What does your FAC say?.....

adam204

I have just had my fac renewed and when filling in the variation forms I stated that my .204 ruger will be used for crow, rabbit, fox and vermin and pest control. I had it back today saying I may use the .204 for the shooting of foxes and zeroig on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police. Does this mean that I cannot shoot rabbits and crows?

Has anyone else come across this? Had a problem along these lines?

Thanks

Adam.

yes you need to get it to state vermin as well as the old bill dont class foxes as vermin

Had similar problems before, contact your FEO and explain. They will probably want your ticket back.

Make sure you have signed it before you return it as it is an offence not to if they are being picky ;)

I phoned Dyfed Powys firearms on wednesday to ask if i could have vermin added to fox on my cert.

They asked what caliber, and i told them 204.

The woman asked if that would be overkill.

I told them there was no such thing as overkill, only underkill.

She told me to send in a letter to ask for vermin to be added and the management would have a look at it!

Have to see what happen`s.

Got fox,vermin and ground game on all my centre fires. Seems scottish firearms dept's are a little more relaxed. ;)

Ads

Got fox,vermin and ground game on all my centre fires. Seems scottish firearms dept's are a little more relaxed. ;)

Ads

ive got both my .243 ai and 6.5-284 passed for fox deer and vermin.

Got vermin, ground game, fox and deer on all my rifles. I suggested that if it's safe to shoot a deer, then it's safe to shoot a rabbit. Pointing out the type of animal was immaterial, just the backstop that was important.

Thanks for the replies lads. I will ring BASC monday and get there information on it. They may also be able to give me some words I can put forward to my feo that will chnge their minds.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Adam

Thanks for the replies lads. I will ring BASC monday and get there information on it. They may also be able to give me some words I can put forward to my feo that will chnge their minds.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Adam

Adam,

What other calibre rifle's do you own and can shoot vermin with???

You certainly should have no problems in getting it changed to have vermin added.

This is from the BASC site;

Change to firearms certificates conditions and calibres

11 June 2009

A new condition for firearms certificates, which would allow shooters with larger calibre rifles to take smaller pest species, has been approved by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG).

The following condition can now be applied where firearms licensing managers think it is practical to do so:

“The (rifle/ sound moderator/ firearms / ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated* and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.”

*This wording may be removed to produce the less restrictive (open) condition.

This means rifle users will now be able to have their firearm certificate conditions amended so they can take lesser species including foxes, ground game and other pest species.

In the past some Chief Officers have prohibited the taking of smaller pest species with larger calibre rifles. Certificate holders need to deal with reasonable eventualities when managing estates and wildlife and now with the help of ACPO FELWG, this new policy should make wildlife management easier without compromise to public safety or animal welfare.

This practice has been applied in Scotland for some time now without problem. The ACPO Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group now recommends this approach to all forces as policy in England & Wales, however it must be remembered that it is still for individual chief constables to make their own decisions. BASC hopes that reasonable applications for this condition will not be refused.

Anyone who requires their certificate condition to be amended is invited to submit their certificates to their respective force Firearms Licensing Departments.

Some years ago I had a little bit of hastle having my 270 opened up for foxes , so all I said in a letter ,If I am going away shooting could I have a letter from the Firearms dept, saying it would be ok to leave my foxing rifle in the car when I was deer stalking, as I would be shooting foxes at night and needed to take the approved callibre,

It wasnt long before they give it to me.

You just have to state your case ,but with a 204 I wouldnt have thought there would have been an issue for vermin or fox ,thats what it was designed for.

Andy :wub:

on my ticket , for the .204 i have fox and vermin :wub:

I have vermin and fox on all my rifles apart from the .375H&H. That includes .300WM so you should be fine with a little reasoning. Plus you had it before so you can kick up a fuss that they've removed it. The chances are it's a simple mistake so just a polite note and your FAC will probably get it sorted.

just got mine back friday

.243 & .308 for deer fox and any other legal quarry

.223 for munjac, CWD, fox, vermin and any other legal quarry

.22rf for vermin and any other legal quarry

when i sent it away forthe 1 for 1 on the .223 it didnt have the "any other legal quarry" bits.

i guess its pretty well sorted now, as long as calibre does not infringe any law/act i can shoot anyhing now.

I have All deer species, fox, vermin and ground game for the 257.

Munjac, CWD, fox, vermin and ground game for my 22-250

Vermin and ground game for my .22LR

I purposely asked not to have fox added to the .22LR list as i dont think it is an adequate calibre in all but very favourable conditions

As i am a member of a rifle club i can also use all rifles for target shooting as well.

Ian.

Adam,

What other calibre rifle's do you own and can shoot vermin with???

You certainly should have no problems in getting it changed to have vermin added.

This is from the BASC site;

Change to firearms certificates conditions and calibres

11 June 2009

A new condition for firearms certificates, which would allow shooters with larger calibre rifles to take smaller pest species, has been approved by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG).

The following condition can now be applied where firearms licensing managers think it is practical to do so:

“The (rifle/ sound moderator/ firearms / ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated* and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.”

*This wording may be removed to produce the less restrictive (open) condition.

This means rifle users will now be able to have their firearm certificate conditions amended so they can take lesser species including foxes, ground game and other pest species.

In the past some Chief Officers have prohibited the taking of smaller pest species with larger calibre rifles. Certificate holders need to deal with reasonable eventualities when managing estates and wildlife and now with the help of ACPO FELWG, this new policy should make wildlife management easier without compromise to public safety or animal welfare.

This practice has been applied in Scotland for some time now without problem. The ACPO Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group now recommends this approach to all forces as policy in England & Wales, however it must be remembered that it is still for individual chief constables to make their own decisions. BASC hopes that reasonable applications for this condition will not be refused.

Anyone who requires their certificate condition to be amended is invited to submit their certificates to their respective force Firearms Licensing Departments.

I actually spoke to BASC today and they told me the same thing and e mailed me a copy of the new amendment. I am handing in a letter tomorrow with my ticket to get it changed.

mine says .

The firearm (s) and ammunition shall be used for the lawful shooting of vermin, ground game, fox, deer and for zeroing on suitable land over which the certificate holder has the authority to shoot.

I have a .243, .22 and .17hmr.

Funny what bulldog said as my mate in north yorkshire can get fox and deer on his 308 but not vermin. Whereas I in west yorkshire have all 3 on mine for the 308.

Go figure :lol:

Funny what bulldog said as my mate in north yorkshire can get fox and deer on his 308 but not vermin. Whereas I in west yorkshire have all 3 on mine for the 308.

Go figure :D

There's an easy answer to that. The heads of the firearms departments allow what they want to allow, not what they are supposed to allow!

It is quite frustrating for some people I imagine. It really bugs me that I can't have my .375H&H for Deer here, but that's nothing really. There's a guy on here who can't get vermin on his .223 so had to buy a Hornet too. That really stinks, he's more experienced than I am by a long way and I can have bunnies with .300WM if I decide I want to waste the powder! :lol:

The cop out (pun intended) is that it is all at the discretion of the chief officer for the area.

One set of rules would definetly make it easier for all but which set would it be.

As it suits me I will stay with the current system :D

Archived