my first rifle stock from my machine....opinions please :)

I have been designing a machine to make rifle and shotgun stocks over the past months, and have finally got the design of the machine as I want it.

I had my first go with it at the weekend, and am quite pleased with the results.

I made the stock blank myself by laminating some uteal and silver birch together using a vacuum press.

It is by no means finished, but was only really a practice piece to test the machine, and hasnt really had much sanding yet.

I would be interested to hear your comments and thoughts

http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/b.../rifle%20stock/

hope this link works

Looks great mate be good to see the finished product wehn all done but from the stage its at now looks like its gonna be a belta...i prefer the thumbhole stocks.

What rifle is that going on ? you doing them for CF rifles ?

Mick

Hello Mick,

Yeah, they are for CF rifles, or anthing else for that matter. This one was just a test and probably wont go on a rifle, but the next one will be black walnut/maple laminate and should look way better.

I can inlet them for any rifle.

I didnt build the machine to make the stocks to sell, it was just to make stocks for mine and my friends rifles, so that we could have made to fit stocks.

If anyone was interested though, I could sort some out.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Bullet, nice work mate, i presume you have built a duplicating machine this is something i have been looking into myself, i would love to see a piccy of your machine :blink:

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Yes it is basically a duplicating machine, but I have developed it over the past six months or so to get the design absolutely as I want it, and to make it very accurate.

It has had quite a few design changes and a hell of a lot of time spent on it, but I am pleased with how it performs now.

It started off as a fairly small project (as they all do!) but sort of spiralled out of control as I wanted it to be perfect. And so it has now cost a small fortune to get it to where it is.

Still, its better than just leaving your money in the bank for Mr Cameron take away from you :blink:

As for the lefties, to be honest, it was something I have overlooked, as I only built the machine for making stocks for myself and friends. If I do decide to start making stocks for others, which is looking likely, then I dont see why I cant make left handed ones (more machine modifications to look forward to :rolleyes: )

I will take a few pics tomorrow.

Cheers

If you can turn out coloured laminate stocks for the same sort of prices that Boyd,s do in the states, the british gun trade will beat a path to your door. We have tried several times to get a simple stock made here for 10/22,s at a reasonable price that equates to importing one. No one in the UK would do it.

If you are serious about making some, and the quality and prices are right, we would give you a large order straight away.

Good luck with your venture, the pics look excellent.

If you can turn out coloured laminate stocks for the same sort of prices that Boyd,s do in the states, the british gun trade will beat a path to your door. We have tried several times to get a simple stock made here for 10/22,s at a reasonable price that equates to importing one. No one in the UK would do it.

If you are serious about making some, and the quality and prices are right, we would give you a large order straight away.

Good luck with your venture, the pics look excellent.

You can say that again! I know a couple of very good GS's that cater for the fullbore target fraternity that are really struggling to source good quality stocks, particularly now Mastin aren't really exporting much. Especially if they a) look nice and :mad: can be tweaked to suit! Could you be convinced to do more? :angry:

I assume that fitting things like adjustable cheek pieces is relatively simple once you've got the basic stock shape made...?

Cheers

John

Welcome Paul.

Looks like all your hard work has paid off, a great looking start, would love to see a finished stock. Are you set up for inletting as well ???

The future looks bright, costs pending.

You must have a pretty awesome gun collection to have gone to all this trouble for the sake of you and your buddies :mad: ........... Tell us more about your boys toys....... :angry:

Good luck and all the best

Steve

Welcome Paul.

Looks like all your hard work has paid off, a great looking start, would love to see a finished stock. Are you set up for inletting as well ???

The future looks bright, costs pending.

You must have a pretty awesome gun collection to have gone to all this trouble for the sake of you and your buddies :mad: ........... Tell us more about your boys toys....... :angry:

Good luck and all the best

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks, I am quite pleased with the results, and am going to pick up some american black walnut and some maple tomorrow for the next stocks.

Yes, I am fully set up for inletting the stocks, and have experience in Devcon bedding and pillar bedding too.

As for my guns, I have a McMillan Bros. MCRT rifle in .243 with a NF NXS 8-32x56 on top which shoots awesome. This is my favourite rifle. Not too many of them around in the UK either.

I have a Tikka M558 in .222 which has a custom laminated thumbhole stock and is glass and pillar bedded. It has a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 on it.

My .17hmr is an Anschutz 1517HB which is in a AI stock and has a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 on it.

I also have an Anschutz .22lr match 64 which I have bedded into a thumbhole laminate stock which I use at the local gun club.

I have a couple of shotguns aswell, 12 shot beretta xtrema 2 auto and a Beretta silver pigeon 5.

I plan on making some shotgun stocks too, maybe also from coloured laminate.

As I get into it more, I have no problems with making stocks for people if they desire one.

Thanks

Paul.

any chance of doing one for me to fit my sako quad please

I still want to do a few more first mate, including four for friends, but once I've done them, then yes, I would be able to make you one. I will post pics of the next few on here, and let you know when I have some ready and going spare.

Fantastic to see,,

Hope that all goes well for you,,,

Please could you post a pic of your 17hmr,, So that i could see the stock that you have on it???

AI stock,, i have got a 1517d

Darrel

post-10183-1274805724_thumb.jpg

I hope this attachment works, its the first time i've tried it.

The stock is'nt a full blown AI, but is based on it. It is from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks. I bought it and then inlet it myself for the Anschutz action.

I still want to do a few more first mate, including four for friends, but once I've done them, then yes, I would be able to make you one. I will post pics of the next few on here, and let you know when I have some ready and going spare.

post-10183-1274805724_thumb.jpg

I hope this attachment works, its the first time i've tried it.

The stock is'nt a full blown AI, but is based on it. It is from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks. I bought it and then inlet it myself for the Anschutz action.

MMMMMMM...............can you inlet for any action.................I fancy something nice for my T3 but cant get any either lefty stocks or something that I like the look of that will fit the action.....

Hi, Bullet243 if & hopefully when you start making stocks as baldie said I think you could be a very busy bee.I would definately want something for my Rugers to sit in that were alittle different got a Hogue on one & Boyds on the other (243 & 204). Good luck

Well, the walnut has arrived, and I have opted for ash to contrast it in the laminations, as it is lighter coloured than maple.

Will try and get some made this weekend and post up some pics.

Thanks for the comments, and hopefully if everything goes according to plan, I should be able to help you guys out with stocks in the near future.

Hi Bullet,

Some idea into your back ground would be appreciated mate, i am presuming you are involved in the joinery/carpentary industry? Thanks

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I am Mechanical/Electrical Service engineer. I have been in the engineering trade all my working life, in design, manufacturing and service roles, and this allowed me to design and build the machine which is making these stocks to a high standard.

I have also always had an interest in wood as a hobby (woodturning etc) and this project was something where I could combine both.

As said earlier, it was intended that I build the machine to make stocks for mine and my friends rifles, but it seems a waste, and a little selfish, if I dont put the machine to more use, and offer them to others.

I just need a little more time to try other wood combinations and styles in order to build up an inventory of stocks.

Once I have a few, I will post details on here, and if anyone wants one, then it can be arranged.

I am interested to see how the walnut/ash stocks look, as I reckon they provide nice contrasting colours.

Cheers

Archived