Warmest wellies?

bluebell

My OH has reynards so always cold fingers and toes and whilst he has the hands sussed with his Boston S hand warmers he is suffering badly with cold toes. A friend recomended Muck Boots Tay sports which are supposed to be good down to -40 or so. Are they any good or do you have any other recomendations?

Hi Bluebell,

I am diabetic so i too suffer with cold extremities, i recently bought a pair of Muckboot Spey's which have the same level of insulation as the Tay Sports but are about £15 cheaper.

So far so good but i will not be able to tell how good untill i have a day on the lakeside in similar conditions sat behind my pike rods.

Ian.

I'm loving my new Grubs Stalkers this winter, £69 (if you shop around) well spent in my book. Great grip too. Funnily they needed a little breaking in for just a couple of miles, but they're great so far. Highly recommended.

Hi Pete,

I have a pair of Skeetex field boots and they are indeed excellent, keep my feet toasty warm and are ideal when deadbaiting.

However IMO they are too heavy for anything other then being stationary and are impossible to drive in.

The Mucks are light and flexible easy to drive in and hopefully after a few hours on the bank in this kind of weather will be warm as well.

I am hoping they will bridge the gap between lace up non-insulated boots to the pac-boot style Skeetex.

Ian.

Thank you all so much for your input. Now since I cannot appear to pin down a local supplier (bedfordshire/Buckinghamshire border) some advice on sizing if you would be so kind please Muck boot owners.

Normal shoe size is 81/2 but his leChameau and Hunter wellies are a size 8. So how big or otherwise did you have to buy Muck boots?

I have muckboots (Avons) certainly very warm and comfortable. The grip is not the best in the wet and the sole wears quite quickly. I will try a pair of Grubs Stalkers next, very similar but with a better sole (vibram).

I agree with you there Rooster , where can you get the Grubs boots from ?

cheers ANdy

I agree with you there Rooster , where can you get the Grubs boots from ?

cheers ANdy

They have them all over on the net if you do a search Andy, heres one i found

http://www.aberdeenfieldsports.com/shop/pr...ts.asp?item=528

Supposed to be very good, the sole is the only problem with my muckboots so i will give these a whirl next.

They have them all over on the net if you do a search Andy, heres one i found

http://www.aberdeenfieldsports.com/shop/pr...ts.asp?item=528

Supposed to be very good, the sole is the only problem with my muckboots so i will give these a whirl next.

Think my Stalkers were from here - http://www.fieldandstreamofashbourne.co.uk...?cat=MUCK_BOOTS

Like you say - great vibram sole, very grippy even in this snow & ice!

Not to derail the topic (by much) but are Danner boots still highly sought after in the UK?

I remember working with 4/5 Commando back in the early 90's in the sand box, and they seemed to be willing to give their left nut for a pair (everywhere I went, I was asked what size I wore and if I was willing to trade for them). Northern Iraq was indeed a chilly, wet place in the winter and spring...

Just curious...

I long ago gave up on wellies when boots became properly waterproof and comfortable.

I wear a pair of these 7 days a week, winter and summer. Now on my second pair, I wear a normal thin pair of ankle socks and the last part of me to get cold nowadays are my feet.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/irishsette...own-worn-saddle

The problem with wellies for me is I have size 11 feet but only size five legs and wellies are never a good fit :D

Pete.

Just checked my boots, I lied, mine are 600 gram version. ;)

Not to derail the topic (by much) but are Danner boots still highly sought after in the UK?

I remember working with 4/5 Commando back in the early 90's in the sand box, and they seemed to be willing to give their left nut for a pair (everywhere I went, I was asked what size I wore and if I was willing to trade for them). Northern Iraq was indeed a chilly, wet place in the winter and spring...

Just curious...

Hi PMI,

I have always held danners in high regard and a couple of years ago bought myself a pair of Hood

Winter lites in brown full leather with 600gr insulation, what a fantastic boot but my joy turned to sorrow because no matter how i tried i could not break them in and everytime i went out in them i came limping back in agony.

I sold them on.

Ian.

Archived