RAF SAS

brown dog

I think you might be laughing on your own Matt, if the others are anything like me its gone straight over my head.

Ian.

:) Yup, just showed the pic to my wife; got a blank stare. At work we were all chortling. It's an Army/RM joke about the RAF Regiments rather over-developed ego. They do little more than guard camps and airfields but their self image would have you believe that they're spetsnaz. This is pointing out that for all their wimiks etc all they actually do is guard the naafi. Oh well, I'll leave it up for posterity ;)

I have always fancied a go with a machine gun, looks like a .50 Browning on the back so that should be enough lead for most things we come accross in a lamp beam :D

You can see why those Landrovers get blown to hell by IEDs cant you.

A

Being ex Regiment myself I know first hand that guarding the N.A.A.F.I. and patrolling perimeter fences isn't all that's involved with the job, as in ALL of the forces there are 'Walter Mitty' :) types that parade up and down displaying all the the latest Gucci kit with f**k all idea when it comes to using it, the majority of blokes I served with were switched on professional people who could get the job done.

Par for the course and bog standard military banter passing comments about other regiments being 'hats' or 'gash', 'remf' this and that, ain't so easy passing the course and earning your mudguards though, 80% failure rate when I went through in the early 80's, also had a consistent number of re mustered passed out infantry guys (not failed recruits) on the courses who had transfered across to 'give it a try' and failed, doesn't say much for basic infantry fitness/field craft levels :D , I've seen more 'waste of rations', fat bar-stewards in the pongo's than I've ever seen in the Regiment, the rest of the R.A.F, well that's another matter. :lol:

Horses for courses, you pick yer branch/trade and go with it, some blokes like jumping out of perfectly good planes other like mucking about in boats on the water, I fancied being close to the N.A.A.F.I where the beer and the 'burds' live. PER ARDUA. :D

Aye and in 1951 when I was in the RAF working as an Air Wireless Mechanic servicing Dambuster radio equipment you could get beans on toast at the NAAFI for one shilling and three old pence !

HWH.

And still have change for a bunk up with Mrs Miggins behind her Pie shop.

And still have change for a bunk up with Mrs Miggins behind her Pie shop.

Hi Spud.

For two and a half years I was stationed at RAF Watton, [Central Signals Establishment.] , not far from Norwich.

Through that posting I had the honour to meet the late Paddy Woods, master gunsmith of Ovington. [a nearby village.]

He was a master with wood also and was an outworker for some famous Gunmakers.

It was a lifelong friendship and I went down to his funeral when he passed away some years ago.

HWH.

Archived