Storage of Primers

Popsbengo

Had an interesting question raised by a club mate.  "How many primers can I have at home ?"  I didn't know until I'd done some research today.

According to Explosive Regs 2014 we can hold 300g of primer explosive,  that's 4,630 grains.  Industry recommendation is 0.8gr explosive per primer so a holding of 5,750 primers would approximately come to Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) limits allowable for a home-loader to keep. 

And 15Kg of made-up ammunition NEQ plus 15Kg of smokeless powder (less any primers NEQ).   

Of course there won't be any folks nudging those limits without first holding an explosives ticket for the appropriate hazard...

Happy to be corrected if there's anyone with more knowledge willing to chip in.

Where did you find the reference to 300g of primer explosive?

Sect 7 covers quantities you can hold without a storage licence.

This just says 15KG of Ammo & Primers combined.

Authorisation to store explosives

7.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person may store explosives unless that person holds a licence for their storage and complies with the conditions of that licence.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)the storage of one or more of the following—

(i)no more than 10 kilograms of shooters’ powder;

(ii)no more than 5 kilograms of—

(aa)shooters’ powder; or

(bb)any hazard type 3 or 4 explosive, or desensitised explosive, which is not a relevant explosive, or a combination of hazard type 3 or 4 explosives, or desensitised explosives, which are not relevant explosives; or

(cc)a combination of shooters’ powder and any hazard type 3 or 4 explosives, or desensitised explosives, which are not relevant explosives;

(iii)no more than 15 kilograms of percussion caps or small arms ammunition or a mixture of them;   (My Bold)

4 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Where did you find the reference to 300g of primer explosive?

Sect 7 covers quantities you can hold without a storage licence.

This just says 15KG of Ammo & Primers combined.

Authorisation to store explosives

7.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person may store explosives unless that person holds a licence for their storage and complies with the conditions of that licence.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)the storage of one or more of the following—

(i)no more than 10 kilograms of shooters’ powder;

(ii)no more than 5 kilograms of—

(aa)shooters’ powder; or

(bb)any hazard type 3 or 4 explosive, or desensitised explosive, which is not a relevant explosive, or a combination of hazard type 3 or 4 explosives, or desensitised explosives, which are not relevant explosives; or

(cc)a combination of shooters’ powder and any hazard type 3 or 4 explosives, or desensitised explosives, which are not relevant explosives;

(iii)no more than 15 kilograms of percussion caps or small arms ammunition or a mixture of them;   (My Bold)

It's in the code of practice document produced by the various shooting organisations and HSE.  "Explosives Rev2" on the HSE website

Just now, Roy W said:

Well that's conflicting then

Maybe, I report what's in.

Guidance for Firearms Users and

Associated Trades.

ISSUE 1

January 2020

I may have interpreted incorrectly, however, NRA Handloading training notes also mention 300g of percussion caps as part of the 15Kg NEQ. (Lesson 1 Slide 7)

I'd be happy to be corrected as I agree the wording seems to conflict as you say.

7 hours ago, Roy W said:

Then those quantities apply only to Separation distances. i.e. Separation distances don't apply until you exceed those limits.

The total 15KG is the quantity you can hold without a licence.

I agree that seems to be the correct interpretation but the NRA training still refers to 300g of primers.  I guess until it's tested in the courts it will remain a matter of opinion.

Having looked into this subject further and discussing with some knowledgable people it would seem this whole NRA "300g primers" is not founded on solid ground - as Roy W suggested above