getting annoyed with V-max!

shrek

Iv mentioned this before and im goin to mention it agian, chrisend the new AR-15 on 2 foxes tonite, and just got in the door!

However, both foxs one at 100ish yards and one at 70 yard max were alive after the bullet strike, both well placed shots, and as they were cubs, didnt have the adrenalin pumping, so thats now 3 different types of v-max that iv had bother with,

87gr in the 6BR, (which i usually love to shoot, and shoot very accurate in the BR)

55grs in the 223, example which i just gave

40gr in my best mates 222, also didnt expand on a big dog fox last year.

I dont like to be a moan, but i try my upmost to put the bullet in the right place on any target, nothing worse than watching somthing you've intentionally aimed to kill going down and getting back up and dissapearing agian vermin or not i hate to have it on my mind, if this happens again i may be forced to change my bullet manufacturer!!

I shot plenty foxes with 52gr Nosler BTHP custom match last year.

Much more consistent than a-max or Nosler BT. Had a few runners with 55BT.

Very accurate and cheap. 35 Euro/250

Use 80gr sierra spbt varminter in the 243 now. Not as explosive

as the name might suggest, but accurate and reliable.

Had a 375yd, 365yd and 200yd fox yesterday, love the bullet.

edi

Changed to Blitzkings a few years ago for the .223 and .243 because they were more consistent in weight and length and won't be changing back any time soon. I keep being advised to try 87gr V-max in the 6mm's but after seeing the new prices I think I'll carry on with what I'm using.

Just dropped a dog about an hour ago with 70gr Blitzking in .243AI and it definitely didn't get up again.

Pete.

Been there seen that mate.....

Passed right through on a noggin shot, could have tracked the path with a pencil!!

But in three dif' calibre rounds, now that's going to put the fix on things ain't it. Don't trouble too much mate, you place them well enough they'll die no worries.

Hope to see you on the 14th, we'll check your placement then :(

Regards.

Ratty.

I use the 65gr Vmax in 6mm at about 3250fps and find that normally it expands fine. Occasionally I find one that looks like I have electrocuted it, one last week was like that but by and large they work well. I pretty well always go for the chest shot, I cant understand a non expanding head shot though.

Even the match bullets I use in rape stubbles expand pretty reliably.

Several people have recommended Sierra to me, both BKs and soft points, not tried them yet as I buy VMax in 500s and batch for weight.

A

I was going to change from Ballistic Tips to V-max because of the very same thing, maybe not

I have had unreliable performance form 85grn BT's fired from my 257

The bullets expanded and caused a right mess on two pigeons with one shot, a fox cub and a rabbit yet on two crows and my longest rabbit shot they passed straight through, one of the crows up a tree at 130yds (yes it was a safe shot) had such a delayed action to the hit i thought i had missed then it just toppled of the branch.

I dont have a lot of choice in 25 cal but in other calibres i have killed everthing i shot at with Berger match bullets.

Ian.

On charlies I use 68gr Berger match grade in my .243. It sure hits home hard and they tend to drop on the spot.

Now i had the oppisite with bergers. I had a load with the PPC 68 berger doing 3100fps. Shot 7 foxs with them all heart shots and they all ran before dying. That was it for me, i still have 100 or so sitting here. I dont trust them any more :rolleyes: . 75 v max on the other hand are explosive in the PPC. Nout is getting up after they connect.

Ads

Picked up both fox's thismornin, close enough to where they were shot, but not on the spot the way i like it!

The small vixen cub had its whole left shoulder blown out, so bullet expanded but didnt kill straight off for some reason

the large dog (which last nite in the lamp looked like a cub, certainly squeeked in like a cub!) was shot straight on through the chest, with no apparent exit wound, yet he still ran,

maybe i was over reacting, both bullets expanded (they're doing 2840 fps so the energys certainly there!), maybe the fox's up here are just hard! haha

PIC00917.jpg

Anf for those who like their scenerey!

PIC00918.jpg

Nothing more annoying than knowing you have a hit but no body!!

Interested to hear about the Berger 68gr Match bullets. At one time that all I used for park deer and vermin. Then they "made" them harder (well the hollowpoint got smaller) and stuff just started to run - except head shot deer! These were the match bullets not the MEF - not experienced any runners last year or this after changing to 87 vmax and now the 105 amax - don't want to tempt fate though!

Now i had the oppisite with bergers. I had a load with the PPC 68 berger doing 3100fps. Shot 7 foxs with them all heart shots and they all ran before dying. That was it for me, i still have 100 or so sitting here. I dont trust them any more :rolleyes: . 75 v max on the other hand are explosive in the PPC. Nout is getting up after they connect.

Ads

68s I use are Barts and JLK, never had a failure to expand yet. Not quite the expansion of vmax agreed but better than NBTs for example.

Only shot 4 or 5 foxs so far with Bergers and they are all 20 cal 50 grain, all dropped on the spot with chest shots.

A

68s I use are Barts and JLK, never had a failure to expand yet. Not quite the expansion of vmax agreed but better than NBTs for example.

A

Use both 68g & 52g Barts, both at over 4000fps and I've had exactly the same experiences as Alycidon, but Callum cant get anymore :(:(

If anyone has any they would like to sell :rolleyes::wub:

Many years ago I used to load 55g moly Vmax's in a 22-250, and always had good results with them.

