Talk to me about 6mm GT

Fancy something new for steels and also possibly PRS next year. 

Had a brief flirt with the 6 creed but over all didn’t give me enough “less” than the 6.5

Looking at other sixes and the GT seems good mix of speed / recoil / mag feed reliability albeit the new kid on the block,  looks like brass is a pain to find but hopefully with improve with hornady making factory ammo. 

looks like it was built for Varget so bit stuffed there, might work with N140 or maybe Tac (which I have a load of) 

Anyone shooting them? 
Anyone making them? 

I’ve edited my faux pas 🤣

I am definitely not in the high skill level, but if I’m going to get something built then I might as well get make the most of it and get the right thing. 

6mm creed was not it, poor decision due to lack of due diligence, hence why I am here 

dasher is second on the list, seems like GT just pips it in most respects especially regarding feeding reliability, if the yank forums are to be believed. 

1 hour ago, Adamdavi3s said:

Fancy something new for steels and also possibly PRS next year. 

Had a brief flirt with the 6 creed but over all didn’t give me enough “less” than the 6.5

Looking at other sixes and the GT seems good mix of speed / recoil / mag feed reliability albeit the new kid on the block,  looks like brass is a pain to find but hopefully with improve with hornady making factory ammo. 

looks like it was built for Varget so bit stuffed there, might work with N140 or maybe Tac (which I have a load of) 

Anyone shooting them? 
Anyone making them? 

You didn’t really say what issue you had with the 6CM. You should be careful your not chasing the goose that lays the golden egg, as unless you go for the lower volume 6’s the 6GT will still eat barrels. I don’t think the 6CM over the 6GT cartridge will give any noticeable benefit in accuracy or recoil. what about the 6dasher? Obviously with a mag kit. Or 6.5CM with something like the strike with warning tuner break? Just be cautious chasing the perfect cartridge and make sure you can source brass. This is just my 10p worth, hope it gives you some thoughts.

So the 6cm wasn’t enough reduction in recoil or powder use compared to the 6.5 I already have. That’s great at sending 147s to 1250 just lovely. 

Not really chasing the golden goose just fancy something in 6mm and seeing as most (outside the 6cm) will be a custom order, I may as well get the best. 

My understanding  is the GT is a fair bit less of a barrel burner than some of the others but as I said and you reiterated, brass might be a pain.

but this is why I am here, to get peoples thoughts 👍

3 hours ago, Timbo1963 said:

as unless you go for the lower volume 6’s the 6GT will still eat barrels.

The GT's case capacity is much closer to that of the 6Dasher than the Creedmoor. I don't know what Hornady and Alpha production cases have ended up as, with pre production examples holding c.45gn water and reformed Lapua 6.5X47mm 43.4gn. George Gardiner of GAP and Alpha were looking to make production brass with the lower capacity value and a beefed-up case-head and web area. 6 Dasher is c.41gn and 6 Creedmoor c.51gn. So the 'Gay Tiger' will have a longer barrel life and significantly reduced recoil over the Creedmoor all other things being equal. The 6-6.5X47L wildcat lies between the GT and Creedmoor in this respect.

The GT reportedly shoots very well, and also reportedly fulfils the prime objective of feeding 100% reliably from standard unmodified 308 magazines. With factory adoption, it should be a winner against the Dasher were the latter still in the position of being a wildcat that needed reforming and fire or hydro forming in the chamber. But, with good factory Dasher brass now (sometimes) available and 'fixes' to cure its onetime magazine feed issues, the GT benefits may no longer apply.

Should Hornady's winning streak with introductions continue, the GT will almost certainly come out as the cheaper, easier option. But with the current turmoil in the US ammunition and components supply chain, who knows? Ironically, one of the BR/Dasher/6.5X47 etc 'pluses', (strong and efficient small primer brass) has been working against them with the acute shortage of Small Rifle primers in the USA, and the ludicrous prices some suppliers of the few around have demanded. The Creedmoors, 260 Rem etc with the option of Large Primer brass have had a significant advantage as a result which may or may not prove to be temporary.

I've been attracted to the GT too, but I'd wait to see how the brass supply options and availability work out before spending serious money on a new build, or even a rebarrel. Also, nobody knows just how any newcomer will work out in competition terms until it's been around a while and the 'serious players' in any discipline have adopted (or rejected) it. How flexible is it in handloading recipes? With today's (and I'm  100% sure not at all short-lived) powder shortages and massive price hikes for some grades, a wide and tolerant appetite is a huge advantage. 15 or so years ago, the 6-6.6X47L wildcat was going to be the next big thing and there were prophesies it'd overtake the parent 6.5mm version. It didn't for various reasons. That story is repeated again and again. (6.5X47L itself was developed by Lapua to supplant the 6BR Norma in 300M ISSF 3-position shooting, and was a flop in this role in real life!) 

6 hours ago, Adamdavi3s said:

There are plenty of REACH-compliant alternatives to VarGet. I've tested some eight or nine for Target Shooter Online over the last couple of years with the results available free. With the GT's capacity to bore ratio value, Viht N150/550 will likely work very well, possibly N140/540 too.

If you want a 6mm just use Xc 

Or simply shoot a 6.5 mm and enjoy the comps for what they are 

Thanks but the xc is too similar to the creed. 

I did shoot bits of  a comp with the 6.5 and it performed admirably, other than the fact some tosser sold me a load of knackered brass which stuffed things up somewhat. I’d happily shoot more with the 6.5 but fancy a new toy and a 6 

6GT is so similar to a 6x47 my American buddy uses the same charge weight and doesn’t adjust his seating die between the two. 

If you want to have the most for the least recoil then a BR based cartridge is where it’s at. Brass is relatively simple to get and to form into improved versions. Feeding is no problem with the correct mags and a decent chassis with an adjustable mag catch.

9 minutes ago, Charlts said:

6GT is so similar to a 6x47 my American buddy uses the same charge weight and doesn’t adjust his seating die between the two. 

This is something I didn’t know thank you! 

Have also discovered the MDT BR mags which seem to be well received 

3 hours ago, Adamdavi3s said:

Thanks but the xc is too similar to the creed. 

with the exception that it’s extremely accurate , very easy to load for and has minimal recoil - just like any other 6