Barrel Cleaner !! The Best ?

iv been using sweets 7.62 and found it spot on but i did read that KG12 was also good so i got some ..what i will say is sweets is better to use, goes on your brush better gets the copper out like nothing else ..i dont rate KG12 as good ..i use kroil for the carbon and sweets for the copper removal . i only started to use it because baldie did :rolleyes:

Guest varmartin

Buches Bore Shine/ Kroil mix... has done the job for me , ...but i do use others as a life long evaluation of things ...

Shooters choice .. (extra strength) , Hoppies Elite ...

Some guy from the US did a test on all the known brands of bore cleaners (copper) KG12 was a clear winner by a country mile. The test was conducted by weighing a bullet and then leaving it to soak in each product and then weighing it again at several different time intervals and measuring how much copper had been stripped off the bullet ( I will see if I can find the link)

Personally I don't use KG12 as it doesn't show up if you're moving copper or not. I'm using Butches Bore shine and Kroil mix as well as Shooters choice extra strength when things get really bad, which hopefully isn't on any of my rifles!

Hi guys

Here is the link to the tests on bore cleaners (assuming I have inserted it correctly!)

www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

I have never tried Sweets but if you put the KG12 on bullet or copper coin it really eats into the copper.

However it doesn't go blue so I use bore foam afterwards as a check.

Having said that I mostly just use the bore foam and leave it for a couple of hours and that shifts the copper out of the 17 but I do clean it regularly.

If you want some fun try your bore cleaners on some copper coins you will soon see which ones work.

Mike

M Pro 7 bore gel - for carbon

Shooters choice (regular and high strength) for copper.

VERY, VERY occasionaly, JB Bore paste.......

Not sure if it's the best, but for me it's Shooters Choice with Kroil mix (75/25%) with neat Kroil for the carbon, used it for years. Have heard great things and tried several of the KG range, but for some reason never really took to it, but do like the fact that it doesn't eat brushes. :lol:

Have used JB paste sparingly in the past, but the jury is still out on it at present :D Only use it now a days as a last resort.

Steve

The best is Wipeout, no doubt, but hard to get hold of over here and messy to use but it works very well.

http://www.oksmoke.co.uk/wipeout.html

Second best and my normal bore cleaner is a product called TM Solution, from Sinclair last time I bought it. Go no more than 20 rounds between cleaning and Wipeout is never needed.

A

Shooters choice extra strength when running a barrel in is my favourite as it quickly shows up when a barrel is broken in ie.no copper showing and no waiting.With quality barrels a few patches of kroil with copper remover mix{75/25] after 50 rounds or so should keep things in check. JB after 200/300 rounds may be a good idea and brings a nice slip feel back into a barrel.

I have recently realised that a barrel is best left with minimal cleaning for a more consistent repeatable zero performance and apart from carbon removal I leave well alone until necessary.

However when deemed necessary and a barrel is at its suspected end of life then the extra stength stuff will confirm bad news even after just a dozen rounds or so and exhibit the dreaded dark blue stains that just don,t go away!!!!Onehole.

first off can I say that I am a kg12 fan and use it....................

I also use tetra which I love................

one big problem I have with the KG test is that it is an unfair test..........

it shows tetra as zero removal of copper which is crap, I don't mean their test was faked or anything I just know that tetra copper solvent does a bloody good job at copper and powder removal.

not being a person to blindly follow and not even try to figure out what the hell is going on with their test, I sat for a while to figure out what their scientist????? couldn't figure OR what they may be misleading us with

let my say again...... I use both tetra and KG12 and love both

right, their test was carried out by pouring solution into containers in which a bullet was placed over a set time to see how much copper was removed by various cleaners by weighing them before and after

a good method it might seem until you look at the fact that some cleaners are gel and not liquid.......

whats the difference I here you say??????????????? well its like this,,,,,,,put a rusty copper coin (for example) into some vinegar and take a close look at what is actually happening

when the acid starts to eat the surface, just like copper solution will do to copper, you can see what appears to be a faint vapor trail dissipating

this is because the solution is thin enough that when the chemical reaction takes place the effected solution is displaced and replaced by new so there is an ongoing renewal of solution taking affect on the copper

now it doesn't take a scientist to understand that the same process but in a gel has a big problem..........the effected solution surrounding the bullet, which is barely measurable, cannot dissipate and so is stuck in suspension without access to renewable liquid

agitate the gel by means of movement and the story is totally different

another factor to remember is that kg12 copper solvent is just that, it will only remove copper and will leave powder residue where as tetra will remove both

kg 12 removes copper REALLY quick so if you have some stubborn copper stains then thats the stuff to use, people have found that kg 12 does not sit/mix very well with cleaning patches but if you use a wool mop thats a good tight fit then this will absorb the kg and it will only take a couple of stroke down the tube to get ANY copper out

tetra on the other hand will like the exact same process of agitation but a fair few more stroke are need (on stubborn copper I like to use a bronze brush and tetra for a few strokes) but it will remove all fouling and not just the copper

simple fact is that if I use kg 12 I need to then use say tetra or others for removing carbon etc

overall on a not so copper fouling bbl I can clean the tube in less time using just tetra

in a stubborn over over shot bbl I use kg12 to eat through the copper barrier quickly so a stubborn bbl only takes a wee while longer than a good bbl

at the end of the day whats strange is that my preferd two copper solvents are at the extreme ends of kg's copper test

I need both but if I had to choose only one combined copper and carbon solvent I could use it would be tetra

Use forest bore foam every now and then. I place barrel down in a plastic cup and

next day a nice blue soup comes out of the barrel. Although it does remove copper

I don't think it is 100%. When my barrel was quite new it started grouping bad after

maybe 80 rounds, bore foam didn't get rid of all the fouling but an abrasive barrel

cleaner did and she shot well again.

edi

Sweets is bad that which promotes growth and vigour. Its so aggressive, it will start to erode a barrel after 20 minutes, thats why they dont recommend it being left in there any longer. I,ve never had a problem with any stainless barrel with it. I,ve also got a borescope to actually check whats happening to my barrels too.

Sweets is bad that which promotes growth and vigour. Its so aggressive, it will start to erode a barrel after 20 minutes, thats why they dont recommend it being left in there any longer. I,ve never had a problem with any stainless barrel with it. I,ve also got a borescope to actually check whats happening to my barrels too.

On a stainless barrel, take me through the steps you take using Sweets, how long, and what you use to clear it from the barrel ?

Thanks again,

PV.

Right.

Bore guide in first.

Then phosphor bronze brush, soaked in 009 and a good scrubbing out to remove the carbon. Followed by a couple of patches soaked in 009. Leave half an hour and patch out.

Then i put a nylon brush on the rod, soak in sweets, and give it a good scrub. Follow that with 2 soaked patches of sweets, and leave 15 minutes. patch out with dry patches until clean. Then blast the bore out with birchwood casey gun scrubber, which is just a spirit degreaser under aerosol high pressure. let dry, and put gun away . I never oil my bores....my cabinets are bone dry.

Archived