The end of AW rifles

There was an article in Janes Defence (sept 09, I recall) that stated AI were to release "new" series rifles designated AS and AX.

As far as I can see the AS would be a semi auto platform - now seen as the AS-50.

The AX, well, from the pics ive seen is an AW upper fitted to a modular chassis system reminicent of the Brugger Thomet, PGW Timberwolf (folder) and new Remington MSR rifles.

All using ally chassis, AR15 style grip and butt attachments......

The AW action appears to have been retained.

Would suggest that the "new" series AX's will be sold alongside the AW (and AE)

If it ain't broke,,,,,,etc etc etc

I think its mighty puuurty ;)

Love that style of rifle. Thats a BORS on the top isn,t it ?

My buddy, who has just bought the barrat is intending bringing a couple of those back on his trip to new york in a couple of months.

I told him to get used to the smell of KY jelly and latex........ :)

A guy in the AI booth at shot show 2010 , said that the AW series was being replaced with the AX series , he also only displayed the AX & the AE MK2 , so my take on that is the AW series will be phased out when the AX series gets going in quantity , so maybe late this yr , you will only be able to buy a AX or AE rifle .

Also they have a chassis that looks like the AX available for the Rem 700 type rifles , so maybe the AICS is also to be phased out ?

Later Chris

RE the AW , AX action , yes they probably are very similar , also different , as far as I know the magnum AX action has been discribed as having a larger dia bolt than the AW series , this makes sense as it runs a 10rd double stack / double feed ( so my take in the absense of any real info is its like a scaled UP 308 AW action , which would mean a much larger bolt dia ) .

A guy in the AI booth at shot show 2010 , said that the AW series was being replaced with the AX series , he also only displayed the AX & the AE MK2 , so my take on that is the AW series will be phased out when the AX series gets going in quantity , so maybe late this yr , you will only be able to buy a AX or AE rifle .

Also they have a chassis that looks like the AX available for the Rem 700 type rifles , so maybe the AICS is also to be phased out ?

Later Chris

RE the AW , AX action , yes they probably are very similar , also different , as far as I know the magnum AX action has been discribed as having a larger dia bolt than the AW series , this makes sense as it runs a 10rd double stack / double feed ( so my take in the absense of any real info is its like a scaled UP 308 AW action , which would mean a much larger bolt dia ) .

Chris,

Only just noticed your answer. Makes sense, visited their factory once; it's tiny. I doubt they have the physical capacity to produce both AW and AX.

338 action changes make sense too. Barking that the AWSM can't take all 338 brands.

Bottom line though: My AW's secondhand value just increased :rolleyes:

Bottom line though: My AW's secondhand value just increased :rolleyes:

All that thing needs is a replacement abutment collar and maybe a fresh barrel (when its shot out) and it'l feel like new again :D

I get the feeling this rifle was made to meet PSR specs (just like the Remmy et al), which is why they are all very similar. Also more amd more parts, barrels etc are being made in the US along with an AI factory facility.

I may well order a 338AX but see it as a different thing to my AW's - not an upgrade as it is touted but something yank inspired. That said the ability to accept a 300 grain CIP COL is an improvement.

I dont see AW's vanishing overnight - 20 years worth of Service / refurbishment on existing AW's would be a sizeable market not to support.

David.

I think its mighty puuurty ;)

Love that style of rifle. Thats a BORS on the top isn,t it ?

My buddy, who has just bought the barrat is intending bringing a couple of those back on his trip to new york in a couple of months.

I told him to get used to the smell of KY jelly and latex........ :D

Tell him good luck with that but I don't think Ronnie Barratt will send anything to NY

Was on the AI stand at the shot show, but spent most of it talking/listening to Dave Tooley.

lf they intend to end the AW line it didn't show to me (not that l'm bovered@the mo'), and if so why were they sporting a new AW in 5.56 with a polymer mag?

Andy.

ln reply to your MSR post.

Having now played with said item, and having been introduced to several opperators of the US Marines a general consensus was draw towards the following.....

"Big Green" seems to think they can produce a rifle and then "Tell" people that...... "This Is What You Need!!! Now Buy It!!!"

We followed a bunch of UAE procurement chaps onto the stand and they were getting the "Hard Sell" from the Remmy team

To be honest, it didn't impress as it's too bloody heavy (17lbs without all the add on's) and there are enough holes and lumps on it to snag a crawler up for days. lt may be ok for some city police deployment (if it jams, you can hide behind it) but after that.... na, they no like!!!

Ratwhiskers capsular assessment.... Range Queen!!

To be honest, it didn't impress as it's too bloody heavy (17lbs without all the add on's) and there are enough holes and lumps on it to snag a crawler up for days. lt may be ok for some city police deployment (if it jams, you can hide behind it) but after that.... na, they no like!!!

Ratwhiskers capsular assessment.... Range Queen!!

Great assessment! (because it matches my intuition :unsure::wacko: )

Hey ho, looks the part, but isn't.

Ratty, maybe a write up on the SHOT show for the "viewers"?

Ive been following regular updates on 6mmBR daily blog, but sure there is more.......

Archived