243 Ackley info

sir-slots-alot

Gents

I know there are a few of you with this calibre on here , so just a couple of basic questions.

Does a 243 Ackley reduce barrel life much , compared to the standard 243 Win.

Whilst fire forming standard 243 brass into the Ackley jobbies - is accuracy comprimised .

I know the Ackley uses a few grains more - but can the same powders be used.

Are there any pit falls - or " Beware of 's " for me to ponder

Thanks in advance - ( P.S I know it says 234 - think I be might - Lis-dexic :( )

Alan

Gents

I know there are a few of you with this calibre on here , so just a couple of basic questions.

Whilst fire forming standard 243 brass into the Ackley jobbies - is accuracy comprimised .

Thanks in advance - ( P.S I know it says 234 - think I be might - Lis-dexic :( )

Alan

errm here goes yes,no,yes and none that i know off apart from barrel wear and a nusing a semi when shooting it

Gents

No barrel life is actually longer as the shoulder angle is different and this gives you better brass and barrel life.

don't worry about this as your rifle should be accurate enough to go out and shoot game / varmints wile fire forming. i have seen excellent results wile fire forming.

yes

All you need to know is here http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Alan

Colin

Just get it done Alan, it turns a great calibre into an even better one. I pondered on this for a couple of years and eventually gave in, and now I can't leave the damn thing in the cabinet.

Pete.

Yep i really enjoyed my 243 ackley!!!! :D

She done 1900 rounds before i sold her and was still going pretty sweet ( i felt the need for a 6.5-284 ) .

Driving the 105 A-max at 3150fps was very accurate and a cracking long range pest shooter!!! :D

Here she is........................

500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

A cracking round on deer too!!!!!!

stalking2005008.jpg

Shall look forward to hearing how you get on if you decide to get one , i know i am very tempted to it it chambered up for one of my rifles again!! :D

All the best............

RAY..................................

Shoulder angle gives better barrel life?? Surely you jest?~Andrew

Andrew don't be idle and read the article i have taken the trouble to put up a link to. It will back up what i have said.

ATB

Colin :D

Here i will take all the work out for you.

.243 Ackley Improved--More Velocity, Less Case Stretch

by Bob Blaine, Sinclair International

243aix360.jpgParker Ackley reluctantly developed the .243 Ackley Improved ("AI"). Ackley finally gave in to his customers' requests to develop the .243 AI. He had always felt that the .243 Winchester was already an improved configuration, but he did say that the best thing to be gained by improving the .243 Winchester was to substantially reduce the case-stretching problems. The .243 Winchester parent case has always stretched brass, almost as bad as the Swift. Even though you get more velocity with the improved .243, I've also found that the improved version gives a bit more throat life than the parent case does.

The .243 AI delivers more velocity by virtue of enhanced case capacity--roughly five grains more H20 capacity than a standard .243 Winchester. The .243 AI has a water capacity of approximately 57 to 58 grains, compared to 52-53 grains for the standard .243 Winchester.

Fire-Forming

As always, fire-forming is done by one of two methods. Most of you will fire form the brass with loaded .243 Winchester. Ackley always said to use factory loads, or reload equivalent ammo to have a "snappy" load to form the case out properly. You never want to use a reduced load to form with, since you need the pressure to form properly. If your rifle is chambered properly, you should feel a slight amount of resistance as you close the bolt on a new piece of brass. If you do not get this "feel", you may need to seat the bullets out to .010" to .015" into the lands to make sure that the base of the case stays in solid contact with the bolt face. The fire-forming method I have been using more lately employs medium burn-rate pistol powders and Cream of Wheat. I will start by loading about 10 grains of SR4756 or Unique into the case, and then I fill the case up to the body shoulder junction with Cream of Wheat. I will then take a large pinch of polyester filler, which can be found at any fabric supply store, or sewing department, such as at Wal-Mart. I will then take the pinch of polyester and load it into the case so that it fills up the shoulder area of the case effectively making sure that the filler is held securely over the powder for fire-forming. During the fire-forming, I like to dry brush with a nylon bore brush every 10 to 15 rounds. This removes any loose debris from filler that has accumulated. [Editors Note: Do NOT seat a bullet using this "Cream of Wheat" method. You can cap the case with a bit of wax to keep everything in place. However, Bob finds the wax is not necessary if the polyester filler is placed securely.]

243ibsx318.jpgRecommended Loads

I'm often asked, "what gunpowder do you recommend"? I generally recommend medium-slow or slow burn-rate powders for the .243 Ackley. I have found, with my rifle, that H414 is pretty much my first choice for use in the .243 AI. H414 tends to give me great accuracy, with good velocity. Saying this, I have tried many other propellants and have found the following powders to be worth looking at for your needs: AA-2700, H414, H4350, VV N150, VV N550, VV N160, VV N560, RL19, H4831sc, and VV N165, to name a few of the powders that I have tested over the years.

Different Reamers, Different "Improveds"

One thing that you need to watch for is what version of the .243 Improved that you have. This depends, for the most part, on whose reamer you will be using for the chambering of your barrel. It is easy to determine if your .243 Improved is the .243 Ackley Improved, or the .243 Winchester Improved. If you have the .243 Ackley Improved, the shoulder-body section will measure .460" dia. at this point. If you have the .243 Winchester Improved, the shoulder-body section will measure .455" diameter at this point. Both cartridges have the 40-degree shoulder. I have used both versions and found that you can use any data developed for either version interchangeably.

The .243 Ackley Improved is one of the best long range varmint rounds going, and can add some extra punch for your light big game rifle as well. One would be hard pressed to ignore a cartridge as versatile as the .243 Ackley Improved.

