Budget Long Range .22LR Scope

JDT

I’m wanting to get into longer range rimfire shooting so I’m on the hunt for a budget(-ish, by long range FFP standards) £1000 or less scope to stick on my Tikka T1X. So far I’m looking at either of these 2:

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vortex-strike-eagle-5-25x56-ffp-illuminated-ebr-7c-mrad-sf-rifle-scope
https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/frontier-30-ffp-5-25x56-mil-pro.html

The vortex I’ve had a look down a couple before and liked the picture, the Hawke I’ve no experience of.

Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of other options at £1000 or less for this before I pull the trigger (pun absolutely intended) on one of these? Requirements would be minimum 25x at the high end and FFP. Please no second hand suggestions, I’m ‘one of those’ who likes his stuff taken care of from new, and yes I’m aware of the potential drawbacks of this.

Hawke are fine  sold lots had a couple back under warranty  but all dealt with fast (about 10 day turn around )

Vortex  good but wondering how much you pay for the name/warranty .

Riton 3x24 x56 seem good value at just over £500  sold around a dozen with no returns 

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to try and look down the Hawke in question then and look at the Riton too.

JDT

if you are looking for a long range 22rf scope both of those scopes listed will get you to 300 yards (with internal adjustments available of 31. & 19 mil respectively) but the Hawke will not do 500 and the Vortex would take all of its travel to reach 500 with the higher velocity 22rf ammo e.g. R100. - which is a big ask of any scope.

Caveat I’m assuming you would also want to use your rifle at normal distances as well, say 50 yard/m etc.

You can use the ret. to give you more distance though?

Brgds T

Thanks for the reply. Well noted! I did spot that too and yes I would also like to use it at normal ranges as well. Just couldn’t seem to find many other options in the price range with more travel.

Would you have any suggestions? Or even ones just slightly higher then the £1K budget?

I am also perfectly happy using the reticle markings themselves to stretch it a little further as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

Very tempted by this which has just gone on sale, although it’s still only the same elevation adjustment as the strike eagle (110 MOA):

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/meopta-meopro-optika-6-5-30x56-ffp-mrad-rd-rifle-scope?mc_cid=bc0eb0c318&mc_eid=fe47906676

As a different approach, and the way I went to remove this potential problem, how about using and adjustable base? 

I installed an EraTac adjustable base which gives me an additional 70 moa in 10 moa steps over the scopes adjustment. This is in turn mounted on the 40 moa integral rail on the action. The EraTac is very repeatable in adjustments both up and down and not too bulky compared to say an Ivey micrometer adjustable mount .

Just depend how serious you want to get?

Brgds Terry 

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/meopta-meopro-optika-6-5-30x56-ffp-mrad-rd-rifle-scope?mc_cid=bc0eb0c318&mc_eid=fe47906676   

I also like the look of this one, and had a look through one a couple of weeks ago, but a few things make me hesitate. 

1) There are no rotational indicator marks. 
2) It states it will parallax down to 25y, but I occasionally shoot 20m and I also assume it would be even worse at the highest magnification. 
3) A 10 year warranty.

8 hours ago, Ballistol said:

I also like the look of this one, and had a look through one a couple of weeks ago, but a few things make me hesitate. 

1) There are no rotational indicator marks. 
2) It states it will parallax down to 25y, but I occasionally shoot 20m and I also assume it would be even worse at the highest magnification. 
3) A 10 year warranty.

The close focus can easy be sorted by simply adding a reduced diameter ‘hole’ iPod the objective lens, quite a few companies provide this item and at close distance does not effect the light gathering.

re. your concern about 10 year warranty, going off at a tangent, I see this a lot re scopes as a make or break item in decisions. Admittedly it’s ‘nice’ but I do not see the same thing reflected ( no pun) in people decisions when buying a car at 30-40 times the price of a scope and also your life depends on it. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently own 3 strike eagle scopes I am using out to thousand yards I find picture great ,elevation 110moa turret plus 35moa on reticle personally for the price I rate them .