Pipe dream

Hi

I currently have a .22-250 and a .243 with a provision for a 30-06 (which i cant afford)

Once the .22-250 is shot out i am planning on re barreling it with a 6br, 6.5x47, 6x47 (or any other 6 ish mm) getting rid of the .243.

This means that the 'ex-.22-250' will be my everyday rifle for fox, vermin and also deer (mostly munties, fallow and roe)

Which of the 3 calibres would you go for in the rebarrelling for low recoil, relatively flat shooting and good 'impact'

Id stress that the .22-250 is in good health at the moment so this is a long term thought but i want to get some idea of the options so it isnt a rush job at the end.

Dan

(also what are peoples thoughts on BSA rifles? any good?)

to be honest your missing a golden opputunity, you are going to rebarrel a 22-250 fair enough, and you want to rebarell this in a 6mm derivative, when you are about to get rid of a decent calibre using the 6mm bullet namely the .243. why not sell the 22-250 now and keep the .243 and then that'll free up some funds for your 30-06

Ah, i didnt mention that the M595 (.22-250) cant go anywhere as it is an 'inheritance' from a friend who died. That gun is staying with me until i am gone as well (although it might take a few forms on the way)

I would think about rebarreling in .243 but i was under the impression that the others i have looked at out perform the .243 (based on talking to a few people and the fact that the .243 isnt often used by the target fraternity although i accept that i never shoot targets seriously its nice to have a gaurentee)

Dan

i beleive your 22-250 is a tika and you want to keep it , working on the idea that you reload your own i would rebarrel it in 22-250 ackley improved, sell the .243 to help fiance the new barrel and dies

you have the cases already if you have been keeping the 22-250 brass

now i bet thATS SCREWED YOUR IDEAS UP

It has to an extent but i would quite to have one rifle that can do it all on a day to day basis (deer and fox) so that im never out with the wrong gun and i dont have to adjust to different set ups and then maybe once i have released the funds get a bigger calibre that will be boar legal and for the bigger deer.

Good point about the brass though, i have got a fair old number of cases.

Its times like these you wish you had never even started thinking about these things.

p.s. just to clarify, what advantages do the 6br, 6x47 and 6.5x47 have over the .243

The short answer is rebarrel to a 6.5x47, this will do all you require of it (even reds with 129g SST's)

The 595 would be lovely in this calibre.

The others have merit (well some) but are 6mm's, for a "do all" I personally would start looking at 6.5mm.

Just my 2p

I realise there isnt much explnation but the discussion has been rolled around severl times here (if you do a search)

Oh yes

BSA's - lovely rifles, if you can find a shooter - there are loads of 30-06's / 270's about - most you will find have had some kind of bedding job under the forward action screw, if you take em apart.

These are now 20 - 30 yr old rifles - you can find better for similar money - by better, I mean newer tech (such as older tikka's, sako's and rem 700's)

The short answer is rebarrel to a 6.5x47, this will do all you require of it (even reds with 129g SST's)

BSA's - lovely rifles, if you can find a shooter - there are loads of 30-06's / 270's about - most you will find have had some kind of bedding job under the forward action screw, if you take em apart.

These are now 20 - 30 yr old rifles - you can find better for similar money - by better, I mean newer tech (such as older tikka's, sako's and rem 700's)

Agree on the 6.5x47 as a do-it-all. This is a significant step above the .22-250 and superbly accurate. Will easily tip over anything in the UK.

As for old BSAs, the early Hunters/Imperials etc are fantastic hunting actions but the later ones like the Monarch (of which I still have my childhood .270) aren't in the same class. Stay well clear of the CF2s- they're the equivalent of the post-64 Wins, ie accountants guns.

cheers

Chris-NZ

Mossy dog, i bet your wishing you hadnt asked haha,

However, back you your original question,

Once the 22-250 is shot out i would rebarrle it to 6mmBR, everyone on here probably knows i would say this to you but it really is a stonking calibre, maby shot placement it of more importance on the bigger deer, but my logic puts it, its accurate enough to shoot em in the head, and nothings goin to get back up from that shot :D

those older tikkas really are nice rifles! (hence me owning a m590, m55 and m65A :lol: )

Shrek

my friend has just rebarreled from .243 to a 6.5x47 and is very happy with it for every thing from fox to big woodland red, but same as allways it depends more on shot placement, bullet type and how aware the animal is of your presence etc.

I shoot a 6.5x55 Tikka With a robertson shioulette stock and use it for every thing, have two loads 100gr nosler bt and 140 nosler partitions and never had a problem and i regulary shoot all 6 deer species.As far as the 30 cal i am just having a 300 win mag made. Two rifles cover everything from muntjac up to a brown bear if i want.

Hope this helps.

Archived