Nice to see the crook again, not been down there for a few years.

Is that to the right of the road that takes you down to the harbour ??

john

Yes john, my farm is the one next to the harbour and actually incorparates the harbour in the deeds, wigtown bay wildfowlers now own the gound to the left of the hardour and has since been flooded to provide a safe habitat for waterfowl, may i add that this wetland is not shot.

There is over 70 acres of wetland area around the harbour now including the 50 acre patch me and my father flooded 13 years ago

Has anyone tried the 62Gr Barnes Grenade head in 243? I bought some last year in a gamefair, and have only shot them at melons to try them out. The advert that they have put out shows items exploding dramatically. Well this did not happen with the melons. They 'blew up' yes, but exactly the same force as my 70Gr heads.

They are supposed to cause devastating damage to the inside of quarry but not to the pelt.

Has anyone tried the 62Gr Barnes Grenade head in 243? I bought some last year in a gamefair, and have only shot them at melons to try them out. The advert that they have put out shows items exploding dramatically. Well this did not happen with the melons. They 'blew up' yes, but exactly the same force as my 70Gr heads.

They are supposed to cause devastating damage to the inside of quarry but not to the pelt.

I tried them in the 6BR, didnt really do much with them as there aren't the best longrange bullet available, got them shooting quite accuratly, but never felt they had any superiour qualities over a v-max. got a couple left, mite have to give em another try

The strange thing is that the most explosive bullet on rabbits and crows that I've used in the 6BR is 105gr A-max with 30.2gr of Viht 140, they're barely trundling along yet when they hit the targets are just flying apart, not the result you'd expect but very pleasing all the same.

Nosler BT's in 50gr .223 or 70gr.243 seem to need to be be doing warp factor 10 to expand to any degree.

40gr Bitzkings driven hard in .223 are brilliant out to about 350yds and mullah small targets in my 1in8 twist AR.

70gr Blitzkings in .243AI are just phenomenally explosive on smaller targets yet are rarely creating an exit wound on fox, just a small entry wound and a dead fox.

70gr V-max in the same rifle make quite a mess on entry.

69gr Berger Match are devastatingly accurate but just piss through just about everything and God only knows where the bullets end up.

74gr hollowpoints from Precision Rifle Ballistics leave you in no doubt you've connected and make the loudest pop I've ever heard and turn everything inside out.

I suppose it's the differences in performance downrange that keeps loading interesting for us all that load for field work.

Pete.

Use both 68g & 52g Barts, both at over 4000fps and I've had exactly the same experiences as Alycidon, but Callum cant get anymore :(:(

If anyone has any they would like to sell :rolleyes::wub:

Mine also came from Callum but if thats the case they are classified as non expanding so no need for face to face. Sinclair do them, so do Keleby (as in actions), might be worth a call to Norman Clarke, cant remember who is handling Keleby now I have got a feeling its Brian Fox though.

Who are these Precision Rifle Ballistics boys ?

A

http://precisionballisticsllc.com/default.aspx

Try there Jeff. Chris imports them, so fairly handy if they float your boat.

Pete.

There is no doubt in my mind these bullets can shoot. I have tested the 67grainers in both my PPC and 243 ack and both rifles put five rounds into the same hole. :wub: to be honest they shot better than bergers. They drop things quicker as well :rolleyes:

Ads

Puzzled by suggestions of V-Max not expanding (BTW they explode rather than "expand") since not once have I had cause to question their performance in the 15-20 years since I swapped from Nosler BTs. Using three different 22-cf cals and bullet weights of 40, 50 and 55, my experience is that they blow pigeons & crows to smithereens, blow smallish rabbits open, and with large rabbits, groundhogs and foxes they explode internally and drop them as if hit with a sledgehammer. This is at ranges between 75 - 350 yards. I can only guess that maybe dodgy QC let through a few duff bullets occasionally, but I've never experienced this. For me, V-Max have been so consistently good that I see no point in experimenting with other bullets such as conventional HPs.

Re price, I just got boxes of 250 40gr at Cabelas for $40...

Regards, TonyH

looks as though the lesser quality stuff is gettin shipped over here!

Nearly 99% of the time they have worked great for me, its just that loss of confidence in somthing when it doesnt work,

Those presicion ballistic's jobbies look intersting tho!

Where could i get my hands on some of them?? :)

looks as though the lesser quality stuff is gettin shipped over here!

Nearly 99% of the time they have worked great for me, its just that loss of confidence in somthing when it doesnt work,

Those presicion ballistic's jobbies look intersting tho!

Where could i get my hands on some of them?? :)

Shrek,

Looks like Anglo are handling them.

menial 1,

I will maybe try a few once I get to needing some more but with the 20 in the wings my 6mm usage may decline somewhat. They do look good bullets though.

A

Shrek,

Looks like Anglo are handling them.

menial 1,

I will maybe try a few once I get to needing some more but with the 20 in the wings my 6mm usage may decline somewhat. They do look good bullets though.

A

Geoff, Anglo are no longer in existence, Chris is a one man band at the moment.

Pete.

Archived