What breed of dog do you use?

Oly

GSP & a Black Lab/Collie X both bitches. GSP is 21 months old & is being trained on blood trails, taking to it very well. Points up a storm especially pheasants, Lab is 4 & is a Blue Cross rescue dog used to retrieve on my shoot, she's a very good girl but buggers up the GSP's points if they are out together. ;)

Chris

Image513-1.jpgDSCN1354-1.jpg

Thanks for that guys. Chris - I do generally prefer a cross breed if I can, what with sizes of genetic gene pools etc, but often it's impossible to find the cross that your after!! Frustrating!!

Great picture of your GSP Chris. I was out stalking with mine this morning, we got two roebucks and a muntjac buck, I only got her from the GSP rescue home ten days ago! I am confident that she will become as good a deer dog as my last one that I recently lost.

get a flat coated vizsla ,myself and teach both have them ,in fact my bitch came from him,great with kids,very bright ,dont shed hair(keeps the "her indoors" happy ,not eating machines , a very close freind of ours uses 3 on the peg! awsome!

Is that a cross breed? Can't find anything specifically on 'flat coated vizsla'...or do you mean just a normal vizsla (like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Vizsla)?

Hi i have 3 labs all bred by myself with 1 of big yellow dog a yellow bitch & a black bitch which points like the mother that i no longer have shes dead. I also have a black cocker dog & had a patterdale bitch but sold her due to lack of work for her & me. Here is a pic of my lab in the Angus Glens on point at grouse.

Picture1414.jpg

Picture1415.jpg

Here is the others this is my old dog who is 12yrs in a few months at the geese with me.

Picture2140.jpg

This is my cocker with my old dogs daughter my yellow bitch.

Picture1910.jpg

A pic of some pups.

Picture949.jpg

My terrier when i had her.

Picture788.jpg

V-Max - so did you teach your lab to point? And is it a cross or pedigree? Thanks, Oly

Hi my first lab a black bitch a pedigree pointed when i hunted her just natural. At first i thought what the f**k is she doing & when i went up to her i then new she pointed. I had a couple litters off her which was my big yellow dog & the second i kept the black bitch in the pic on the moor now 9yrs old & she dose as her mother did & pointed naturally when hunting. All my dogs are KC reg & i work my labs in a beating line etc so they work/hunt/flush like a spaniel.

Sounds like you have a bit of a special set of labs there mate! From what I can find on the web there only seems to be guys in the USA with pointing Labs, and they have done a lot of breeding to get there. Let of know if your planning a little in 12 months time.

A friend of ours have a pair of them. To be honest there a pain in the ar5e, they are very vocal dogs and when we go around for an evening there constant whining wears thin quite quickly, it may just be there particular dogs but dam its annoying.

Cheers

Dave

It is very dangerous to generalize. I have two short haired Vizlas and have bred them twice resulting in 19 excellent puppies. Without exception all of their owners are over the moon with them (a mixture of working and pet animals) including two members of the forum who may wish to add their opinions. The most common compliment we recieve is how quiet and calm our dogs are and in contrast with many HPR breeds they mature very early and are relatively sensible at 1 year old (this is common across both litters). Compare this with most Springers and Labs who often take a lot longer. So don't discount a Vizsla two rapidly.

Teach

It is very dangerous to generalize.

Teach

I speak as I find mate!

Our friends dogs are a pain, if you had read my post first more carefully before quoting you would see I said it may be down to their individual dogs!

Dave

I speak as I find mate!

So do I hence my post. The point was not to have a go at you 6mmBR. It was to state that people often make general assumptions about a dogs character based on just its breed, therefore when someone answers the question "What breed of dog do you use?" starting a post by negatively highlighting one type of breed is generalization. There are many awards won by Vizslas in the field especially considering they are a relative minority breed. Therefore they have a proven track record in the field hence my comment "So don't discount a Vizsla two rapidly."

Archived