.338 Lapua magnum.

sean c

Hey All,

Do any of you lap mag shooters use reloader 22 or have any experience with it?

I understand it can be used and would like to because i use it in the 6.5x55 and it would give fewer powders lying about.

Cheers,

Sean.

Sean

Sierra V lists RL22 for 250's (89g is max giving 2950fps)

I havent tried it, used H4831, H1000 and RL25 as I prefer a fuller case.

95g of H 1000 seems to work well in the Surgeon with 250SMK's (circa 2970 fps) which is better than predicted.

Like most RL powders, they vary lot to lot, I tend to buy 2 / 3 lbs and mix them together giving one similar "lot" (dont mix em in anything that will spark though)

This bad boy is gonna get some down it on sunday. :mad:

I,ve some 250 lock base, 250 scenars, and some 300 scenars to have a go at. A mixture of vv165, and vv570 powders in the first batch.

For shits and grins, we are gonna shoot and clean for 5 rounds, then 100 yards zero, then straight onto the 500 yards benchrest comp :o

DSCN1780.jpg

Oohh, show and tell :mad:

now youve shown yours, here's the evil twin :o

_ASC0196.jpg

Get yourself up to Warcop on sunday Dave, I should be there in the afternoon (although I am on nights) so will be the one wearing a winniset nightie :D:lol:

Get yourself up to Warcop on sunday Dave, I should be there in the afternoon (although I am on nights) so will be the one wearing a winniset nightie :wacko::lol:

:o If Dave decides to come on sunday, he'll be the only one!!! Its on this saturday 30th.

Andy

Too late

sleeping beauty's coming saturday, (I will also be at Warcop)

:ph34r::lol::lol:

DSCN1780.jpg

.177 or .22? I always prefer the .22 for that extra penatration, I bet you have a job keeping that below 12ft lbs :ph34r:

You northern folk have all the fun, as much as I would like to own . 338 there's not much point living down sarf.

.22 or 177? :ph34r: your a bad man.

Have a look on the 50 cal club site Elwood, you would be surprised how many ranges down south they use. There,s only Bisley that it cant be used on. bisley banning the cartridge just increased its popularity hugely....that, and people knowing its the catridge used to level the taliban.

Me...i picked it because i have a small pecker.

Thanks for the replys chaps,

Ive loaded up some 250grn scenars with one batch vit N570 and one batch over R 25.

I will see how they perform tomorrow, i'll also see all those that are going to warcop tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean.

PS. Nice rifle baldie good luck in the comp.

This bad boy is gonna get some down it on sunday. :lol:

I,ve some 250 lock base, 250 scenars, and some 300 scenars to have a go at. A mixture of vv165, and vv570 powders in the first batch.

For shits and grins, we are gonna shoot and clean for 5 rounds, then 100 yards zero, then straight onto the 500 yards benchrest comp :lol:

DSCN1780.jpg

i see you made good use of your holidays mate...... very very nice looking, What length is the barrel finished at.... ?

very very nice..... but i don't see a trigger on it....... :ph34r:

Thats a poor pic buddy, thats why. there is a jewell in there.

I finished this, because the bloody proof house still have yours, and half a dozen others for customers.

the barrel is 30" then about 8" of moderator. Havent weighed it yet, but an offhand shot is not possible....its too heavy.

Hi Guys

New to this forum. Just thought I would post that when I used too shoot 338 ( AI ) I found that my best loads were with Vit N170 and Hodgdon H1000. Using 250gn Scenars I could have same POA from both albeit the H1000 being a slightly lower weight

looks impressive, what optic's you gonna mount on it....? Who done the barrel...?

looking forward to seeing a 50 yard group to see what it can do...... ;)

Welcome to the site Schmidtman, I believe I purchased a few 100 250g SMK's from you earlier in the year?

Some were used to good effect yesterday ;)

[

Hi

Indeed you did I hope they are working well for you. My 308AW shoots well but I miss the capabilities of my 338 one. Now I have found this site I shall be a regular visitor. Cheers

quote name=Ronin' date='May 31 2009, 04:37 PM' post='58016]

Welcome to the site Schmidtman, I believe I purchased a few 100 250g SMK's from you earlier in the year?

Some were used to good effect yesterday ;)

Dave

how did you get on with the 338 at Diggle BR today?

Excellent Andy :D

The day started badly when my buddy landed at 7.15 am and said his slipped disc was that bad, he couldn,t manage a full day, but would come up with me and RO for me on the 100 yards range. We were going to zero it, and then shoot the 600 yards benchrest for a laugh, but couldn,t for the aforementioned reason.

Anyway, we got there, and set up the targets, chrono etc, and bore sighted the beast.

Poor old Ross was looking decidely dejected, so i told him , he could have the first shot from the new gun, and that made his day.

In went the first round, and the bolt wouldn,t close. Ross initially thought i,d loaded them too long, but i knew i hadn,t. I knew it was the m14 style extractor.

When i chamber a barrel, i cut the bolt nose recess, 0.010" over the bolt nose diameter size, ie 0.005" per side. These extractors need a little bit more room to operate in, or they cant spring open, as they close over the rim....there isn,t room. So i would say the bolt nose recess needs another 0.005" taking out.

The bolt would close with a slap however, so we got on with it. 5 minutes work this evening on the extractor back, and its closing fine on the cases now. It didn,t do it on the snap caps funnily enough.

Ross took the first shot, and a big grin appeared. Then i had a shot, completely forgetting we were going to shoot and clean it. The 2,nd round went down the first,s hole, so i said sod it, we will fire the other 3 in the batch, and give it a baptism of fire. All five went down the same hole for a group of 3/4"

We then cleaned it to find, there was virtually no copper in there, and i use sweets 7.62 which would strip the enamel off your teeth at ten paces.

These were starting loads, and the subsequent ones all went around the inch mark, until we started to get to the top end of the load range, and the groups started to shrink, finally finishing on one grain off max, for a 1/4" 5 shot group.

What amazed me, was even, though it was windy...at least 10-15 miles an hour...none of this showed on the targets. The groups were just vertically strung, due to the load variances.

It, as i suspected, will be the cartridge for the wind at diggle. ;)

The velocities were good, but huge variance in extreme spreads, however, but these didn,t translate onto the targets.

Today, we only tested the 250 grain lock base bullet, and vhit 165. This bullet is an fmj, and is probarbly what goes in the loaded ammo, lapua make for the army, i would guess. I dont think its the last word in bullet technology, and i expect better things from the 250 grain scenar, the 250 grain matchking, and the 300 grain scenar i have yet to test.

Recoil was less than i expected, but just enough to stay this side of comfortable. The a-tec modular muzzle silencer takes , i would say, 25% of the felt recoil away, and the gun is unpleasant without it.

All in all, i,m absolutely astounded with its performance from new, and so little load testing. In fact, i dont think i,ve ever had a rifle that came together, shooting wise, so quickly.

The FCSA application will be in the post next week, and then Ross and i will be joining you guys at Warcop for some serious long range giggles. :D

Good to hear mate, I used Prestons recomended tolerance for the bolt counterbore (.750" plus .010" and havent had issues with extractor fouling) - guess that it is close though, ive made it pretty tight.

The lock bases are ok, but dont expect brilliance with them, at short ranges ive found them ok, but beyond 500, they start moving - especialy if es is high.

Ive used 300 and 250 SMK's as well, these are very very stable and also predictable when you start reaching out.

Load for the 250's at the moment is 94.5g H1000 - circa 2950 fps, well under max but accuracy is all I am interested in (as you know)

I am loading the SMK's to just fit in the mag - this seems to work as well rather than chase the lands.

Mine is a 9 twist by the way - yours too?

You will be made most welcome at FCSA UK shoots by the way, most chaps are the same mindset as us ;):D:D:D

Later.

Its a ten twist Andy, so it may be borderline for the 300,s ...i dont know until i try them. The aw,s shoot them, and i think they are 1 in 10,s or even 11,s.

I,m desperatly trying to steer clear of hodgdons powders, like the h1000, purely for the facts they are more expensive than vhit, and i think the supply will shortly dry up, with the american situation being what it is.

I,ve a tap coming this week [after they sent the wrong one last week ] to make some stoney point type cases with, so i will be able to get a better idea what the throat is then. I loaded all today,s specimens at SAAMI.

Thanks for the info buddy.

Archived