Surgeon in Prague

Andy (Ronin) went well out of his way to build and then deliver a Surgeon rifle for one of my mates - a police sniper at Prague airport in the Czech Republic. This of course involved more paperwork headaches for Andy with the DTI, however even with DTI delays the rifle was completed from start to finish and delivered within 7 months.........which is about 6 months less than my RPA took.

My mate is a tad fussy......his work TRG22 is ok.....sort of and he thinks my AI AWP is a bit of a tractor. So after many decisions and options...this with the help of Andy this is what they came up with: Mc Millan A5 adjustable stock bedded and pillar bedded with QD sling points and forend rail, Bartlein tube 1:12 (308 win) 25" threaded, Jewell trigger, Badger bottom metal to use AI mags, Surgeon short action, TPS rings and NXS 8-32x56 scope MLR reticule, Harris BRMS bipod. Barrel and action were painted by Kal (Jamie)...Duracoat UK.

DSC06097.jpg

Andy did an outstanding job on it, perfect bedding and fit and finish is excellent. Andy even brought the Sekonk kit over to mount the scope properly. My mate was well chuffed....he had a grin on his face all day.

DSC06087.jpg

Pics are with a mobile and do not do the rifle justice.

Again a big thanks to Andy....outstanding.

David

I think i will be behaving myself on the next stag night in Prague :lol:

I'd recommend that, even the girl-police over there will tear off your arms and beat you to death with the stumps (not to mention the 50 year-old bloke-police who'll outrun and outshoot you [there's you're opening David! :lol: ]

David, Andy,

Very very nice :lol:

thats an awesome piccy of the rifle sitting on the case it looks very meanacing

A pleasure David, a "flying visit" literally ;) but very enjoyable neverthless.

A few more pics before it arrived in Prague.

DSCN1734.jpg

I added a pair of flush cups to the stock sides too

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1736.jpg

DSCN1731.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

A couple of groups with SAAMI spec 155g loads (45g Vit 140) these were not measured for the rifle, just testing loads I use if I build a 308 - looks like it will be a shooter.

3 shot cleaning bettween each one.

155gScenar3shot.jpg

5 shot cleaning bettween each one.

155gScenar5shotgroup.jpg

Hi Ronin, I did call the lad today whilst he was on range with it (only 100m local) he said with Sako Match 168 grain ammo (issue) it just keeps putting one buzllet on top of the next. He's very happy with it.

David.

Great news David.

Look forwards to seeing the pictures of the groups.

• 3 weeks later...

As everyone has said ,its a cracking looking rifle and also shoots very very well.

what sort of distances will it be reaching??

What make/type of trigger unit does the action come with?? cant see the trigger on the rifle

Cheers Andy

Trigger is a Jewell, if it were mine I think I may have gone for a Jackson Rifles 2 stage one.

Weight and colour I dont know but Ronin will. I do know it balances very well.

Range - I have a shoot with plod next week. The lad will bring the rifle to use - he will use 168 grain Sako match ammo - range is out to 2km but we will only go out to 1km. Expect he will kick my ass out to about 500m then my 155 grain Scenars should have a significant wind drift advantage. General sort of thought here is that about 800m is do-able with 308, after which you really want something else.

Sods law as well - AI 50bmg ready to collect and 2km range to play on.....and no bloody time to collect it.

David.

As I recall the stock is 70% dark green / olive, 10% black, 10% grey, 10% white.

Weight is "sniper fill" - heaviest most solid of the fills.

The owner has reported average groups of 4.5cm at 500 mtrs using Sako match ammo, I have no reason to disbelieve this - he shoots for a living.

The reamer is min SAAMI spec "Match" from Pacific.

Great reamer for factory and handloaded ammo.

If you can persude him next week David, feed the thing some 155's, under 45g / 45.5g of 140 at 2.850" OAL, although you may have to use FL sized cases.

It will perform even better with the handloads...... :)

Had a picture sent from the chap who has the rifle now.

This target was shot at 800 mtrs (874 yds)

Targets are 20cm (8 inch) diameter, and shot in 30 degree heat in gusting 8m/s (17 mph) crosswind

I recon the group is just under 7.5 inch horizontal spread (down to wind) and 3 inch vertical spread (Shot with SAKO Factory Match ammo)

800m.jpg

Not sure about the hole in the top left - am assured that this was a three shot group, albeit over two targets, its still impressive with factory ammo.

Top left hole was from next set of targets above - board has 3 tagets high x 3 targets wide.

It was a nice day - range was similar to Libiva (for Andy) but going up hill. The wind was not much fun. Both of us did a five shot group at 100m from clean bore. My AI was about 1/2 moa with the clean bore shot included. Surgeon was tighter 1/4 moa ish from the tape measure. Both under 1/2 moa 5 shot group at 300m only 1 group shot as we wanted to get out further.

Everything was tight until after 600m then the wind blew things to pot at 700m and 800m. If you caught a constant bit of wind you got a good group but as to where on the target, lottery - one group varied from the next.........just a 308win thing, even 155 Scenars were not helping me much with the wind. Vertical was always good though.

David.

Archived