HELP in which scope to buy ?

Hi all im looking at buying a new scope,up to 20 mag with large 1/4min tactical turrets.and poss illum ret.but not usre what to go for,the 3 main makes are zeiss ,schmidt,or nightforce.any recommendations guys most welcome.any one know the goods and bads of said makes ? for comparison.

Micky

Depends what the budget is really,

NSX will do all you want, I am really liking my new one, turrets are pretty bomb proof by all accounts. People slag its after dark performance a bit, my eyes are nowhere near what they once were but once I get that lit reticule switched on it is fine.

Ziess have come a long way in last few years in turret design and I hear good things about them, optically my old one does out perform anything else I look through on a regular basis. But their prices are significantly higher than NSX. I did have a look through one of Menial 1s PM2s the other week, it was it good light but it looked a real peach of a scope especially once he adds some illumination.

Someone suggested a few weeks ago buying a used S&B and sending it back for a refurb/update, that may be a good cost effective route to get what in effect would be a new scope.

One things for sure, whatever you choose you will be outing those Luepolds !!

A

Zeiss and S/B have brilliant low light ability, Nightforce doesn't. All well made and have good repeatability when dialling, the Nightforce just doesn't have the twilight factor of the other two. My requirements are obviously diferent to some but those that have used all three brands would find it difficult to disagree that the Europeans have it when the light is poor.

Just my opinion, all three good under a lamp, depends on the use you are going put the scope to.

Suffice to say I'm about to trade my last NXS 5.5-22x 56 for another PM11 and that will be all my rifles wearing S/B in various configurations.

Pete.

Thanks for the info guys,any guys on here that have Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56T ?? this scope is looking good on my list. but if anyone has one,and can let me know if i would be making the right choice.

Mick

I don't have one but have looked through several that belong to friends. You can't go wrong with them, the glass is much better than the Night force, but I think the Night force has better reticles.

You don't see many come up for sale second hand and there's a very good reason for that, should one be available at a sensible 2nd hand price I would probably buy it to replace one of my Night forces.

Thanks for that ian. and yes agree with what you say about reticles,thats what im looking into now.

Mick

I don't have one but have looked through several that belong to friends. You can't go wrong with them, the glass is much better than the Night force, but I think the Night force has better reticles.

You don't see many come up for sale second hand and there's a very good reason for that, should one be available at a sensible 2nd hand price I would probably buy it to replace one of my Night forces.

I had a quick look at a Victory Diavari 6-24x56T whilst at Steve Kershaws last week. Very nice bit of kit. Its very compact and appeared to be shorter than the others mentioned. It would be my choice if I was ever in the position to spend a couple of k on a scope.

Any idea what prices he has them at and what reticles available mate,?

mick

I had a quick look at a Victory Diavari 6-24x56T whilst at Steve Kershaws last week. Very nice bit of kit. Its very compact and appeared to be shorter than the others mentioned. It would be my choice if I was ever in the position to spend a couple of k on a scope.

If you wanted a Zeiss scope but could find the ret you wanted would it not be an idea to approach them and ask bout having a custom ret made?

Just a thought....

Hi ronin,

yes its a thought mate,just looking on there website.so will send a email out,see what they say.

Mick

If you wanted a Zeiss scope but could find the ret you wanted would it not be an idea to approach them and ask bout having a custom ret made?

Just a thought....

Id love to try one & have a swap around of my scope situ

i have aNF on my foxer 243ai which to be fair dosent get much dialing these days as i use my 308 for the long stuff

i have leup on my vx3 on my 308 which is a bit pants at night but great for dialing

the nf is noticebly better then a ziess conquest at night but in a ideal world the NF would go on the 308 & id sell the leup & put a victory on the 243

think the ziess is half cm click turrets to & not 1/4moa turrets

cheerrs Andy

Archived