Revamped Rifle

Thanks to Ronin ,Kal & Col48 are due for a great job. Mainly cosmetics, but it will be a handier stalking rifle for me now.

The 'old' Tikka has been reworked by taking 4" off the barrel , now 22" , its a Shilen match Grade , and it has stayed as a .260, so no need to change that , threaded for a moderator, checked the chambering for 120 Gn NBTs or similar, added a NEAR rail and mounts, and pillar bedded it into a McSwirly Sako Varmint pattern stock. The colours are 50/25/25 Dark Grey/Light Tan/Black , known as "Coyote Bomber" pattern over the Pond.

Scope is a Swarovski 4-16x50.

Col48 did the bolt fluting and bolt knob job earlier on in the game.

Kal has duracoated the barrel and action in Parker Grey.

I shall report back in due course on the range results, but there is no reason to think that it isnt going to be a shooter.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

ATB

T260

Nice angles Pete, Roger and Dave from SYSS take note :(

Seriously though that does look the part Pete stylish, elegant and classy, and with those component parts it's bound to be a tack driver.

When you find the time (myself as well) we will put it through its paces at 500 yards

what a cracking garden :)............................... but not as nice as the rifle :lol:

Looks even better now the B/A has been coated, have to say I do like the Parkerised Grey Duracoat that Kal does :lol:

Mcmillan have finally sorted the issue with Tikka 595's and the rear tang overlap, that was a problem previously, this one went in with only relatively minor milling and is a pretty good fit although on request I made a custom recoil lug thats bedded into the stock for easy, precise re-fitting after stripping.

How is it shooting?

Looks even better now the B/A has been coated, have to say I do like the Parkerised Grey Duracoat that Kal does :lol:

Mcmillan have finally sorted the issue with Tikka 595's and the rear tang overlap, that was a problem previously, this one went in with only relatively minor milling and is a pretty good fit although on request I made a custom recoil lug thats bedded into the stock for easy, precise re-fitting after stripping.

How is it shooting?

Hi Andy,

As you can guess I am V pleased with the way it has turned out, and Thanks to you for that.

Unfortunately I am suffering from the curse of the Hunting Classes, the ...... "work" .....word; so I haven't had the opportunity to get it to the range. I have loaded some 120 BT for it with RL15, as Mr Nosler seems to think thats a good idea, and I shall test them when I get back from here (Georgia) in 3 - 4 weeks.

See Ian's note above, we will let you know what happens when we stretch its legs a bit.

BTW, I torqued the rail screws up to 20 "/lbs, using all 4 of the ones supplied. Any thoughts?

ATB

P

Great looking rifle.

Outside my knowledge envelope; was that a problem across all Mcmillan stocks that's now rectified? (ie A5s too?)

& is the rail a bespoke slip-on job for Tikka dovetails?

BTW, I torqued the rail screws up to 20 "/lbs, using all 4 of the ones supplied. Any thoughts?

ATB

P

That should do nicely, if they do work loose (which I doubt, loctite is the answer but only a teeny bit)

Brown Dog

The early Mcmillan inlets for Tikkas were a poor fit, they are now sorted and fit weel, the main issue was the tang area and rise of the rear of the stock above the pistl grip - the two sides were out of alignment on a few stocks, this is not the case now.

The Near rail fits ON TOP of the dove tail, secured with 4 small M4 cap head screws, why they didnt machine it to fit the dovetail is a mysetery it would be A1+ if it was.

At the moment it is A1-

Archived