Varmint Rig

This is the beauty of improved cartridges Dan you dont need variation because you are not changing either the calibre and the parent cartridge.

Both my 22-250 AI and my 257 AI are listed on my FAC as 22-250 and 257 cal.

Ian.

same here for my .243 ai on me ticket its a .243

Sweet..... Love the stock.. The more i read about 6.5 x 55 ack the more i want a rifle chambered in it.

Not sure about the tight neck bit... Does it really make a huge difference in accuracy compared to a standard chamber ?

Get in touch with Chris and I'm sure he'll let you shoot his own personal 6.5x55 Ackley. This rifle is tightnecked and is bloody accurate and as much a pleasure to shoot as the original calibre. I guess I'm lucky as I get to test fire quite a few of his builds and if I was looking to rebarrel a 6.5 I would go this route, the gains in velocity plus improved accuracy is phenomenal.

When he told me of his plan to chamber this way, I said it would seem a lot of faffing about for not a lot of gain, fortunately he had more faith than me and it's a real success.

Be nice to see a target shooter take up the gauntlet with this one.

Pete.

Its been used to good effect for a couple of years Pete. I have two mates who shoot the cartridge. One still does, and the other has switched to a 7mm-284. Only because his barrel had burnt out however. both rated the catridge for "f" class, and 1000 yards.

Steve Dunn is one of the two friends of mine Ian. He,s still shooting it i think.

the other guy is les holgate. The 7mm-284 is actually the original .284 win i believe ? or the "straight 284 as its known up here > i know little about it. Its not one i,ve ever chambered.They are usually the 6.5-284 and occasionally the 6mm-284. It apparently has very good barrel life, and of course, the 7mm in any shape or form , is the current "darling" for br.

Excuse my ignorance regarding target shooting, it's something I do a couple of times a year on jollies to Bisley with a local club. I simply can't control body movements sufficiently for competition shooting, also have very little sensation in my trigger finger due to an accident 25yrs ago, so a fairly fruitless pastime for me I'm afraid.

There you go Grant, not only a cracking field tool but a proven calibre for target work as well.

Pete.

Thats a lovely looking rig and the very best with it.

Just out interest is it very heavy?

Dave

about 18 lb all up cheers chris

Guest Kenneth
about 18 lb all up cheers chris

18lb................!!! :lol: :lol:

I take it you don't walk very far with it. I don't think my old PH target rifle weighed more than 12-13lb

7mm-284 Dave, just makes it sound like a re-invented cartridge "Hey i have just necked up this 6.5-284 case to take a 7mm bullet, i am going to call it a 7mm-284." :lol::lol:

Ian.

Yep, take your point Ian, however, i think the reason i,ve heard it referred to as the 7mm-284 is because 9 out of 10 folk probarbly dont recognise, or know it as its original chambering...the .284 winchester, which was originally developed as a hunting round.

i reckon if preople were asked, they would think the 6.5x284, and even the 6mm-284 were the original chamberings, not the wildcats they were.

I believe the original winchester brass is still made too.Personally, i would neck up the lapua or norma.

Or you could have the improved version - 284 Winchester imp, slightly increased velocity, with non of the "burning" atributes of the WSM's...

284 Winchester, like 280 Remington has been around for decades, your right when you say people think the 6.5 wildcat version is the "original" :lol::lol: blissful ignorance

Both are .284" calibre (7mm), the winchester is currently having a resurgance in interest - if I was going to have one, I too would use Lap 6.5 x 284 brass and neck it up.

Archived