Powder prices in the USA.

menial 1

Take a look at the prices in the States from this vendor, makes me wonder why Vihtavourri costs consideraby less after it's shipped so far.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?ite...dir=278|283|313

Wish I could buy 8lb of N140 for $162 or even others at $24 per pound, I'd be tempted to experiment a great deal more with powders.

Pete.

Now you understand my frustration having come from the US. I can carry bullets and brass on the plane. I have plenty of primers and they aren't that expensive here. But powder is the wildcard for me. I want to try 2-3 different powders for 2 different rifles, but that isn't going to happen.

Two options come to mind, but neither has happened yet.

(1) It would be wonderful if retailers would be willing to break up a pound of powder until small lots like quarter and half pounds. A quarter pound would do 100 rounds (150 in the AH) for most of my guns which is more than enough for load development. I understand the safety issues involved. But frankly, charge me half the price of a pound for a quarter pound. I'm still saving £15 per powder to try and you'll double your money (less the packaging for the new stuff) on a pound. A few people have done that in the US with bullets where you can order a quarter box or so to see if your gun likes them.

(2) An informal powder exchange here on the boards. I know it happens some, but it would be nice if we could exchange more. I have plenty of H4198 for people to try. I would like to try N120, H335, and AA1680 (good luck with that one).

Thanks,

Rick

Now you understand my frustration having come from the US. I can carry bullets and brass on the plane. I have plenty of primers and they aren't that expensive here. But powder is the wildcard for me. I want to try 2-3 different powders for 2 different rifles, but that isn't going to happen.

Two options come to mind, but neither has happened yet.

(1) It would be wonderful if retailers would be willing to break up a pound of powder until small lots like quarter and half pounds. A quarter pound would do 100 rounds (150 in the AH) for most of my guns which is more than enough for load development. I understand the safety issues involved. But frankly, charge me half the price of a pound for a quarter pound. I'm still saving £15 per powder to try and you'll double your money (less the packaging for the new stuff) on a pound. A few people have done that in the US with bullets where you can order a quarter box or so to see if your gun likes them.

(2) An informal powder exchange here on the boards. I know it happens some, but it would be nice if we could exchange more. I have plenty of H4198 for people to try. I would like to try N120, H335, and AA1680 (good luck with that one).

Thanks,

Rick

I also think that is a good idea and easily do able, just wonder what a gunshops insurers might say though handling loose powder. Personally I think the manufacturers ought to offer small cans.

I have H322, N133 and N150 if anyone wanted to come and borrow some. the H322 is very spare, bought it for my PPC but started on N133 and never looked back. Just started with it in the 20BR under light bullets.

Menial 1,

Be aware that we are limited to about 5kgs on powder storage unless you hold an RFD ticket.

A

al,

That 322 is interesting to me. I meant 322 when I typed 335. I'm looking for something for 40-52 gr bullets in the 223 and 322 and 335 are known performers there. ATM I have the 4198 that I've been using with the 40's, but it is a bit fast for 50's and up from what I udnerstand.

Thanks,

Rick

H4198 is practically identical burn speed wise to N133 with H322 a shade slower.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

You are quite welcome to come and get some, not sure if anyone I know locally is going to the CLA, I doubt it to be honest. Pm me if interested in coming down but if you do bring the rifle and dies and we can load some up and try it for you. I might be coming to Buxton for a few hours workwise in the next 2 weeks or so, got to paint a window.

A

If you are going to the CLA i have some spare 322(about 1/5th) of a tub that you are more than welcome to. I will be there on the friday but if you are there on a different day perhaps Gary would be kind enough to keep a hold of it for you until you can collect.

casts by fly,

What you've said has jogged a few (what remain) brain cells of mine. IIRC, I think it was Hodgdon's that was offering (at least in the states) a "Reloader's variety pack" that had exactly waht you're talking about. Sets of powders that were around a similar burn rate, that wer sold so reloaders could figure out what worked best for them and not have several pounds of unused powder sitting around. Don't know what ever became of it, or if they still do it, but it was a neat idea...

Menial 1,

Be aware that we are limited to about 5kgs on powder storage unless you hold an RFD ticket.

A

Geoff, your neighbour can hold 5 kilos, your other neighbour can hold 5 kilos, you're granny can hold 5 kilos and so on if you get my drift. As far as I can gather, anybody can purchase powder and as long as it's nitro there are no special requirements for it's storage and no proof of your reason as to it's purchase.

Pete.

Pete,

I think what Geoff meant to say is that you need to register your premises for the storage of explosives if you intend to:

1. Keep more then 5kg of smokless propellent

2. Keep more then 15kg of Black Powder

3. Keep more then 10lb of Black powder and 5kg of Smokeless propellent combined.

In addition to 1,2 and 3 above you may aslo keep upto 15kg of smallarms ammunition, Primers and percussian caps.

COER 1991 & MSER 2005 approved by HSE

Ian.

there are allsorts of hidden rules and regs regarding the decanting of powder, which is the main reason that firms in the UK dont do it. It would be a great idea to do 1/4lbs, and theoretically can be done.

However :lol: powder canisters are designed to melt, or burst before the contents explode.i would guess they aren,t cheap either, and the possible health and safety infringements are probarbly what stop people.

Pete.

If you are anywhere near Bisley, or can get some picked up...Fred, in the armoury is starting to buy powder, which is accurate arms, and i believe vhitavuori, in 50 KG containers. he can do this because Bisley have their own magazine. He is now , or will be in the very near future, decanting it, into canisters which are supplied by the customer, and must be powder containers, and CLEARLY labelled. Ie, take down an old vhit 140 can, for a decanted kilo of 140 etc. It will be a very good price apparently.

I may be being a little thick here, but what or where is HPS please?

Thanks for the info about Bisley Dave, my mate keepers on the Duke of Northumberlands estate in Surrey so I could kill two birds with one stone and combine a visit to both as Bisley is about 25mins from the estate.

Pete.

£960 is a lot to cough up in one go for powder don't think the wife would appreciate the wisdom in that one :lol:

.... but if we were to have a group buy I'll have 2 kgs n140 :lol:

Archived