Powder Cost

Scotch_egg

I have only just managed to finish my first tub of varget and need to replace it. I cannot for the life of me remember what I paid for it.

Whats the going rate I should expect to shell out. I know prices have gone up in the last 12 months but by all accounts I should purchase a couple of tubs from the same batch.

Also I am interested to know if prices vary around the country.

regards

Scotch

Varmantin that is a very interesting point you make. I would never of thought about mixing two tubs even from the same batch but it does make sense.

I'll be getting my order in after the first trip out after the fallow bucks.

cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Hi Dave ....some may suck in air when they read my last post.....

But it has been going on for as long as people have been reloading ..

the last 3 tubs of Varget i bought are one big lot and the last 3 tubs of Reloader 15 are also mixed to make one large lot.

I don't shoot as much as some guys on here ( maybe 2000 rounds a year /3 rifles ) But i mix my powder as stated so `my lot` is consistent as can be ...

I have been this FRIDAY to york guns vv n160 1kg was £77.86. I went to livens at burton this saturday i got 2 tubes of varget £36.00 a tube there vv was £72.00 :blush:

Varget is the most inconsistent powder I have ever used yet one of the finest when you get it sorted out.

I had a one hole group for my .308 Sako which became a scabby 3 incher with a new tub.

As said previously get more and mix it, dear though it is I do not see any chance of prices falling.

HWH.

Powder prices in this country are a pi$$ take

Hodgdon rifle powders sell for average $21 or £12.75 a pound in the states and Vit rifle powders, $58 or £35 a Kilo.

The most annoying thing is that well over half of US branded powders are actully imported into the states from Europe, South Africa and Australia!!

I dont buy all this Haz-mat shipment crap either, yes there is a charge but that does not warrent a two fold or even three fold price hike over here, especially when suppliers buy it bulk trade prices as well :blush:

Rant over

Ian.

Agreed Ian, I go through alot of powder, its not funny spending the readies I do on it - however its more satisfying than smoking :blush:

A bit like petrol and diesel prices - they wont and are not likely to go down in my lifetime....

The haz-mat i am referring to is what the retailers tell us is the reason why the powder is so expensive, i am not convinced, i think we are just being ripped off.

Ian.

It's a worldwide disease Ian.

It's made delivery costs much higher here.

If you're an NRA member, a kilo of Varget (ADI-2208) costs 51.9 Euros

Chris-NZ

• 3 weeks later...

Archived