Bullet pulling

njc110381

Hey guys. I've got some .17 Ackley Hornet rounds which need to be pulled. I've tried to do it with my kinetic hammer but I've been beating the life out of it for ages and the bullets wont shift. They're not crimped. I'm thinking that the bullets just aren't heavy enough to have the required energy to push themselves out of the cases! Is there anything I can try before I resort to pliers? I've got 70 rounds to do!

Hey guys. I've got some .17 Ackley Hornet rounds which need to be pulled. I've tried to do it with my kinetic hammer but I've been beating the life out of it for ages and the bullets wont shift. They're not crimped. I'm thinking that the bullets just aren't heavy enough to have the required energy to push themselves out of the cases! Is there anything I can try before I resort to pliers? I've got 70 rounds to do!

I'm sure someone posted a while back that they had much better results using the hammer against the end of a heavy length of dense fencepost or similar held in the other hand - same effect to a dead blow hammer rather than bouncing.

Worth a try before the pliers meet the press.

TC

I would like to point out that under the 1997 firearms act ammendment it is now an offence to dismantle loaded ammunition into its constituant parts :huh: work that one out :P

Ian.

Good job I didn't do it then! :D

I'm on to the next problem now, but I'll start a new topic for that. I'm dead confused!

I would like to point out that under the 1997 firearms act ammendment it is now an offence to dismantle loaded ammunition into its constituant parts :D work that one out :P

Ian.

I have not been able to find this in the above act and as I have reworked ammunition on a regular basis for quite a while, can you please point out the relivant section for us.

Many thanks

hi njc,

it was me who posted about using the kinetic hammer any firm piece of wood you can comfortablely hold in your hand will do i use the large end of a pickaxe handle main tip is that it must not be firm against any thing in theory you would think it wont work but i can pull 40 grain 223 heads if needed with two sharp taps you dont need to try and hammer like hell. also push a plug of foam into the catching chamber and it wont damage the bullets niether.

graham.

I resorted to using the trim die on the press. I grabbed the bullets with pliers and then lowered the ram. Surprisingly the bullets came out of it without looking too bad.

I would like to point out that under the 1997 firearms act ammendment it is now an offence to dismantle loaded ammunition into its constituant parts :D work that one out :)

Ian.

I've spent a good while browsing the Firearms Amendment Act at work this week in relation to a case I'm working on and have seen no mention of this offence. Are you sure?

Ian is right, Marv....It is in there somewhere.

Dont think anyone actually enforces, or cares about it however.

Its obviously legal to sell the equipment to pull it, but the act itself is still a breach of the law.

We hand all our unused/screwed up ammo in, with barrels/knackered guns etc.

I used a Forster bullet puller and collet from Tim Hannan for £25 I think.

You can also alter the COL without removing the bullet after you have done load development and realised the best COL for your load by removing the bullet so much but not completely and then reseating to the desired depth.

Much better than a kinetic hammer.

This is a video from ammosmith.com showing how it works.

I would like to point out that under the 1997 firearms act amendment it is now an offence to dismantle loaded ammunition into its constituent parts huh.work that one out.

My understanding that this has been dropped or repealed as per this link.

Part 3, Paragraph 9.2 part B

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051082.htm#9

I would like to point out that under the 1997 firearms act ammendment it is now an offence to dismantle loaded ammunition into its constituant parts ;) work that one out :angry:

Ian.

Ian,

I have studied the Firearms Amendment Act at work again today. I have found NO reference to this matter at all. The senior Crown Prosecutor I have been working with has found no reference to the above.

I remember such a proposal in the draft bill, but I do not think it made it into the Act and therefore is not an offence, unless I've missed it. If you can find any mention in the Act, please let us know.

Ian/Dave

as you'll have gathered, I have had cause to research the issue of whether or not it is legal to disassemble ammunition. It is perfectly legal to do so and is mentioned nowhere in law other than in the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005, which covers the 'making or unmaking of small arms ammunition'- perfectly lawful where the total quantity of primer and propellant used at any one time does not exceed 2 kilograms.

Kinetic hammers back out from under the floorboards, boys!

Archived