Popular rifles tested to distruction.

I have picked this up of another site were Norway posted it.(good one mate)

A Swedish consumer organisation decided to test firearms performance - one of them safety under catastrophic failure.

They sealed the barrels (barrel stoppage) and fired a round while filming with a high speed camera. Browning and Remington were concluded to be downright dangerous for the shooter. Suprisingly Howa and Blaser R93 earned top marks all around closely followed by Steyr, Tikka and Sako.

Here are the explosion test films:

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Now you still want a Remm'y 700? :D

B-b

Guest 308Panther

Interesting test....

and very interesting results.

Even more interesting to note that the US made guns blew up where the

Euro and the jap Howa slid threw the vice....

I think the vice operator doesnt know his right from his left...

Righty tighty...Lefty loosey...

308Panther

Looks like the barrel stoppage was half way down the tube, if so it would be a test of the barrels ability to withstand pressure, not the actions.

Would be good to know how far down the tube the plug was. I suspect the results could change depending on steel batch etc (a while back Sako had a batch which was more suseptable to making barrels go pop).

Another way to achieve the same result is to flute a barrel and try the same test - end up with a big egg whisk (as in the case of a 338 lapua AI).

David.

Dont know what to make of that really.The test would have been more scientific, had the butts been up against a positive stop.That would have ensured that there were no differences in the tightness of the vice. One thing i will say, the remmy,s action didn,t go, or show any signs of going, and its reputed to be one of the strongest actions in the world [3 rings of steel].The only gun i,ve ever heard of blowing up , included in that test has been sako,s. The only other american gun i,ve ever seen , blown up, was 2 weeks ago, and that was a marlin 45/70, that had a lead bullet lodged 12" down, after been fired on a primer only, the next one burst the barrel, and the forend, but the chap wasnt injured.

Proof testing ....hmmm. :rolleyes: hardly the last word in scientific practise is it?

Hi 308 P.

I think there was a dud batch of stainless steel used.

Rifles with numbers between 419140 and 461951 were suspect.

Our local rifle was No.4430++, for obvious reasons I have concealed the precise number.

The owner was lucky not to blow his face off or the fingers of his left hand.

There were others in the USA and Sweden.

More info. can be got by dialling `Sako and Tikka exploded rifles ` into Google search.

It is a while since I had it on screen but I suppose it is still there.

HWH.

One way of getting a remmy and a-bolt free floating :rolleyes:

Why didn't the remmy or a-bolt jump back? was it maybe because

the widening barrel got wedged in the vice?

It's a bit like tossing grenades, lastest moment of release is

when it starts getting cracks!

edi

Funny the two that blew up did not recoil as great a distance as the others..I also suspect there were a couple rifles clamped a bit tighter than others, possibly depending on barrel taper. A rail gun type set up like we had at HS Precision would have been a bit more appropriate, as them thin barrels do not take much extra force to smash or compress the bore. Where did they wedge the obstruction?

Bottom line is, don't use a bench vise to clamp your barrel.

JR

Where did they wedge the obstruction?

JR

Obstruction Hammered in 20cm from the end of chamber, all rifles in 30-06 cal'

JR are you saying that if the barrel was tighten up more in the vice this would cause the rifle to fail?

Best rgds

B-b

I think Remy/A-bolt owners should turn this to their advantage. :)

Firstly show the other half the vid’ of the rifle blowing up, then explain that as your life is now at risk you must send your rifle up to Dave at SYSS to get it re-barrel with a Border Barrel supplied by JR. While Dave has the rifle he might as well true the action and drop another trigger in it and may be a new stock. Go to great lengths to explain to the misses that you would not do this if it was not you heath at risk. ;)

Sorted. :):):lol:

B-b

PS any chance of a bit of a kick back from Dave and JR for copying this post on to here. :o;)

Archived