Another bolt job by vermincinerator

Having seen Ians work on Grants bolt at the UKV meet, i decided to get mine done too.

I was told it was not a great idea, but Ian convinced me he was more than capable of producing top class results.

He was definately true to his word, excellent work Ian i am chuffed to bits.

It cycles like silk now and looks good too.... superb job..

As it was....

bmw320062.jpg

And now...

bmw320066.jpg

bmw320071.jpg

Once again Ian thanks a bunch mate.

regards

jma

The jewelling creates circular machine marks that hold onto oil/lubricant. This makes the bolt "silky" when cycling, as the bolt body makes contact on the inside of teh receiver walls. In the US it has fallen out of fashion, much like nickel plated firearms. That said, given good work and the right circumstances, jewelling does improve the feel of the bolt. I still jewell some of my bolts, and all of my 10/22 bolts. With the 10/22, it is the difference between being able to reliably cycle sub-sonics or not in my experience.

Marine

Good points and i realise jewelling is good for holding lubricant. I am going to do my 10/22 now you mention it although i have already removed some of the bolt weight.

Not totally convinced it will make that much difference to a bolt action but it certainly looks pretty.

Cheers

Knew you get something done, i saw your eyes light up at the ukv meet.

Hehe Kip :)

eddieb,

In answer to your question the bolt actually does glide a lot better now.

Parkerised finishes are a tad rough to the touch, dont get me wrong it operated perfectly before... but its streets better now.

regards

jma

Hi John,

I forgot to mention i installed an invisable fireing pin blocking device in your bolt which is timed to activate just before you fire your first shot at the next UKV challenge shoot :o;):lol:

Ian

B):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards

jma

Hi John,

I forgot to mention i installed an invisable fireing pin blocking device in your bolt which is timed to activate just before you fire your first shot at the next UKV challenge shoot :o;):lol:

Ian

lol

Archived