6mmBr mag fed rifle

provarmint

I'm getting a variation for a 6mmBr but would like it to be magazine fed, which action,mag do you recommend ? I've been in touch with Barnard my original choice, they couldn't tell me if any one had used their SM action, Lawton or Pierce maybe ? Help appreciated. :)

P.S.

Baldie I noticed on a previous post you recommend a 2 lug bolt and central feed, would the Barnard SM with it's three lug not be suitable?

Guest dasherman

Sako 75 series III with ppc mag and Tikka 595/590 with 22/250 mag work well. If your going custom action you'll end up with the hideous AI mag system where a 5 shot mag is as large as a 10 shot should be and rattles and catches on everything, ok for a would be sniper but not so good for a stalking rifle.

I,m inclined to agree with dasherman . If its a sporter/carry gun, then the best route is a sako, or tikka, if only for the flush mag.

I prefer 2 lug actions as they are easy to make feed reliably. I,ve never used a barnyard for one so couldn,t comment. Virtually all the 6mmbr repeaters i build are for range work, and are required to have large, hi capacity mags. I took an order for just such a beast yesterday. A l/h lawton, lilja barrel, a5 stock, our floorplate system, etc.

If you fancy a tikka, we took a stainless 595 in just this morning. A 22-250 that has been used. I bought it purely for its action and mounts.This would convert nicely.

I have a Sako 75 .308 at the moment III action,SS varmint barrel, but I do like the .308 calibre so that will be staying as it is (for now).

Not having a single shot before, if I went Barnard S single action, how would it be in the field if follow up shots are needed, anyone use a single shot for deer/fox ?

I take my Cooper Varminter 6MMBR single shot out for deer or fox without worry. A band on the stock with spare ammunition or as I learnt to do when shooting a Ruger No1 in 25.06 was to keep a cartridge between my teeth to grab for a fast second shot.

After a little while you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and just get on with it.

Pete.

I take my Cooper Varminter 6MMBR single shot out for deer or fox without worry. A band on the stock with spare ammunition or as I learnt to do when shooting a Ruger No1 in 25.06 was to keep a cartridge between my teeth to grab for a fast second shot.

After a little while you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and just get on with it.

Pete.

Sometimes Pete you just have to bite the bullet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JTF

Archived