Hedgehogs.

No i deer

Excellent. We all need to do more to support these useful yet endangered little charmers.

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/feeding/

https://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/hedgehog-fact-sheet/#Do’s-and-Dont's-to protect-hedgehogs-in-your-garden

maximus otter 

We have a set in a wooded area at the back of our place, and we've not seen a hedgehog in the garden before this little guy turned up a week ago. We've been feeding a one eyed feral cat for a while, and I put out a trailcam to see how he was doing. These are snaps from the videos.

The cat is in a bad way, covered in fleas and ticks, and we're hoping to trap him and get him sorted. He was very nervous and backed away from the little hog.

Pete

vlcsnap-2023-10-05-22h49m08s257.png

vlcsnap-2023-10-05-22h50m15s837.png

vlcsnap-2023-10-05-22h49m33s487.png

• 1 month later...

I must admit I love the little buggers, I have 2 that frequent the garden but I think only 1 that lives under the shed as I understand they are quite territorial  ( I am not a hedgehog expert) the bigger one has become very tolerant of me and will happily eat the food that we put out with me no more than a yard away ( sitting down having a fag ) the smaller one is more skittish but getting better, a few weeks ago it tried to come into the conservatory which was quite funny. A couple of years ago we had a whole family of them, the young ones would just grub around me. To watch the courtship just makes me smile, the male follows the female in circles grunting while the female takes sod all notice,  so not dissimilar to the human race really ( well in my experience)

Red

I was putting out dog food for our resident hogs for a while..

Not last week the week before I tried catching the hog eating the food and I was missing it..

A mate came around and wanted to see the hog in the garden so I put it some food out and we went out for a look and our neighbours f----- cat was there and ran off down the fence and the food was gone..

I bet that bloody cat had been eating it grrrrrr

Not put any dog food out coz I'm not feeding that good for nothing creature..

I've put other food out there it might eat 🤞

Not seen it out in the garden since then 😔

52 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Not put any dog food out coz I'm not feeding that good for nothing creature..

I've put other food out there it might eat 🤞

Not seen it out in the garden since then 😔

Just buy a cheap 60- to 80 litre plastic storage bin from your local Wilko/Pound Shop. Cut a CD case-sized hole in one end and place it in your garden covering the piggy food. (Set a couple of bricks just inside the entrance to foil cats, leaving enough room for piggies to get around them.)

maximus otter 

9 hours ago, No i deer said:

Thanks 👍 

How can you be so certain the hogs will work this out.

It must be getting near their hibernation time..

The smell of food (we use and recommend Spike’s dry food) will lure them in. Don’t forget to leave out water, too.

maximus otter