What breed of dog do you use?

Oly

Just wondering what dogs people shoot over on this forum?

Mostly HPRs?

It's likely that I will be looking for a new dog in the next year (once our our first child - due Sept - has grown to a point where I feel comfortable introducing a pup to the house). As such I need a starting point (I've been using this mostly so far - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_dog#List_of_Gundog_Breeds). I've not had a specific gun dog previously and this one will also be a family pet - and with a small child - it'll have to be well mannered. To be honest I'm not entirely sure whether I want/need a gun dog for the type of shooting I mostly do - in which case we may just get a pet - but as I am also interested in gun dogs and may simply include it as another shooting related hobby. :D

If I do go for a gun dog I would be primarily after pointing abilities, but some retrieving & flushing skills would be good. I mostly rabbit/fox/deer shoot with a decent amount of shotgun rough shooting too. Hence I think that good eyes and nose are a must, along with easy to train/good naturally bred abilities given my minimal experience with gun dogs. The wife doesn't like short-haired dogs. I think that's my spec...for now!! :wub:

I do like labs, but haven't seen many pointing, mostly just retrieving really. If they do point do I look for one with pointing parents (rather than just 'working' - probably retrieving - parents), or would I just train it to point?

I would agree with dave, you cant go far wrong with a lab, especially with a youngster in the house, as for pointing they arnt the best dogs, but my big lab will make it known that he thinks somthin is about, they are very steady dogs, easy to train loyal and i personally think they make the best companions whilst shooting (I would say that as most of my shooting is wildfowling and no other bugger will sit with me in a muddy hole in the pissin rain at 4 in the morning :D )

I am now on Meggie, my third black lab. No she does not point but she does go crackers if I have had charlie in the garden overnight. Bombproof with kids, eager to please, good nose, soft mouth, a real friend. Tends to wander off sheep poo hunting given half a chance and LOVES to roll in fox crap.

Had a season pheasants with her, maybe 25 days including some picking up last winter. She took to it like a duck to water. Her first Canada out of a lake and up a dam wall, it was nearly as big as her. Another wounded one tried to take off with her attached to its backside !, Not actually done any centerfire work with her yet. One thing at a time although she does sit quietly when I am target shooting.

A

Anyone had any experience of Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla's? They look and sound like a great HPR breed

A friend of ours have a pair of them. To be honest there a pain in the ar5e, they are very vocal dogs and when we go around for an evening there constant whining wears thin quite quickly, it may just be there particular dogs but dam its annoying.

Cheers

Dave

Anyone had any experience of Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla's? They look and sound like a great HPR breed

First off there are not a lot of them about and most will be used for showing so may not have the best working ability and you will have to do your research (but then you should with any breed as there are plenty of poorly bred dogs in any breed :lol: )

Vizslas are not free of health problems, the ones I know have skin and digestion issues.

Having said that you can train any dog to point and although it may not be a classic point stance my Labs do a good job, so all you would have to do is spend a little time/effort shaping the behaviour. I never bothered as mine are mainly used in the beating line or rough shooting phesant. IMHO you would have to look a long way for a better all round dog. However they do have an uncanny ability to find anyones sarnies, clear coffee tables with a single stroke and fetch things that you didnt know you needed (so be prepared for all toys to be well slobbered!). Having said that mine appear to know when a person needs to be treated gentily and are great with toddlers and a bit rougher as they get older. Hell my eldest Lab even worked out that I had hurt my back and managed to wiggle under me so I could crawl to the phone !

But if anyone knows how to stop my youngest rolling in fox poo all tips greatfully recieved :rolleyes::lol:

3 cockers and 4 labs all used for pickin up , dogging in and shouting at.

plus the wife she is bit of an old growler

Another vote for the Lab here, great with kids and very patient with me.

There is a chap on a local shoot who has a spinone, and I could give it a home! Very nice natured dog, and it will work all day. Mind you, it is the only one I have ever seen.

ft

I'm a reteiver man (Lab and Chesapeke), I think as your first gun dog you wouldn't go far wrong with a Lab, especially with the family in mind as well. Personally I would never have a pointer, but thats just me. Retreivers do everything I want with the shooting that I do (deer, fox, vermin and for beating and picking up). My friend has 4 English Setters which are a menace really, I've seen more unruly pointers than good ones. But as I said it's all down to personal preference. Good luck with whatever you choose. ATB Gareth

I have a wirehaired vizsla bitch she's a six year old, she is a great pet but very soft. She will hunt, point and she will retrieve at a push ,she doesn't like the gun much, but saying that she won't run off. I waited about 12 months to get her, having been dicked about by a breeder for 6 mths with fruitless promises.

