7mm-08 Remington Rifle Recommedations

I shall be putting my variation in this week for a 7mm-08 Remington and if all goes well in a couple months I'll be looking at getting the rifle.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a make & model?

It'll be mainly used for ultra long range sniping at bunnies and corvids along with an occasional deer stalk.

Any suggestions on rifle brands?

Darren

I shall be putting my variation in this week for a 7mm-08 Remington and if all goes well in a couple months I'll be looking at getting the rifle.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a make & model?

It'll be mainly used for ultra long range sniping at bunnies and corvids along with an occasional deer stalk.

Any suggestions on rifle brands?

Darren

Darren, that's a lot of rifle for bunnies and corvids :) If you shoot rabbits with it there won't be a lot to pick up, but it saves bending your back to pick them up I suppose. Great calibre, I shot one last week and it does not kick much more than my 6.5x55. It was a mannlicher half stock with very pretty wood and had a PES Scout fitted. They say it is the modern 7x57. No better recommendation needed. Good luck finding a nice second hand one though.

ft

I Think kal has rebarrelled a howa 1500 in 7mm-08 recently

Nice one on guntrader.co.uk, Sako 7mm-08 M591 Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H), £495.

atb, ft

As an avid 7-08 supporter and user please note that for real long range varminting you will struggle with the high B.C bullets because these are in the 180gr class. The 7-08 works best 120-150gr. I'll never need another rifle for uk deer :) But the 180gr are a tad too long.

As for rabbits, they do tend to be ready skinned and minced lol

I would also look at the 6.5x47, this is what alot of shooters are now moving towards and I am aware of the round being used for paper punching and deer. You will have the advantage of the high B.C bullets and laupau brass. And a lot of folks on here run it, so load information for long rang shooting will be readily available. (I mention this becuase you haven't put in for the variation yet)

You really need to decide if you will use the rifle to stalk because the best option would be a heavy rifle for static varminting. I wouldn't fancy stalking too far with a varminting rifle. However if it''s just lugging it to a high seat it shouldn't be too bad.

If I had the cash I think I would look at an RPA or a custom action with a walther 1450 barrel at 28 inches.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

regards

Dave

Thank you very very much for all your replies chaps.

As for bunny bashing, shouldn't be a problem as my mates have got 308's for Deer, Fox & vermin....

What sort of price can I expect to repay for a rebarrel? Just wondering on very approximate costs....

I shall also look into the 6.5x47.

Thanks again chaps,

Darren

Has it got to be easily portable?

What sort of style: black 'n' nasty, classically woody, somewhere in between?

Trickiest question - Budget?

I thought I might go for a little black number rather than the classic wood. I've got a walnut stocked rifle, a laminate rifle and I thought a black stock might be nice for a change.

Easily portable isn't so much of any issue.

As for bunny bashing, shouldn't be a problem as my mates have got 308's for Deer, Fox & vermin....

What sort of price can I expect to repay for a rebarrel? Just wondering on very approximate costs....

Thanks again chaps,

Darren

Try this site for some idea;

http://www.border-barrels.com/archer.htm

ft

Thanks again chaps,

Darren

Hi Darren

always used to be around the £550 mark or there abouts ish!

give Neil aka dasherman a PM hes the chap who built my AI & is very keenly priced:-)?very good!

he may have a suitable action kicking around too:-P

cheers Andy

Hi Darren

always used to be around the £550 mark or there abouts ish!

give Neil aka dasherman a PM hes the chap who built my AI & is very keenly priced:-)?very good!

he may have a suitable action kicking around too:-P

cheers Andy

Cheers Andy.

Darren

As Dave (ScEgg) said, I'd def look at the 6.5x47.

My main red gun is a 7-08 and it's great for that but I feel definite overkill for varmints.

After having used it, the Lapua round is def up to it for deer, esp with 120 TTSXs, and it's seriously accurate.

cheers

Chris-NZ

Might be worth checking on the vermin bit as I have rabbits etc on my 308 but a shooting buddy 5 miles down the road was denied it on his 308 on renewal :mad:

The difference between north and west yorkshire ;)

As Dave (ScEgg) said, I'd def look at the 6.5x47.

My main red gun is a 7-08 and it's great for that but I feel definite overkill for varmints.

After having used it, the Lapua round is def up to it for deer, esp with 120 TTSXs, and it's seriously accurate.

cheers

Chris-NZ

To be fair, the main purpose of the rifle is for deer stalking.

Although, after seeing the posts on here, especially the +500 yard ranges, I thought to myself - I want some of that!

remmy.jpg

remmy model 7 in 7mm08.

my only advice would be to go for a rifle with a full length barrel. mine has an 18 inch barrel. I don't have a chrono but using published and quickload data the longer barrel performs very much better. Ie 145gr bullets with re19 from a 24 inch barrel shows a tad under 3000fps but with my stubby little 18 incher produces 2600 (ish) and a huge muzzle flash.

but for real world stalking it is an excellant rifle. if i go foxing i use it aswell. i subscribe to the "one load for all applications" the 120's are wieghty enough for anything i want to shoot and are flat enough to reach for charlie. he is just as dead if i use a prohunter or a vmax on him.

I use sierra 120 gr prohunter with N140 or speer 130 gr spitzer. the faster powder gives less of a flash and quicload says it burns much more %. It is my go to rifle. Very accurate. ace round that kills like lightning. I like remmies.

I think the 700 sps or sps stainless are great rifles. If i was buying the model 7 again i would buy a 700 sps stainless.

swampy

Archived