Scope Recommendations in the £350-£450 range.

Stortford

Hello!

So I've decided on the .223 I'm eventually going to get (Tikka T3x Super Varmint Caracole) but I'm on the fence about which scope to pair with it.

I've had my eye on the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50, but have recently come across the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50. (links to both of these below)

The Athlon is substantially cheaper than the Vortex, but it seems to have less quality glass (especially at 24x), features seem to be about the same, the Athlon has a zero stop and much larger tactical turrets. I've heard people say "buy the best you can afford", but if there isn't much difference then saying the money would be a massive plus.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these scopes? Or better yet, both of these scopes? Or, does anyone have any better recommendations? 

Look forward to your replies!

For context, ill only be target shooting anywhere from 100-600m.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/athlon-argos-btr-gen2-6-24x50-ffp-aplr2-moa-ir-rifle-scope

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vortex-diamondback-tactical-6-24x50-ffp-ebr-2c-mrad-non-ir-rifle-scope

9 minutes ago, Stortford said:

Are you looking for a new scope, or would you consider 2nd hand? FFP or SFP? If it’s for the range you won’t be wanting illumination. 
If it’s glass quality and repeatability you’re looking for, I have an S3 SFP, I would sell for £400. Best bang for buck you’ll find. 

11 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

Are you looking for a new scope, or would you consider 2nd hand? FFP or SFP? If it’s for the range you won’t be wanting illumination. 
If it’s glass quality and repeatability you’re looking for, I have an S3 SFP, I would sell for £400. Best bang for buck you’ll find. 

Either new or used, used would be a bit nicer to save. Ideally would like FFP

56 minutes ago, Stortford said:

Either new or used, used would be a bit nicer to save. Ideally would like FFP

I also have a Rudolph 6-24, which is a rebranded Sightron S3, with a turret upgrade. It’s FFP and on my rimfire at the moment, would sell for £400, also. 
Model T1 T6 MOA reticle with fine centre dot and 1/4 MOA turrets, comes in a lovely wooden box. Really is a bargain at £400, especially with the upgraded turrets. 

45 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

I haven’t used the 56 Diamond back, but I do have the FFP  4-16x44 on my .223 Tikka Tac. Certainly out to 600yds at Bisley it’s superb, and with the no questions warranty I don’t think you can buy better.

This is the exact use case ill be using for mine as well! Hopefully can find a decent deal on one of them 

1 hour ago, Stortford said:

This is the exact use case ill be using for mine as well! Hopefully can find a decent deal on one of them 

I’d have no issues buying a used, the warranty really is superb. As long as you don’t deliberately damage, and it’s performance affecting, they’ll repair or replace.

• 4 months later...

Try Fox Firearms UK, based at Diggle range (Fox Firearms UK).

Look at their 8x32x56 scope. I purchased one of these while waiting for my S&B to arrive a few years ago. Used the Fox's scope to shoot out to 900yards and someone at the club uses the same scope to shoot out to 1000 yards. In my opinion for the price (paid £125 for mine but that was a while ago). I keep mine as a spare.

This is an article by Vince Bottomley using the Fox's scope when mounted on my AI as a comparison against two more expensive scopes.

The Leupold VX-6  7-42 CDS Riflescope | Target Shooter Magazine

13 hours ago, Stortford said:

Interesting, what magnification were you using it at when you noticed that? 

My bad, just re-read your post and you mentioned the 6-24x50 Argos. I have the 10-40x56 and anything over 25x is difficult to get a sight picture. Selling it for that reason.

• 2 months later...