But last year by chance I went as an adviser to have a look at a litter of black lab pups with a friend. We both came home with bitch pups , she is just twelve months and is probably the best dog I have ever have had. If you can get the right breeding it makes all the difference. Go to the local shoot and have a chat with the pickers they might be able to advise you.

Would I have another vizsla probably, would I get another black lab thats a no brainer.

Dave

Interesting, much for me to continue to mull over me thinks!! Thanks for all the responses so far!

If you want a Vizla now some of you will know/remember Tiggs/GJB who regretably and unexpectedly died recently at 43. He had a dog, bitch and 5 pups at the time of his death. I have stalked with the dog in Scotland and he was good as gold. I know that Longshot on PFS was trying to sell the adults and pups there but there may be some left.

A

Thanks A, but I think it best if I have a bit more of a think first, and also allow our littl'un to arrive and settle before introducing a pup to the family. But thanks for letting me know, and you never know I may be after picking your brains in about a year on the matter again!

English springer spaniel, two terriers, Border and Jack Russell x Stafford, lurcher deerhound/greyhound/bearded collie cross. These cover all my needs on the estate shoot. A working spaniel is the last dog I would consider having in the house, the other three all settle in a short space of time if they come inside.

The most interesting dog I've been watching for the last few years is the pointador, german wirehaired pointer x black lab, will point game birds and deer, find and kill wounded deer, has all the nicest traits of labs and is generally more biddable than pointers. They tend to get hardmouthed on game once they have been used on deer or fox but are really good round children.

A couple of pro stalker friends in Scotland now use these for all their deer work.

Pete

The most interesting dog I've been watching for the last few years is the pointador, german wirehaired pointer x black lab, will point game birds and deer, find and kill wounded deer, has all the nicest traits of labs and is generally more biddable than pointers. They tend to get hardmouthed on game once they have been used on deer or fox but are really good round children.

A couple of pro stalker friends in Scotland now use these for all their deer work.

Pete

Your right, that does sound interesting.

if your looking for hungarian wirehair vizlas speak to Roy Bebbington owner of these dogs and the website

best in the country and ive seen his dogs personally working down in north yorkshire...amazing

these dogs ALL working strian and proving workers

http://gonegoswirehairedvizslas.moonfruit.com/

sauer

Cheers Sauer, not sure if I've already seen his website or not already, but much appreciated anyhow!!

Two labs, two ESS, one sprocker and two German Shepherds. Picking up/beating line/dogging in/security you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of my sprocker :D

I have to agree with everyone here, for a first time dog a Labrador is perfect. All the pointers Visla's etc are for the more advanced handler, you need lots of time and patience and someone with a special interest with the breed to help you out.

Just about anyone (within reason) can give you basic advice on training a Labrador.

Ian, I know what you mean, but my main reason for not going down the lab route is that they aren't natural pointers - which is what I am really after. Whilst I haven't had a gun doh before my wife and I have trained other dogs, and there are a number of well trained working sheep dogs io the family, so we're not total novices, just little knowledge of training gun dogs inparticular. But from what I have seen the basic principles are the same. My wife is quitting work once littl'un arrives so the doh will either be with me at work or with her, so attention isn't a problem.

Ian, I know what you mean, but my main reason for not going down the lab route is that they aren't natural pointers - which is what I am really after. Whilst I haven't had a gun doh before my wife and I have trained other dogs, and there are a number of well trained working sheep dogs io the family, so we're not total novices, just little knowledge of training gun dogs inparticular. But from what I have seen the basic principles are the same. My wife is quitting work once littl'un arrives so the doh will either be with me at work or with her, so attention isn't a problem.

Oly, sorry, from reading the other posts on here I came to the wrong conclusion that this was a first time dog, which it isn't.

In which case I would have a look at the German Wired haired pointer, a friend of mine has one which tracks, points and flushes. OK it's not my cup of tea but this dog works well, he said they are stubborn but with persistence and patience they normally come good.

To this day I have never seen a good Visla, I'm sure there are some out there some where though.

Archived