Aftermarket trigger for Rem 700

Hi, I have done a bit of searching on the net and have come up with 3 alternatives

1- probably the best and most expensive-Jewell

2- Shilen

3-Rifle basix

Trigger is for a SA 700 in 308, use is range work and hunting.Have adjusted the original trigger a few times to approx 750g but it keeps developing a bit of creep even though the release weight seems constant.Looking at something in the 1 1/2- 2lbs pull range.Also how are the alternatives priced in UK? Over here(Norway) Midway want £370 for a jewell :lol: . I travel backwards and forwards a bit between the two countries and also have visitors so what I was thinking was buying in UK and then suitcasing it into Norway? Regards Toby

Sadly the answer is the most expensive the Jewell, they're superb.

I was very dissapointed with the rifle basics they were no better than a well adjusted factory unit.

No experience with the Shilen.

Cheers

Dave

What about Jackson's CG two stage?

Great trigger but apparently none available until October unless someone has one on the shelf.

If anyone has a Rem 700 model with safety available I'd be interested.

TC

Toby

having the advantage of using three aftermarket triggers over the years on my own Rems I will say this:

The CG - two stage and a lovely unit, sealed as well as any other trigger and well made. Would suit both target and hunting - but you have to like two stage triggers... circa 220 GBP over here

I do

Jewel - great trigger, no creep and ajustable using the lighter springs to BR pull weights - expensive...circa 220 GBP over here

Shilen - half the price of the Jewel and just as good (in terms of quality, finish and creep free feel) the last one I bought was 150 GBP (dont know what they are now)

Out of the three, I personally prefer the CG unit.

I have Rifle Basix LV-1K on both my rifles, factory set at about 12oz.

I think they are very good units, with a nice wide serated trigger shoe and positive safety which in my opinion is better then the Jewel safety when in the standard remmy position.

They will send direct to your front door as well.

Ian.

TC, we have the remmy cg units on the shelf i believe, with a choice of blades.

All models of the rifle basix in stock, and at least two models of jewell, if not three.

The rb triggers are good if people pick the correct pull range for what they require. They come pre-set at around the half way mark, and do not like being adjusted to the bottom of their range. They will usually drop on shutting the bolt if adjusted thus. Otherwise...great trigger, sold hundreds of them.

We seem to sell nothing but Jewell these days however. The rb triggers have gone up to £150 on average [it varies from model to model] whereas the rrp for a jewell is £230, or £200 if incorporated in a build.

Only used one shilen, on a mate,s gun, and it was excellent.

Triggers are a controlled part from the states, and shipping without an export permit is a federal offence. People do it, including rifle basix however.

I find it hard to believe that it is illegal for Rifle Basix to ship internationally without an export licence.

They openly display their International ordering policy and prices on their site, that would be extremely foolish if this was a federal offence.

I would also have thought that US customs would have something to say when the declaration is being filled out.

Ian.

Changed my VS to a rifle basix and it does everything I want. Paid about £90 ish.

As others have said this unit will perform better with grit and dirt knocking about. Once had an issue deerstalking where the safety went gritty but the trigger performed faultlessly still.

On others advice I went for the up to 1 1/2 lbs trigger (ERV 1 I think) and found it a bit light. No issues making it heavier however and now spot on to my liking.

Anything over a $100 dollars in value requires an export license Ian. Triggers are a controlled part, and require one, thats a fact. How American companies choose to flout their own laws is up to them.

midway were fined into the tens of thousands of dollars a few years back, for shipping military spec mounts out of the US. have a look here in sinclair,s conditions.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/international_customers

Its under United States defence restricted items.

If you want to know what makes them so windy...it was the fact, the US marines kicked a door in, in the first gulf war, and found dozens of babbling women, sat behing dozens of dillon reloading machines, churning out 9mm ammo by the bucketful. Dillon could not export, full stop, for years afterwards.

there is also another newish export law to contend with too. All companies wishing to export parts, etc, now have to registered with the government, and their name MUST be on the list.

Bob at rifle basix is, or has retired now, passing the buisness on to a trusted friend, and his son.

He is a fairly close family friend of our buisness.

Archived