conversations you have with your potential client you should be listening to what they say, finding out to what they expect and guiding them and stating what you can provide 'as a minimum' - this is the 'contract' bit.

You will be glad to hear I skirt nothing Terry.

Indeed the conversation you suggest I should have in fact takes place with every rifle I agree to build. I wont start a build until my customer and I are on the same page with regard to spec, function and accuracy. How I run my business wasn't really the point here. 

I fully agree with your feeling that is there is a problem you should be able to go back to the builder for immediate repair. I was simply pointing out that what you said about giving the rifle back if it didn't work wasn't quite as simple or cut and dried as it sounded. I have spoken with guys who have not found this to be as simple as you suggest.

All aspects of a rifles function should always be right, that goes without saying but the ultimate question of accuracy seems to vary from builder to builder.

Im very happy with my own standards in terms of workmanship and accuracy.

#26 terryh

terryh

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 1,905 posts
  • Interests:Primarily tacticool rifles, history with BPCR's, but pretty much anything with a trigger.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:38 AM

Alan,

To prevent this becoming circular and well off subject, lets make it binary:

You agree with your client the full spec and expected minimum accuracy (with caveats!) before the build: yes/no?

If the rifle does not meet the agreed spec. and performance you will put it right, at no extra charge, in a reasonable, defined time frame: yes/no?

Brgds T

#27 Big Al

Big Al

Advanced Member

• Yellow Riband
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Alan,

To prevent this becoming circular and well off subject, lets make it binary:

You agree with your client the full spec and expected minimum accuracy (with caveats!) before the build: yes/no?

If the rifle does not meet the agreed spec. and performance you will put it right, at no extra charge, in a reasonable, defined time frame: yes/no?

Brgds T

Without any doubt my answer is yes Terry to both of your questions.

Having said that, Ive never had a rifle that didn't meet the agreed criteria and accuracy so far. Only occasionally Ive had to take an advisory role in load development to ensure it was done thoroughly and correctly so we arrived at the levels set out in our 'contract'. I dont actually quote accuracy figures per se, I just show a prospective customer the results from rifles built previously in that caliber and of a similar hardware spec but then again Im not quoting 0.5moa at 100yds, that would be easy and any build/rebarrel will do that with minimum load development.

As I said earlier though, this isn't about me or how I run my business, I have no concerns about how I build my rifles and how I look after my customers. I would guess that we would both be in agreement about how things should be.

I simply commented on what you said here about returning the rifle because I dont think the reality of people being able to do this every time with every rifle builder is as simple as you unintentionally made it look. Im not suggesting your trying to deceive anyone here, maybe you have had few problems or have dealt with the good guys who always looked after you well but I know that isn't always how it goes.

I know from recent conversations and experiences of what people bring me that sometimes when things dont go smoothly or when accuracy hasn't been whats expected the support you have suggested isn't always there from the guy who built the rifle for them, sad but true from what I can see. 

#28 deerman

deerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Good to see that the thread has picked up again after a lull. Thanks a lot to all those who have been sharing their views and experiences, which is invaluable to the uninitiated.

#29 David Hancock

David Hancock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Back to the OP - So what is the best barrel ? - top three

#30 264wm

264wm

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

Its all well and good having  a sub moa rifle  built, but  if your marksmanship skills run a  little  larger.. :D .

#31 srvet

srvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Everything that goes bang, pop or fizz

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

I would say Bartlein, Kreiger and Brux but to be honest you could add perhaps a dozen other names in

#32 terryh

terryh

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

DH,

Personnaly I do not think you can put a label on which are the best barrels over any other - how do you define what are the 'deliverables'? Possibly looking at who's won what using which make?

You could list which barrels people have had good experiences with but a 'good' barrel fitted but a 'less than good' Smith probably negates any quality barrel.

I have had 'good' experiences with the following barrels, some more than once and in no order of merit,

CF: Schultz & Larsen, Bartlien, Kreiger, Lilja, Benchmark, Shilen, Douglas, Border, Broughton,
BPCR: Badger, Green Mountain, Shiloh.
22RF: Benchmark, Green Mountain, Anschultz

But my original point stands, work out what you want from the rifle then find a Smith who you are happy to deal with and agree everything before you start, cost, delivery time etc. Then there are no surprises or disappointments.

T

#33 bradders

bradders

Advanced Member

• Yellow Riband
  • 3,115 posts
  • Interests:The art of the Black Rifle

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

There is no such thing as a 'best barrel'

There are good barrels, very good barrels and ones that you wouldn't touch wth a barge pole.

What constitutes 'best'?

#34 Tikka4Sika

Tikka4Sika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

There is no such thing as a 'best barrel'

There are good barrels, very good barrels and ones that you wouldn't touch wth a barge pole.

What constitutes 'best'?

So what are the ones to avoid ? maybe an easier question to answer? 

#35 snakeman

snakeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

The barrels without any beer in?   ;)

#36 Dorset Winmag

Dorset Winmag

• Basic Trade
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Ive had a Bartlein fitted by Dasherman (Neil) and it is excellent.....shoots well and cleans with ease!

Some smiths don't like Walther's but I have one on a Steve Bowers rifle and again that is a top barrel and again cleans with ease!

#37 onehole

onehole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

Cant honestly name a best barrel in my user experience but only used two Smiths spanning some 20 years I guess,,,,Russ Gall and Neil Mckillop.Russ favoured Kreiger for the time he looked after me and others who followed my recommendation,,,,,,absolutely top drawer ,,,as is,,,,,Neil,,,and has fitted Bartlein,,Border and Pacnor to equal satisfaction and unable to tell any difference in barrel performance once load development has taken place.All makes have exhibited the 100 yd .2,s and .3,s sort of performance that the common man good shooter should be able to achieve on a good day...even .2,s and .3,s do not come easy and demand huge input in shooter and launch platform.Recent builds by Neil have used Bartlein barrels in 22PPC and 6BR,,,both shot under .5 c to c at 200 yards this weekend in good conditions,,,,All barrels in the non burner cals seem to wane a bit after 2.5/3k of slow single shot use,,,,,,,O

#38 Big Al

Big Al

Advanced Member

• Yellow Riband
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Its all well and good having  a sub moa rifle  built, but  if your marksmanship skills run a  little  larger.. :D .

Having the most accurate rifle you can is an advantage regardless of your shooting ability.

If you know your rifle can shoot in the 0.2s when used competently then if your not doing that you then know its pilot error and it gives you something to work towards, improving your technique.

Not knowing if the poor groups are down to you are the rifle is a difficult and frustrating situation to be in.

#39 Chris-NZ

Chris-NZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, varminting, target shooting, duck shooting (socially). Sea and trout fishing

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

There is no doubt that Bartlein and Krieger are excellent barrels. Have has great results with both. Having said that, my most accurate rifle has a Shilen though it is a 6.5x47..

I can only ditto the gunsmith variable. A poor one will turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users