KG Gun Kote

auquhollie

Dont waste your money mate.

We used it in the shop, under strictly controlled conditions, eg the work was correctly degreased and shotblasted. The paint applied as per instruction, and baked in a huge, very technical oven we have for the job.

The paint is nowhere near as hardwearing as duracoat, and comes off points of high wear.

The few guns we did in it, have had to be redone.

the paint as supplied to the trade in this country, comes pre-thinned, and its way too thin. To all intents and purposes, its basically cellulose paint with molybdenum added.

I spent over 15 years custom painting scooters and bikes as a hobby, and i can tell you, the paint is too thin. Half a litre to get a decent covering on a barrelled action ? Thats at least 4 times too much.

Get some duracoat.

The carbon remover is very good. I only tried the copper remover once, and i suspect i had a bottle that had "gone off". It didn,t work at all. However, other people report good copper removal with it, so its got to be worth a go. If i wasn,t happy with what i use now, i would give it another go.

I have done a few tests with KG 12 copper remover. I put some shooterschoice\Kroil in an egg cup and some KG12 in an other. I then placed one v max in each cup and came back 30 mins later. The results spoke for themself. The KG12 has stripped copper off the bullet were as the shooters choice had tainted the shine on its bullet. Im not going back to shooters choice. KG is not ammonia based either.

KG Gun cote,

Baldie, The KG is for my 243AI action. Remember the one that was all green and ugly :D . Well from day one (after 1 month cure time as i was offshore) it has scratched and chipped no end. The barrel has chipped and flaked away, the action is all flaking away!!!!!. In my opinion and it is only my opinion Duracoat is shite or atleast the job done on mine was shite one or the other.

The rifle has now been blasted back to the metal and im looking for a product just for the action. The rest is staying stainless.

Ads

Ads, that sounds more like something went wrong in the process.

My rifle is done with "Cera coat" , don't know who makes it. It is really

hard wearing, one or two scratches fom when the rifle went down the hill, that's it.

Americans seem to also like it.

edi

Ads, that sounds more like something went wrong in the process.

My rifle is done with "Cera coat" , don't know who makes it. It is really

hard wearing, one or two scratches fom when the rifle went down the hill, that's it.

Americans seem to also like it.

edi

TBH i think you are right but im reluctant to spend more cash to find out, you know what i mean ?. Im just after the action painted silver and thats it. Ill look up the cer coat.

Ads

Ads, i used Durabake on my Borden action with excellent results, its made by the same people as Duracoat but it is oven cure, ie you dont need to add a catalyst you just spray it on with an airbrush let it dry and bake it gas mark 3 for half an hour.

Ask Chris he has used it as well.

The only problem is that it is not a thin coating so if you have a close fitting bolt, you will have to mask off the internals of the action otherwise the build up will stop your bolt moving freely.

Ian.

That might be a good option as well. I am kean to try it myself and have the barrel off of the action just now. It is a new bolt fitted and it is a tight fit so would need to mask off inside the action. Is it just the race ways that you would mask off?

Ads

+1 for Durabake.

I've done 2 rifles with it now, the only downside is havin to wait for the wife to go out so I can use the oven :D

It doesn't actually smell that bad. I used Ceramakote a while back and it stank the house out.

TC

Ads, if the duracoat is coming off in lumps, flakes or whatever, it hasn,t been applied properly, and it wasn,t prepared properly. Take it back to whoever did it. Duracoat, when applied correctly, doesn,t do this.Infact, to remove it, it usually needs blasting off.

The stuff Ian is on about, is good, but i dont know where you would get it now, as midway no longer sell it, due to hazmat shipping.

midway no longer sell it, due to hazmat shipping.

That's a bugger, I bought some a few months back and just gave a tin away thinking I could get more :D

i think KAL does the durabake, well ive mailed him to see if he does.

Dave,

Your right i should go back to the shop that duracoated my rifle in the first place but ive since blasted all his work off so have lost the evidence. I think on reading up a little im going to try the durabake.

Ads

i think KAL does the durabake, well ive mailed him to see if he does.

Dave,

Your right i should go back to the shop that duracoated my rifle in the first place but ive since blasted all his work off so have lost the evidence. I think on reading up a little im going to try the durabake.

Ads

Ads

The reason Duracoat has come off isnt down to the product, it is down to the aplication im afraid. Ive done 100s of jobs using it and its very good, but you need to know what youre doing with it.

I use both standard Duracoat, Durabake and Ceracote all work very well.

Sorry to hear you had problems, if I can help out I will.

Kal

Your right it was down to the shoddy work that was done. Not mentioning any names he painted inside the action and some of the chamber then went on to paint the mod erator threads and the crown !!!!! Who the ###### paints a crown ??. Well decided to durabake the action myself, that way ive only myself to blame. :D

Ads

Your right it was down to the shoddy work that was done. Not mentioning any names he painted inside the action and some of the chamber then went on to paint the mod erator threads and the crown !!!!! Who the ###### paints a crown ??. Well decided to durabake the action myself, that way ive only myself to blame. :D

Ads

Ads

You can only get Durabake in minimum 2oz bottles and they only do Stainless and Pewter in colour. Which action is it you want coated?

Kal

Archived