Neck turning for factory rifles

skany

Hi guys

I have a tight neck 243ai so have to use turned brass(wich was done by dasherman when rifle was built)

But is it worth turning the brass for my factory 308win?

Im using lapua brass wich is on its 3rd & 4th firing or should you only do new brass?

reason i ask as i need to order a cutter to do some more 243ai brass & wanderd if i should get the 308 cal bits to!

wht benifits if any would i see !

rifle is a shooter as it is!(and then some:-P)

cheers Andy

I dont think you will see much real impovement in a factory sporting rifle but it wont do any harm if you just take a very light cut.

I have only turned new brass, worked brass will be harder, no idea if it would be turnable without annealing first or even at all.

A

Are you talking about your 7.62 PH ?...how can you honestly make that bugger shoot better.. :P

If you turn the brass, just clean it up with an 80% cut ..if that.

I doubt it will shoot any better, but it may make you shoot it better from a psychological point of view... :D

If it makes you feel better, it could make you shoot better.... ;)

Are you talking about your 7.62 PH ?...how can you honestly make that bugger shoot better.. :P

If you turn the brass, just clean it up with an 80% cut ..if that.

I doubt it will shoot any better, but it may make you shoot it better from a psychological point of view... :D

If it makes you feel better, it could make you shoot better.... ;)

yeah mate it for the parker:-)

your trg posts have got me thinking ,i may load some Amax closer to the lands for kicks @ try it at 500yds to compaire it to the samie spec!

may bung a bit more coal on too to see wht happens(had to stoke up the lapuas to get em to soot!(45.5g of vit 140)

im using 44.5g of vit 150 behind the amax at the mo for about 2740fps

also want to see how the lapuas fair at 500 yds against the amax(wich are bettter at 100yds)

out of intrest how long is lapua bras likely to last in 308 & wheres the cheapest place to buy?

cheers Andy

I went down this route when I bought an old P-H some years ago. It was unexpectedly accurate and I thought I'd coax still smaller groups out of it by neck turning. Didn't work - there was no discernible difference at all. Also I reckon that you work the brass harder if you don't have a tight chamber.

The only remaining doubt in my mind is whether there is a benefit if you use bushing dies. If you don't turn the necks maybe you push any uneveness in brass thickness to the inside of the neck (?)

The 6mmBR website has some good advice on 308 ammo that includes the observations that good factory ammo can hold half a minute of accuracy and "In tactical matches, an extra quarter-MOA of accuracy (from handloads) won't make you a winner if you can't range the targets and dope the wind". Good advice.

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Only if you're using a bushing die that hasn't got an expander button like the Wilson dies or the Forster Bushing-Bump type. In this case, the bushing pushes any out of trueness to the inside of the neck and you use the bullet almost as an expander mandrel on seating which isn't a great idea.

The other thing is that there should be a notice with NT kits on the lines of

"WARNING! Neck-turning is addictive, can result in repeat purchases of cheap B&Q cordless screwdrivers, and may result in expensive divorce proceedings!"

On the other hand, TV is crap these days if you don't like X Factor On Ice or cooking competitions; drinking beer down the pub will probably be unaffordable after the budget; AND there's a frigging election coming that means I probably won't switch the box on most nights. So, neck-turning is as good a way of filling in evenings as any and much cheaper and less trouble than taking on another woman, so why not? It won't do any harm and might do some good!

Laurie

i have just started neck turning for my .22br bought the k+m neck turning kit -mandrels etc from Norman clarkes,once i had figured out the process with a little help from a few very experienced fellows i have turned a few cases to the required neck diameter.

i also thought if i just tidied up a few cases on a few more calibres would i see a return.well i have a .17rem shilen bbl with a 192 neck not custom but near as dammit.so i turned 10 cases for about and this is not exact about 60-70% cleanup i borrowed another bushing[smaller}for my redding dies and loaded said cases with a favourite load for 20vmax.the results on paper were not enough. to make the likes of vince bottomley or laurie quake on the bench ,the results were comparative to my unturned cases so not a good return?well yes i think so i have the basic skills to help improve my end results and surely this is what we strive for it also helps while away the long dark nights .next up the 6br for case trimming.

ok chaps think ill jsut not bother if its that marginal

ill just shoot the crap out of it!

cheers andy

Andy...I checked my .308win Lapua brass tonight for `runout`.....

Loaded rounds, neck sized in reading comp dies, 155 Amax seated with same comp dies,...0.000 runout on the bullet and neck.

Fired rounds in my TRG...on the neck......0.000 runout...

This proves..

A..the chamber is true.

B..My dies are true

C.. This `LOT` of brass is as good as is possible.

What possible good may come from turning necks in this setup ?...I cant see any, so wont be turning any brass. :lol:

Shoot the crap out of it... :unsure:

god knows wht my run out would be but im using fancy lee collet dies so its proberly perfect :unsure:

did find that my full length sized brass was better then my neck only sized loads at 200yds but i had a inkling that didnt push on the press as much as i should off due to the lee press being about to rip apart at the links!

tried again with the die reset in a new press @ 500yds & it printed less then a 1.5" group so im back on neck sizing!

just loading up some 15tho of the lands loads with amaxs

also loading up a few with 45.5g of 140 behind them the same as my scenar load to see how they perform!

normal load is 44.5g of vit150 for 2740fps

cheers Andy

Archived