250 Ackley

And if the 250-3000 Savage is what you're talking about, just get a 257 Roberts. Brass will be a problem otherwise. If you do get a Roberts, don't bother making an Ackley out of it. If you pick the right powders you can get close enough to the 25-06 so that a deer wouldn't know the difference. I shoot a Roberts; sweet. Shot a 257 IMP as well built on a Small Ring Mauser 98, too. Nice as well.~Andrew

There is no cartridge other than the 250 Savage with '250' in its' title (as far as I know), so yes, unsurprisingly I am asking about a 250 Savage Ackley Improved!

I don't want a 257 Roberts. Which is why I asked about a 250 AI.

Does anyone actually have any experience of the 250 (3000 Savage for clarity) Ackley Improved?

Thanks, Ian.

The Accurate Reloading website (which, incidentally, calls the cartridge 250 Ackley) lists a max load for the cartridge with 75 grain bullet as attaining 3735 f.p.s. with 45 grains of powder.

It also lists a max load of 62 grains of powder in the 25-06 as managing 3799 f.p.s. with a 75 grain bullet. Not much of a velocity gain for an extra 17 grains of powder, is it? Extra case capacity isn't everything, some cases are more efficient than others.

Thanks, Ian.

The Accurate Reloading website (which, incidentally, calls the cartridge 250 Ackley) lists a max load for the cartridge with 75 grain bullet as attaining 3735 f.p.s. with 45 grains of powder.

It also lists a max load of 62 grains of powder in the 25-06 as managing 3799 f.p.s. with a 75 grain bullet. Not much of a velocity gain for an extra 17 grains of powder, is it? Extra case capacity isn't everything, some cases are more efficient than others.

Looks like improving this cartridge really brings it to life, those figures are very impressive.

My .257 Roberts Improved shoots 75grn V-max's very accurately @ 3580fps with 51grns of Vit 550,

I could cram in another 5 grains of powder but dont think its necessary.

Ian.

I think that this very interesting thread, proves one very important point. If you want a hot cartridge, there is a 100% chance its been done already, and that a trawl through the reamer book, and an hour on the web, will produce some very exciting information. This cartridge looks very interesting indeed. Keep us informed marv.

Thanks, Ian.

rem,

With the lighter bullets you can get away with less capacity for the same velocity. You can see that in a 308 vs 30-06, 22-250 vs 220 swift, 250 savage vs 25-06, etc. If you wanted to shoot bigger bullets you'll start seeing more difference.

You could also consider a 25 Souper (308 necked to 25). Not sure what dies would be for an improved 250 savage vs a souper though. If you don't already have a reamer picked out, you could try to get one that used a 260 rem case and necked it down in bushing dies.

Thanks,

Rick

Looks like improving this cartridge really brings it to life, those figures are very impressive.

My .257 Roberts Improved shoots 75grn V-max's very accurately @ 3580fps with 51grns of Vit 550,

I could cram in another 5 grains of powder but dont think its necessary.

Ian.

My .243AI shoots 75gr V-max's very accurately @ 3600fps with 44gr of Viht 140 :rolleyes:

I could cram in another 7 grains of powder but think I might blow my hand off :D

Pete.

You could also go for 25-284.

Would be a good performer, downside of .257" bore is limited choice of bullets....

Great calibre, like the 270, just lacking in choice.

Thanks for the advice so far.

The 284 case just doesn't interest me. I have no real desire to burn 50 or 60 grains of powder. It's not that I'm tight or even particularly recoil-shy- I just don't see the point when gentler cartridges will do anything I want them to.

25 Souper is interesting, though.

Menial 1, thanks for making me laugh- please don't blow your hand off!

Ratwhiskers,

any idea what he's loading in it and whether the claimed velocities are really attainable?

Will try to get in touch with the fella and get back to you, need to speak to him anyway 'bout some bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived