Do you have/use a gun dog?

Oly

Do you have/use a gun dog?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have/use a gun dog?

• Yes
    • No
    • Used to, but not currently

I have a black lab bitch who is nearly 4. If you are going to shoot live quarry, you really need a dog with you. They pick up what you can't find, go across rivers and streams, into thick cover where no one without a machette or chainsaw would get to etc.etc.

They are indispensible unless you are driven shooting and you have teams of beaters and pickers up to do the hard yards for you.

ft

I have a lab she is nine years old in the past I used her for picking up on game shoots.pigeon shooting,wildfowling etc,as of the last four years she has only been used for deer stalking have just bought a pup to train up for stalking once the lab becomes to old the pup is a cross between a GSP and Bavarian mountain hound.

Hi

I have two spanials for shotgun work and two teckels for deer stalking. My next dog will be a lab.

I have had terriers. whippets and a lurcher over many years since I was a kid. I love working and watching all types of working dogs.

I am off to a puppy show in two weeks to see the two beagal puppies I walked for the hunt.

Dogfox

hi olly i use a black lab bitch named ruby she is bang on have thought about gitting a yellow lab i reckon they would be a better colour in the forest as you can see them under the canopy of the trees and they would blend in with the moorlands i stalk any body have any thoughts on that cheers atom

Hi

I have two spanials for shotgun work and two teckels for deer stalking. My next dog will be a lab.

I have had terriers. whippets and a lurcher over many years since I was a kid. I love working and watching all types of working dogs.

I am off to a puppy show in two weeks to see the two beagal puppies I walked for the hunt.

Dogfox

Teckels? Not come across those before, any info out there on the web?

Teckels? Not come across those before, any info out there on the web?

As in any breed of dog, if your interest is showing; then you buy from champion show-bred parentage; that is the same for any working dog, you buy from good working parentage. That doesn't mean to say that a show-bred dog won't work, but why take that chance?

In most European countries it is illegal to hunt deer without a trained dog with you, and as I understand it you can show a Teckel without a working certificate, but it cannot become a champion without one. The foundation stock of The UK Teckel Stud Book Society are imports from Germany, Spain, Sweden, Belgium and Iceland and, of course, their progeny.

The Teckel is worked on all legal game, and is able to hunt a wide variety of animals, ranging in size from a field mouse, to tracking down wounded or dead wild boar, and deer by blood trailing. They dig and go to ground on fox and rabbit, and will flush out pheasant and tight sitting grouse, from dense thickets. They will also retrieve duck off water.

A working-bred Teckel makes an ideal family pet. In temperament they are sensitive, and inclined to be self-willed and stubborn, so they require firm, but fair handling, and should never be treated roughly. As it is the written law of the UK that you must not sell or receive a puppy under the age of 8 weeks (I prefer a pup at the age of 10 weeks) that is when your basic training begins: at toilet, house, lead, sit and stay. At all times, make the training fun. There is no hard or fast rule to discipline, as each dog is an individual, and if treated too harshly, it will never work for you. Also at this time, the pup is subject to a starter pistol being fired at a distance of about 30 metres. Distance is an important factor, as the pup can be easily frightened. As the pup gets older the distance gets nearer, until you are firing over the dog by the time it is 6 months old.

Whatever name is on the pedigree is immaterial, but your field name should be short and sharp such as 'Jip'. Once you've had your dog inoculated, and it walks on a lead, your training to livestock begins; e.g. chicken, sheep, cattle and horses. All working dogs must be steady to livestock, as a farmer wouldn't want you working his land if your dog is chasing his sheep etc.

Blood trailing training can begin as early as 4 months old and can be fascinating and fun, but live-work for the Teckel starts no sooner than 8 months old. Digging, and going to ground, is a natural thing to the Teckel. If you want your dog to work with deer, then it must be married to it for one to two years depending on how much work experience it is receiving, then you can let it work on fox and rabbit etc.

My three Teckels are worked on a regular basis of one week on and one week off, to deer, as Trevor my husband; (co-founder of UKTSBS) is a professional deerstalker, for Herne Woodland & Wildlife, based in Dorset. Bowe my male Teckel has earned himself a good reputation in the deer-stalking world.

Mr Nick Valentine (co-founder of UKTSBS) has done 20 years of hunt service, and is Master and huntsman of his own private pack, called the Ryeford Chase, based in Hereford. He has formed the largest pack of working Teckels in the UK today and his pack can usually be seen parading at the Houndshow, held at Stafford.

For more information on working Teckels, visit the UK Teckel Stud Book Society website at: http://www.teckel-society.co.uk

here you go mate more info here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sunsong/UKTeckel/ukteckel.htm

I have a 12 year old deaf, cantankerous sod of a Springer, used to be a star but well past his day ;)

Would not have it any other way and it will be a sad day when he's gone.

Tony

3 springers,

1 cocker,

1 gsp.

Wouldn't be without 'em.

HPIM0108.jpg

Rick.

you need to dig that wire in polski :mad:

nice looking crew by the way :o

Archived