homemade steel targets

aye aye lads

quick one for you?

im gonna make some rabbit n crow shaped steel targets for plinking,

gonna be shooting with .22-250, & .25-06

any recmmendations on whay thickness of steel plate i should be usiing????

sauer / paul

what range you planning on shooting them at? 22-250 will plough thourgh 3/8" plate at 100 yards with ease. half inch minimum i would recommend! any bog standard mild steel will do, you can sledge out the dents and mig up the craters!

I made some gongs quickly out of some 5mm plate off cuts i had in the workshop and the 308 with 155 scenars punched through at 500 yards!

I've been told old JCB buckets make good gongs.

The earthmoving gods would frown apon that last statement haha! Whos selling buckets off cheap enough to cut up! if you know please tell!! lol

Paul,

No matter what you end up making them from if you angle them slighlty (10-15 deg) so you are not shooting them 'square on' they tend to last longer. I was told this by a steel target maker in the US and it seemed to work on our steels.

Also hanging them from a chain works well at dissapating the shock

NB if you use any form of 'tough' steel do not weld onto it or flame cut the shape - it will remove the 'strength' drill holes or water cut the shape.

T

cheers for the replies guys!!!

being a welder by trade ( dont work at it now tho ) i should bwe able to hack out summit with the oxy-acetelene , but i certainly dont have access to a water cutter!!!!

but

my old foreman is gonna have a go cutting out wabbits n crows shapes with a "laser eye" it follows a pattern on paper then it burns it out with oxy-acetelene ...so see how comes out

cheers

sauer

Hi sauer,

I have a little experience making steel targets, having made a couple of 5" diametre steel swingers for this years UKV Challenge shoot.

For the 200yd target i elected to go for a mild steel billit 1" thick, have a look HERE

This was hit with nothing heavier then a 308 and although did a complete swing around the axis sustained quite a lot of damage.

We came to the conclusion that the 1" thick disc was too thick and heavy and absorbed to much energy to set it into momemtum.

We shall be experimenting with lighter thinner units before next years shoot.

Ian.

Hi sauer,

I have a little experience making steel targets, having made a couple of 5" diametre steel swingers for this years UKV Challenge shoot.

For the 200yd target i elected to go for a mild steel billit 1" thick, have a look HERE

This was hit with nothing heavier then a 308 and although did a complete swing around the axis sustained quite a lot of damage.

We came to the conclusion that the 1" thick disc was too thick and heavy and absorbed to much energy to set it into momemtum.

We shall be experimenting with lighter thinner units before next years shoot.

Ian.

Ian your link doesnt seem to be opening for me ??

Mick

Cheers Ian..will have a look

Sauer have you ever been here...www.wms-firearmstraining.org...andrew who owns it also has bullet proof steel tgt which he does also sell i had a few crow and rabbit ones of him a few yrs ago..and just ordered 2 sitting fox tgts...only prob is getting them delivered but for crow and rabbit i think i paid 30 quid each..worth a look.

Mick

Don't know if it's any good for you guys in the UK but what most people make long range gongs from over here is a steel called Hardox. They use it for lorry beds over here(probably also in buckets and snow ploughs) as we have alot of rock to move. Don't know if Hardox is a type of steel or just a trademark name.

Regards Toby

Toby hardox if just a trademark name for the steel, the tines on the buckrake are hardox very srong indeed and very springy, not sure how it would stand up to being cut with the gas tho~?

Sauer IMHO just look round a scrappys, or fabricatrs scrap bin, pic out anything thats about 1/2 inch thick plate strap it up to a frame on a chain or rubber strap and blat away at it :D its gonna get knocked about alot anyway so the cheaper the steel the better!

oh

yer speaking to a scotsman here , ill no be paying for steel!!!!!!!!!!

my mate works where i served my time , il pay for roe rabbit crow cuts outs form the compouter guided oxy-acetelene torch tho!

but it will all be on scrap oot o the bins !!!!!

sauer

thanks for all the replies gents

Archived