getting annoyed with V-max!

shrek

Tony H, nobody doubts the findings you have with the ammunition you buy in the States for what to us would appear peanuts.

Over here we'll be paying around £30+ per hundred and if you have any misgivings about the bullets you are using it's not unusual to vote with your feet and change to something else.

Pete.

Geoff, Anglo are no longer in existence, Chris is a one man band at the moment.

Pete.

I was aware of that but not what he is now trading as, all a bit new but it gave the lad a contact which was what he was looking for. Pretty sure that the web site is still there.

A

Good morning - not entirely sure what points you're making re:

Tony H, nobody doubts the findings you have with the ammunition you buy in the States for what to us would appear peanuts.

Over here we'll be paying around £30+ per hundred...

I'm not in the States - I live in Devon, where I get quoted anything from £18 - £22+ per 100 for 22-cal V-Max in various weights. I always take advantage of N.American prices when there, as I was a couple of weeks ago - still have some in an old box from years ago showing a Michigan dealer's price of under US$15 a box...

..and if you have any misgivings about the bullets you are using it's not unusual to vote with your feet and change to something else.

Pete.

Quite so. Neither is it unusual to offer additional - and I hope constructive - commentary on such, which is why I assumed the poster mentioned his misgivings about V-Max in the first place, i.e. to attract comments. I've never had the slightest misgivings about V-Max, and said so! Others' mileage may vary...

Regards, TonyH

Tony H, you're quote of $40 for 250 from Cabelas would make most assume that was your regular place of purchase and therefore you perhaps reside in the States, there's nothing in your profile to suggest you reside in the UK.

Nothing too difficult to work out from my comments concerning V-max, I had a few boxes that were inconsistent so changed to Nosler BT's but they started to become too expensive for my pocket so started using Blitzking which although not the Rolls Royce of bullet choice have remained consistent throughout the time I've used them which V-max did not.

Hornady may have pulled their socks up on quality control as there are obviously a lot of contented users in the UK, Shrek just isn't one of them and has a right to say so, not everybody has to like your favourite bullet maker and we're all entitled to express our opinions in a civilised manner.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

I only wish we could buy bullets as cheaply as you can in Devon, you'll be telling us next you can still buy powder at £50 per kilo. :lol::D

Pete.

Tony H, you're quote of $40 for 250 from Cabelas would make most assume that was your regular place of purchase and therefore you perhaps reside in the States, there's nothing in your profile to suggest you reside in the UK.

Nothing too difficult to work out from my comments concerning V-max, I had a few boxes that were inconsistent so changed to Nosler BT's but they started to become too expensive for my pocket so started using Blitzking which although not the Rolls Royce of bullet choice have remained consistent throughout the time I've used them which V-max did not.

Hornady may have pulled their socks up on quality control as there are obviously a lot of contented users in the UK, Shrek just isn't one of them and has a right to say so, not everybody has to like your favourite bullet maker and we're all entitled to express our opinions in a civilised manner.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

I only wish we could buy bullets as cheaply as you can in Devon, you'll be telling us next you can still buy powder at £50 per kilo. :lol::D

Pete.

nah its gone up!

about £54 now :D:D

Andy

Well, I don't usually get round to these profile thingies, but it never occurred to me others might think I was American. I don't think i sound/write American...

I had a few boxes that were inconsistent ..........Hornady may have pulled their socks up on quality control..

Possibly, though I've honestly never before seen any suggestion that Hornady's QC had ever slipped/varied, so this surprises me.

.. not everybody has to like your favourite bullet maker and we're all entitled to express our opinions in a civilised manner.

Of course, and I trust nothing I've written has seemed uncivilised!

Pete.

Cheaply? I might have got the figures wrong, or suppressed them because they were too horrible to contemplate: we are lucky in S.Devon in having two good RFDs incl The Sportsman (UK's biggest mail orderer?) but they both charge top prices... Maybe they quoted me more than I said, can't remember. As for powder, I needed some N130 in a hurry and got it at one of these dealers - for a 1kg bottle, £68...... Fortunately in .223 this will last me a while, as will my newly replenished stash of US-sourced V-Maxes.

TonyH

Tony H, you don't have to be American to reside in the States so how can 250 bullets for $40 be considered some sort of bargain after you take into consideration the cost of flights, insurance, accomodation etc.

Obviously Hornady's quality control has slipped from time to time or this thread would never have been started.

All your replies have been perfectly civilised, most trolls are on forums similar to this site.

