hi all have been thinking for some time of buying chronograph but having never used one not sure on wot to go for would appreciate some advice would like something that can be easily set up in a field will handle everything from rimfire to 4500 fps doesn't cost the earth

p.s cost not the deciding factor as i only intend on buying once so would like to get it right

cheers b.b

hi all have been thinking for some time of buying chronograph but having never used one not sure on wot to go for would appreciate some advice would like something that can be easily set up in a field will handle everything from rimfire to 4500 fps doesn't cost the earth

p.s cost not the deciding factor as i only intend on buying once so would like to get it right

cheers b.b

Hi Bud.

I have one of the foldable chrony ones,but that is temperamental at times.then i bought the new CED millenium 2 and found about 100 fps diff between the 2.so wasnt sure which one was the accurate one.

When i had chance i was able to check the CED millen 2 along side a OEHLER chrono which are the best you could get and when compared along side i was only getting a few fps diff..so was happy with this.

There was a test done on them also along the OEHLER read below...sounds ok

Here are CED's German defense lab test results for the original Millennium model:

Conditions: Indoors with consistent incandescent lighting for all chronographs

Test Measurement Equipment: Commercial radar velocity instrumentation

Calibers tested: .22, 9mm, 38 super, 40 S &W, 45 ACP, 223 Rem., 308 Win., & 4.5mm

Results: All calibers measured by the CED were within 0.2% (99.8%) of lab recordings, from 0.327% for 223 Rem to 0.081 for 45ACP.

Results were better than all other chronographs. (The venerated Oehler tested 0.3% behind the CED.) The new IR emitters will virtually eliminate any variation caused by differences in natural lighting. If you need a chronograph that will approach the accuracy of commercial radar lab equipment, but do not want to spend $ BIG BUCKS $, try a CED chronograph

check this page out..... http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm

Hope this helps.

Mick

+1 on the temperamental chrony.

I have access to one and it is ok but sometimes, probably light conditions, it is a pain to work with.

I use the CED millenium and have done for a couple of years now and I also purchased the infra red kit for it twelve months after the initial purchase and have found it to be a reliable unit and found the results to be on track with those of a friends ohler chrony

Ian

Micky it is an alpha model.

As I said the results seem believable and sometimes it works fine but then now and again it will miss shots.

Maybe a case of you get what you pay for, I talked work into one so it cost me nothing :lol:

I like the Chrony. I have three of them for calculating Ballistic Coeffecients. I particularly like the printer/ ballistics calculator. Saves me a lot of math! These Chronys are a blessing. I remember when my chronograph read in nano-seconds and you had to look up conversion tables for FPS. Too Boot the darned thing took up the whole trunk of the car and you were forced to shoot through actual screens. Those were NOT the good old days for chronographs!~Andrew

Archived