Sako Project .284 Winchester or 6.5x284 ?

I've a Sako Action 5 (pre Model 75) in .270 Winchester that needs rebarrelling and am trying to decide what calibre to go for.

I quite fancy a standard .284 Winchester or possibly a 6.5x284. I am aware that the barrel life on the 6.5x284 is an issue but as this will be a strictly deer/long range vermin rifle I'll probably fire less than 200 rounds a year out of it.

Has anyone on here had their Sako rebarrelled from .270 to another calibre? I'd be interested to hear from you.

Regards

Lee

I've a Sako Action 5 (pre Model 75) in .270 Winchester that needs rebarrelling and am trying to decide what calibre to go for.

I quite fancy a standard .284 Winchester or possibly a 6.5x284. I am aware that the barrel life on the 6.5x284 is an issue but as this will be a strictly deer/long range vermin rifle I'll probably fire less than 200 rounds a year out of it.

Has anyone on here had their Sako rebarrelled from .270 to another calibre? I'd be interested to hear from you.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

I've rebarelled a shot-out .270 Sako L691 to the 7x57 (see the 'handloads' section and the 7x57 thread and you'll see the rifle. It was a straightforward affair as the boltface is the same for the .270 and the 7x57. Don't know whether this is the case with the .270 and the .284Win,

best wishes,

Finman

Thanks Gents.

It looks like the bolt face will need opening up if a go down the 6.5mm-284 route ?

No. The bolt face will be fine. What may cause some grief is the magazine / bolt rail. These may well need opening up to accommodate the straighter case.~Andrew

Regards

Lee

Talking about calibre choices, why not a .280Rem? I'd go for that faster than the .284Win...and you won't have much of a boltface issue as well with the .280 (but I may be wrong!)

Finman

The 280 is a great cartridge and wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I've built many of them and none failed to deliver accuracy and power. It would be an easy rebarrel with no bolt face or magazine alterations.~Andrew

The 280 is a great cartridge and wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I've built many of them and none failed to deliver accuracy and power. It would be an easy rebarrel with no bolt face or magazine alterations.~Andrew

Andrew

Whats your opinion off the 280 Ackley?

Ballistics look impressive and now Nosler offer Ackley Brass of alleged quality it would seem an even more attractive option.

Its a cartridge that has always appealed.

Do not wish to go off topic but seen as it was heading down the 280 track :D

Nick.

Andrew

Whats your opinion off the 280 Ackley?

Ballistics look impressive and now Nosler offer Ackley Brass of alleged quality it would seem an even more attractive option.

Its a cartridge that has always appealed.

Do not wish to go off topic but seen as it was heading down the 280 track :D

Nick.

Hi Nick

Not off track at all, I'm now considering it as an option.

Lee

I also like 280 Ackley it would be my choice for an all out deer rifle :)

Ian.

Bit overkill for the smaller varieties surely, Jed had a .270, he said that Roe front shoulders were usually dog meat. Mind you there would not be any runners !!.

Our mate Peter also likes the .280AI, he showed me a dummy case in his workshop.

A

Bit overkill for the smaller varieties surely, Jed had a .270, he said that Roe front shoulders were usually dog meat. Mind you there would not be any runners !!.

Our mate Peter also likes the .280AI, he showed me a dummy case in his workshop.

A

I would look at either 25-06, 6.5-06 or 280.

The 284 or 6.5-284 will reduce your mag capacity from 5 to 4 in the sako.

Hi Nick

Not off track at all, I'm now considering it as an option.

Lee

I'm afraid you're asking the wrong guy about Ackleys... at least if you want positive feedback. I have built and owned Ackley chambered rifles and still own one, at least, and have found no appreciable increase in performance. In the Ackley 280 you might get 150 fps with a 140 grain bullet on the max end using the slowest powder (like 4831) but otherwise you're feeding more powder and getting not a lot for it unless you add on a bunch of barrel length.

Oh, sure: Brass life. Really? On a 30-06 based case that's a consideration that off-sets the cost of a custom barrel and dies? Not for me. JMHO, of course.~Andrew

I'm afraid you're asking the wrong guy about Ackleys... at least if you want positive feedback. I have built and owned Ackley chambered rifles and still own one, at least, and have found no appreciable increase in performance. In the Ackley 280 you might get 150 fps with a 140 grain bullet on the max end using the slowest powder (like 4831) but otherwise you're feeding more powder and getting not a lot for it unless you add on a bunch of barrel length.

Oh, sure: Brass life. Really? On a 30-06 based case that's a consideration that off-sets the cost of a custom barrel and dies? Not for me. JMHO, of course.~Andrew

Andrew you opinion is valid and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes the barrel length is a consideration, 26" max on all my sporting/non dedicated target rifles and not the 28", 30" or longer lengths I have seen on some 6.5-284s

I went the 6.5x284 route.Sako 75 originally in 25/06 and a Dasherman pacnor re-barrel 22" in length

This rifle produces near one hole groups even with some factory ammo that I picked up cheap.In all honesty it probably didn't have to be as accurate as it is for a purely stalking rifle but an accurate rifle doesn't half fill you with confidence.

Andrew you opinion is valid and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes the barrel length is a consideration, 26" max on all my sporting/non dedicated target rifles and not the 28", 30" or longer lengths I have seen on some 6.5-284s

true true

Archived