Modified cases for OAL gauges.

auquhollie

I have a die here for threading the back of cases to fit the hornady OAL guage/tool. If anyone is wanting a case threaded for them give me a PM. £4.50 & that will inc return postage. All i will need is a fired case from your chamber.

Ads

I have a die here for threading the back of cases to fit the hornady OAL guage/tool. If anyone is wanting a case threaded for them give me a PM. £4.50 & that will inc return postage. All i will need is a fired case from your chamber.

Ads

ANY CHANCE WE CAN STICKY THIS AS I AM SURE WE ALL NEED IT SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Coltauto
ANY CHANCE WE CAN STICKY THIS AS I AM SURE WE ALL NEED IT SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE

Isn't it s standard 5/16 x 36P tap?

It may be Coltauto, but I find the split case method equally as accurate....

CA,

I think Ronin is referring to splitting a case at the neck (along the long axis), then seating a bullet (long) into the case mouth. The case is then chambered, thereby forcing the bullet into the case with enough neck tension to hold the bullet so the case can be extracted and then measured (with the bullet pushed into the split necked case). This method would give you the max OAL for a particular bullet...

Correct Ronin? :lol:

CA,

I think Ronin is referring to splitting a case at the neck (along the long axis), then seating a bullet (long) into the case mouth. The case is then chambered, thereby forcing the bullet into the case with enough neck tension to hold the bullet so the case can be extracted and then measured (with the bullet pushed into the split necked case). This method would give you the max OAL for a particular bullet...

Correct Ronin? :unsure:

That's my prefered way of doing it now, it always seems a lot more accurate, and from what I have read you're better off using a case fired from your chamber, rather than one of Stoneypoints/Hornady modified cases.

Coltauto,

Marine has described the method I use pretty well.

I use this method for all my rifles (and others) and have used it "against" the stoney point gueges (which I personally think are a waste of money) and found no discernable difference in readings.

Once you get used to carefully pushing the round into the chamber so the bullet is pushed up against the lands and then into the case neck, it becomes very easy to get repeatable and accurate results for the cost of a fired case and two minutes with a junior hacksaw / dremel slitting saw.

As Elwood has also pointed out, there may be some merit in using a fireformed case to get a true reading.

Isn't it s standard 5/16 x 36P tap?

It is the 5/16th x 36 but its a c type die (ie c for custom). Its a special die over here and costs me £90 !!!. Unfortunatly it was needed for a few wild cat cartridges.

Ads

Tracy Tools

possibly the finest source of hard to obtain dies / taps in the UK and very reasonable prices too.

Another vote for tracy tools.

Bought an oddment bag of fine taps from them years ago and now and again out of the blue one comes in handy.

Also bought some left handed drill bits and they are good for drilling out broken stubs as if they grab the direction is in your favour and you may be lucky. Can also catch a few folk out with them as well :wacko:

How much Ads ? :wacko: I paid 9 quid for a tap from tracy tools.

Why did you need a die ?

Was that a 5/16th x 36 uns ?.

I looked every where for this die in the UK. Couldnt find it apart from this one place. I agree £90 was i head fluck but needed it for a few cases. One of them was a nemisis.

Just after i bought it as well i found out that RS do a service for a fiver :wacko:

Ads

Yep, 5/16 x36 uns. I supply a modified case with all our custom or rebarrelled rifles.

I also convert customers cases for a fiver. As you confused between a tap, and a die ? i dont understand why you would need a die to convert a case ? If you have bought a die however, i can fully understand it being £90.

Yep, 5/16 x36 uns. I supply a modified case with all our custom or rebarrelled rifles.

I also convert customers cases for a fiver. As you confused between a tap, and a die ? i dont understand why you would need a die to convert a case ? If you have bought a die however, i can fully understand it being £90.

No no its a plug tap ive got and i ordered it in from a local company. :lol:

Archived