how far do you take it...............

lancslad

right all you lot...........

What are your "tollerance" levels on the rounds that you make.

Say you have an OAL of 1900. and you are making your rounds and they are coming out at 1898 and 1902, are you happy.???

or do you pull the bullet and redo it.

I have started to measure my rounds from the Ogive of the bullet after some advice, using a soft point head I was getting a number of variations due to the "dings" in the soft point lead tip, but even though Im measuring from the ogive, Im still getting a couple of thou difference.

This gun is my hunting rifle, so Im not bothered about cloverleafing......anything within 1/2 to and inch and Im happy.

Cases are trimmed etc etc..............but what else can be causing this difference...........ps, newish to reloading so be gentle..........

As gentle as I can get: Quit measuring the loaded rounds once you've set the die! Pulling the bullets and seating them again, using the same equipment, will yield...drum roll, please...the exact same results!!

Being anal about things that you can't change is a bad habit to get into. Too many reloaders do it, much to their mental and financial detriment. :lol: ~Andrew

andrew..........Im loving that reply...........................................

as I said.........Im newish to this reloading malarky..................and your comments about being "anal" realy did sing home......

I am far from a "beareded freak"...............as seems to be the general concensus of a picture of a "home loader"

Haiving meausred the "tollerance" levels of standard factory ammo, I was just wondering what others thought.................

I think you may have summed it up.............

I'm by no means a great shot but I don't take that much care at all! On my bigger rounds I throw the powder after giving the hopper a good tapping to settle the powder (I have found that the first few came out differently until it had settled?) and then seat the bullet. Again I check the first five or so to check nothing's been badly knocked out and then I just run them off. All I do is look in the case to be sure the thrower hasn't clogged!

All my rifles shoot sub MOA. I think getting the OAL and charge weight right makes a vast improvement over factory ammo so once that's sorted a bit of variation doesn't seem to matter. With my 6.5 I could clover leaf my 140grn softpoints at 100 yards using this rather lax method so that would give me minute of bunny out to well past my maximum comfortable range!

You can minimise OAL length variation by making sure your press stroke is as consistent as you can be - ie when your reach the mechanical end of movement always be applying the same hand pressure -not hard on some, soft on others.

I also seat a bit, then rotate the cartridge a 1/3 or so, then seat abit more, rotate a bit more and then finish off. Obviously I'm chanting a spell whilst I do that :lol: but I do find it gives straighter ammo too.

JON....TOLD YOU SO...... :lol:

Mick

I know you did.......................but thought it would make a good point for discussion for other people out there to make comment on.....

Not everything you say, I listen too................... :P:blink:

Ps..........one handed reading material in the post for you tomorrow.....and you had better still be there when it arrives....................Ill add the postage onto your tab......................

LANCS LAD-what dies are you using?i had an issue with my redding s-type dies,i was getting inconsistant results with 25 vmaxs for my .17fireball a quick measure of the tips gave a real horror story the tips are variable to say the least but thats mass produced stuff for you.

i solved the problem by removing the seater stem from the seating die and opening it up a bit this didnt cure the problem totally but my home rolled is a lot more consistant and for bunny and fox its acceptable.

Archived