Perhaps you're also known as Harry, Kenneth etc. and this is you're latest guise, I couldn't really give a toss.

I feel you're taking the piss in attempting to take everything out of context so I'll make no further contribution to this thread before I say something I could later regret.

Pete.

Tony H, you don't have to be American to reside in the States so how can 250 bullets for $40 be considered some sort of bargain after you take into consideration the cost of flights, insurance, accomodation etc.

Obviously Hornady's quality control has slipped from time to time or this thread would never have been started.

All your replies have been perfectly civilised, most trolls are on forums similar to this site.

Perhaps you're also known as Harry, Kenneth etc. and this is you're latest guise, I couldn't really give a toss.

I feel you're taking the piss in attempting to take everything out of context so I'll make no further contribution to this thread before I say something I could later regret.

Pete.

Uh? Do you mean this (rubs eyes, checks level in beer glass) - ? "Troll"? Please tell me you're kidding... Re the bullets do I sound like a lunatic? Did I fly the Atlantic just to buy bullets? Answer: no, I was going there anyway (hunting...) so naturally seized the opportunity to stock up on shooting goodies. Re Hornady, when this thread started there was no immediate suggestion that the company's QC might be at fault - that came up later. I simply siad that IME I'never encountered evidence of this or heard suggestions it might have happened. That's all. I think you're over sensitive, or something - sorry if I've unintentionally wounded you...

Yours, TonyH

I took my battery pack for a wander on Tuesday night. I ALWAYS take a chest shot on a fox or if not available a neck shot, I never ever take a head shot.

Anyway I found a likely candidate in a field of sheep, he legged it away but stopped for a look over his left shoulder. I am pretty sure it was the one I missed with the 20BR a few weeks ago, it was within 100 yards of the same place and the dark back end was a similar colour. All I had was a 120 yard kneeling shot and the 65gr Vmax hit him between the eyes as intended. I had both ears the fronts of both eyes and a nose, nothing else above the nose at all. I have to say I was impressed. That one certainly expanded ok yet the previous frontal chest shot one a couple of weeks ago was hardly touched.

It was a dog fox, maybe 3 years old.

A

iv got some "very" graphic photos which im not goin to post of these sort of shots which i took with my 22-250 before i sold it, my best mates first fox was taken with that rifle, he skulled it just like you described

they were with 55gr v-max, i was very impressed with them at the time, that must have been a couple of years ago now, its just the recent batch of bullets im using which seem to be giving the bother, they're accurate enough, just not satified with the terminal ballistics

iv got some "very" graphic photos which im not goin to post of these sort of shots which i took with my 22-250 before i sold it, my best mates first fox was taken with that rifle, he skulled it just like you described

they were with 55gr v-max, i was very impressed with them at the time, that must have been a couple of years ago now, its just the recent batch of bullets im using which seem to be giving the bother, they're accurate enough, just not satified with the terminal ballistics

Hi Shrek

I had a similar problem with V Max's a bit back , a certain batch would not expand at all , 50 grain .224 they where dire. I emailed hornaday and they took 6 months to reply they gave me a load of guff and quite frankly they couldn't give a toss.

The problem with them is this , it is down to the way they form the jackets using a punch and as it wears, the jackets get thicker , making the bullets more durable , my batch was made as the punch was at the end of it's life.

Weigh the bullets and measure the length then compare with other batch's .

you could be suprised . Mine where longer yet weighed 2 grains less !!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution use a bullet made with a J4 jacket

Spider

Like i explained earlier, due to the unsatisfactory results with 85grn Nosler Varmint BT's and contrary to this thread, i took the plunge and purchased a box of 75grn V-max for my 257 AI.

Pushed along at 3500+ hopefully they will do the biz on any hapless varmint that comes into range :lol:

Ian.

They should be fine, I have never had a real issue with Vmax, good foxgetters, never hit one that I have failed to drop on the spot although I rarely take anything much longer than 200 yards on them.

A

Hi Ian,

The good old 75gn V-Max has been my varminting bullet of choice for many many years, first off in the various .243 and now in the 6BR.

Driven at around the 3400fps mark I can honestly say I have no complaints, mostly

body shots (largest target!) with the odd head shot when that is the only shot that presents itsself.

I have just depleted Reloading Solutions stocks to the tune of 500 rounds and will carry on using this bullet for

as long as it's available.

Good luck with it...I just know you'll love it!!

What load are using in the BR???

Cheers

Neil

Archived