Sorry Colin. I don't believe it.

Nor do I believe that you can substantially increase the velocity without increasing pressure or barrel length. Pressure eats barrels. Load a standard 243 at 60K or the AI at 60K and the barrels will get eroded at the same rate; given all other things being equal, of course. JMHO but I truly believe that with few exceptions, "Improving" a case has little to no ballistic benefit. ~Andrew

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/7mm-fatso-1.php

Check out Greg's comments on bottom of first "page".

He's burned out more barrels that we've probably had hot breakfasts.

It seems that sharper shoulders &/or long necks help spare the throat some of the wash from burning powder. Nothing to do with the peak pressure

Chris-NZ

Sorry Colin. I don't believe it.

Nor do I believe that you can substantially increase the velocity without increasing pressure or barrel length. Pressure eats barrels. Load a standard 243 at 60K or the AI at 60K and the barrels will get eroded at the same rate; given all other things being equal, of course. JMHO but I truly believe that with few exceptions, "Improving" a case has little to no ballistic benefit. ~Andrew

Hi

As i said in my first post the angle of the shoulder directs the "blast" down by the throat differently. so the throat wares less.

take a jet of high pressure water and aim the jet on to the side of a pipe. and see how long it takes to eat away at the pipe. then tweak the jet till the jet goes straight down the pipe and see how much longer the pipe lasts.

i know which my money will on.

I'm not saying that an akley shoulder is the optimum shoulder angle but it is definitely better.

ATB

Colin

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/7mm-fatso-1.php

Check out Greg's comments on bottom of first "page".

He's burned out more barrels that we've probably had hot breakfasts.

It seems that sharper shoulders &/or long necks help spare the throat some of the wash from burning powder. Nothing to do with the peak pressure

Chris-NZ

I have not read that article i will have a look in a bit.

ATB

Colin ;)

Hi

As i said in my first post the angle of the shoulder directs the "blast" down by the throat differently. so the throat wares less.

take a jet of high pressure water and aim the jet on to the side of a pipe. and see how long it takes to eat away at the pipe. then tweak the jet till the jet goes straight down the pipe and see how much longer the pipe lasts.

i know which my money will on.

I'm not saying that an akley shoulder is the optimum shoulder angle but it is definitely better.

ATB

Colin

Ok. Seems that this theory violates the laws governing gasses under pressure but I won't argue with you. You guys seem sold on Ackley IMP guns and I won't attempt to dissuade you. ~Andrew

Aside from all the benefits of going AI, we like it in the UK because it's one of the few things you can do legally without having to inform the FLO and have to go through the usual rigmarole of a variation to your ticket. :rolleyes:

Pete.

Ok. Seems that this theory violates the laws governing gasses under pressure but I won't argue with you. You guys seem sold on Ackley IMP guns and I won't attempt to dissuade you. ~Andrew

Hi

I'm not sold on anything. i have had one 243 AI but would not go to the trouble again. just not enough gain for all the work.

but thats just me. I much prefer the new cartridges. like the 6 x 47 you get the same results as a 243 but less powder. and better brass life.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Aside from all the benefits of going AI, we like it in the UK because it's one of the few things you can do legally without having to inform the FLO and have to go through the usual rigmarole of a variation to your ticket. :rolleyes:

Pete.

damn right there pete

Every once in awhile I come across some magazine thumpin the drum

for Ackley.

If a person where to pay attention to bullet and powder selection

one can get almost as good results.

Too each their own I guess.

308Panther

All i can say is im lookin forward to shooting my ackley with whatever i can find powder and bullet wise!

At £74 a tub of N140, which i feed my 6BR, both 308's and my 223, im not planning on changing for the ackley, to expensive to go switching powders and trying different types, if manufactures would supply say 500gram tubs at "reasonable" prices (like trial tubs) then it would be worth it, but im dont want to spend hard earnt money on somthing which my not work, just to have it sitting on the bench forevermore!

But thats just me,

As you say 308Panther

"Each to their own"

I was advised to go .243AI as opposed to 6x47 as I could expect a better length of time with my barrel, is 6x47 not also known as 6mmHOT for obvious reasons or have I been misled. I wouldn't mind trying 6x47 on next barrel which I don't think will be long coming.

Any ideas on round count on 6x47 before the barrel expires.

I had a Pacnor 1in9 fitted for the AI and to me it has been worth the effort and expense.

Pete.

Hi

I'm not sold on anything. i have had one 243 AI but would not go to the trouble again. just not enough gain for all the work.

but thats just me. I much prefer the new cartridges. like the 6 x 47 you get the same results as a 243 but less powder. and better brass life.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

No one has to explain to me (least of all!!) the desire to shoot something hot and different but in your neck of the woods the cost is unbelievable. And I agree, the added umph isn't generally worth the effort and, dare I say, the cost? I have been down the Ackley road.(I still have one) I found no benefits except in a couple special cases: 220 AI and 25 Krag AI.

One of our local shooters just ordered a gun with a 243 AI chambering. The gunsmith talked him into a 30" tube! That insures the extra speed the gunsmith promised. If it makes him happy? Who am I to talk him out of it?~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with a Blaser LRS2 in 6mmbr, and while I found it extremely accruate with 107g Bergers, I wanted a bit more speed.

I managed to pick up a Nesika built 243AI and have never turned back. It shoots 68g Bergers at over 4000fps into one hole groups at 100 yards, when I do my bit. And as previously mentioned it does feel good.

ATB

Simon

Archived