Powder measures????

craigyboy

How do you boys rate powder measures? I have always been loading on the scales as I have only been loading small batches, but on Friday evening I needed to load up a pile for the range so decided to take the time and set up my RCBS Uniflow measure and speed things up, before I loaded any I checked for consistency and wasnt impressed with what I was getting, normal variations were up to about 0.3 grains which to me is a lot but at one extreme they were 0.7 g out, didnt seem to matter how consistent I was with my method of working the handle there was always a bit in it, I also made sure to clean it out before I started using it and wiped all the insides with a anti static cloth, I eneded up setting it up light and transferring it into the scales for the final grain or so. Do any of you guys use powder measures?

Hi buddy as for powder measuring it depends on the density of the powder , as in ball powder , it flows lovely with consistent readings , i have the same with viht 133 when loading for the 6ppc .

When i load for the 6.5-284 i use hodgdon H4831SC which is like coal nuggets , so i trickle up with powder trickler into my balance beam scales!!

I always , don't matter what i load for , measure each and every charge and trickle up to load!!!!!

I use a HARREL POWDER MEASURE - excellent piece of kit and well worth the money ;) ;)

All the best...............

RAY................ :D;)

Guest varmartin

The bench rest boys in the states and here usually dump straight from the measure into the case ( if its 100 yards or so )

they figure very small load variations can not be noticed on the card !! ( what those boys say may as well come from God himself )

Most use a Harrell measure ( expensive but accurate..as with most things)

I for one always dump from the measure into the scale pan then trickle the load up to make the weight.

I use an RCBS with micrometer adjuster. I can get within a few kernels of powder with it if a good technique is adopted.

If you trickle up your load every time and keep your eye level when viewing the pointer on the scales, then that is as close as you can get IMHO.

Martin

I have 3 various Uniflows on my loading bench, each being set-up slightly under charge for a different rifle and different powder type and charge.

Some powders meter more accurately than others, the larger coarse -grained powders being the worst usually.

I normally dump the charge and then trickle until the correct weight is on the scale.

Up to 300 yards, using a harrell, you wont notice the difference, and most br shooters dump straight to case, but then most will weigh for ranges past that.I dont weigh charges anymore, i use the harrel for the lot...223, 6mmbr, .308, .204 and .44 magnum, and i,ve never noticed any difference with a thrown charge, and a weighed one, but you must use a harrel, the cheaper ones arent as accurate.

I must give another vote for the Harrell, for practice and range .223 and .308 I just dump the charge.

I find the Harrell pretty good at holding the correct charge.

For my BR and comp and long range ammo I will trickle up or use the Lyman 1200DPS.

Cheers

Dave

I have three Dillon quick change tool heads, each with its own powder measure.

I throw a load a couple of grains light and trickle up on the beam scale - that way every load id exactly te same - ES on most if not all my rifles in in single figures.

Takes a little extra time but worth the effort if you want consistancy, which = accuracy.

Might be tempted by a Harrell one day, but I would still throw light and traickle up - so I don't see the point unless I get flush!

Like baldie i dump everything from a Harrel powder measure, i only weigh a charge when i am setting up the measure and every tenth charge to make sure that it is still throwing consistantly.

Once the powder is settled in the measure and you use the same handle technique each time you dump a charge the Harrell is 1/10 repeatable every time.

I have owned and used measures by all the major makers except Lee, and can honestly say that the Redding BR series are as accurate as the Harrell but now where near as well made and as nice to use.

Ian.

Another vote for Harrell but I am only just starting to drop straight into the cases, normally I throw slightly light and trickle up using N133 usually. Find the harrell usually throws to within +/- .1 grain, probably good enough for the ranges I shoot at.

A

I find with the Harrell if you keep the powder bottle half full and above you get very consistent charges, it seems to keep a more even pressure on the powder entering the charge chamber.

Its also so much quicker.

Cheers

Dave

I find with the Harrell if you keep the powder bottle half full and above you get very consistent charges, it seems to keep a more even pressure on the powder entering the charge chamber.

Its also so much quicker.

Cheers

Dave

Thats a good trick that I will have to try, as I only load in batches of 20 or sometimes 30 I just put about 30mm or so of powder in the bottle. I use the biggest Harrell.

A

I use a harrel too and agree with 6mmbr that if your bottle is more than half full you get more consistency. Neil Jones measure are also excellent,im sure i seen one in the for sale section a week or two ago.

I use a Harrell. If I am using N133 for my 223 I just drop it straight into the cases as it is well within 1/10 grain.

If I use N140 or N160 I now throw a charge just under and trickle up to my required weight. That said , when just throwing charges of N140 or N160, even though it is not as accurate and does chop the grains it doesn't seem to affect accuracy but it does show a smaller ES on the chronograph.

I did read somewhere that although powder weight is very important , powder volume is also, and dependant on various factors such as relative humidity etc weight/volume does not always increase/decrease at the same rate. Does this make sense :)

If you think 99% of factory ammo is loaded by volume and not trickled up to weight. You have some awesomely accurate ammo, look at Lapua for instance.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Don't you guys with Harrells..use a powder baffle like I have in my RCBS??

It takes most of the weight of the powder and so providing consistency through varying powder levels.

You know that inverted Taco shell with the slots cut in it thingy ??

Martin

All so much Joo Joo to me lads.

£10 nasty plastic lee unit, rcbs 505 scales and a redding trickler... same results, how much did you pay for that Harrell??

SD variation 14fps over ziatsevs chrono

lt's go to be in the trickle..... Hey Stagg you're on the same pills aren't you!!??? :D

Ratwhiskers.

I have quit weighing individual charges. You will never see a bench rest shooter do it; they toss by volume, right into the case. I used to weigh every charge but found that my results didn't warrant it. If, on the other hand, I was weighing charges to sneak up in maximum pressures (as in my 5mm Remington Magnum CF conversion) then doing so was obligatory. I found that I quit shooting the guns that require weighing charges: Too much work.

I do use an exceptionally good powder measure in the form of a Belding and Mull with a micrometer drop tube. It will stand against any for repeatable accuracy. I use a Ohaus "Dial-o Grain" beam scale for checking weights. ~Andrew

Archived