Eye Surgery/ Replacement Lenses. My Experience

ds1

This may be of interest to some. 

I have always required contact lenses so as my eyes have aged and with the onset of cataracts I decided after consulting my optician to go to the the Gemini eye centre ( Czech Republic). I received thorough high-tech examinations and very professional service. They end up with a computer model of your eyes with multiple overlays of data and issues (the examination is paid for in my case by the NI). I was given the results and they went through the pros and cons of each option. My astigmatism creates some issues but best solution for me was Toric multi focal implant lenses. The natural lenses are removed ( I think) and the implants  are then inserted- restoring near, middle, distance sight and getting rid of cataracts. This is the least invasive method as it avoids the need any further laser treatment. Naturally it’s the most expensive (£2500, for both eyes). This includes an aftercare visit.

The lenses need to be custom ordered / made for my prescription so it took a few weeks and I needed to go back again for the operation. 

Other methods would have involved having a more standard lens implanted and using laser to shape the eye ( remove the astigmatism) but this is a more invasive procedure requiring 2 operations.

I’m going to go for the best option of course. It’s impressive how they can model your eye, show you the modelling, explain in laypersons terms your individual issues and let you make a decision without pressure - they wanted me to think about it for a few days but it seems very clear to me, so decision made.

I delayed the operation for 6 months - when I had the required free time for recovery. I had my eyes operated on this week. Surprisingly I didn’t feel any pain just pressure during the operation (takes about 5 minutes per eye). White light used during the operation was unpleasant though. I was able to see immediately after the operation but blurry. The day after my eyesight was much better than it was when I was wearing contact lenses - not surprising as it also gets rid of any cataract issues. I have much better short and long vision than I can remember ever having. Hopefully as my eyes heal there should be a little more improvement. I should be able to drive after a week  but lifting 10kg or more, sports, and swimming I can only do after a month. Also you need to wear sun glasses for a month when outdoors to avoid dust entering the eyes. Medication is antibiotic eye drops and other eye drops and a local check-up within 3-5 days.

All in all very professional service ( they speak English) - they re-measured / checked  my eyes on the day of the operation as it had been 6 months from my previous visit plus a full pre-op consultation. 

I opted for laser rather than ultrasound for the operating technique - it cost £300 more but I want the best where my eyes are concerned. The lenses etc came to about £2500 so around £2800 in total. I’m very happy with that. The examination may not have been included in the price - paid for by the Czech  NHS I think as I live there.

All in all for anyone considering such a procedure I had a very positive experience and would recommend the Gemini Eye Clinic, Zlin, Czech Republic. 

Air travel apparently is possible after the operation but I would recommend a short stay in Cz after the operation and to get the 3-5 day check- up done here.

CD9C6AAA-D96A-4679-8539-F96A1EDD90D3.thumb.jpeg.005b70991a8c7e250d139abe5a1e6364.jpeg

Don’t think that I am shooting for a month…..but I have a new JP 224 Valkyrie waiting when I can :)

Don’t mention dentist……youngest went there today (again) and refused to open her gob (again)……..the joy of kids.

That sounds Great.

Please keep us updated, regarding after recovery period.

i had been (wrongly )told that, you will have to choose between focal lenghts.

I.e good short / bad long  or bad short / good long.  

from what youre saying it sounds like you got good short / good mid & good long. if thats the case then, massive benifits.

have a speedy recovery, all the best.....

English Rifleman, possibly the link is worth a look:

https://www.everett-hurite.com/blog/understanding-multifocal-and-toric-lens-implants

I had my first check-up today ( 3 days after operation). The optician was very pleased with the results - there were no surgical errors. On a standard eye test chart I can read the bottom line with my left eye without trying. With the right eye I can read the line above it. I know that I have never been able to read the bottom line at any other time. 

I asked why my right eye was not as sharp - it seems to be a natural limit of this eye ( possibly due to the astigmatism). They tried diopter corrections and the opticians glasses with different lenses but nothing improved it. It gives me faith in the prescription from the eye clinic…….it’s a very small difference between eyes ( like looking through a zeiss spotter compared to a bushnell ) It’s a slight sharpness and depth of field distinction being better in the left eye.

Re the vision at different distances. Multi focal implants have made a big difference over my previous contact lenses - as you say with normal contact lenses ( toric) I gained long range vision but lost detail close up - like looking at details on my watch or reading normal text on my phone. I now have with implants as good or better long distance vision plus I can read the small details on my watch or phone that I could not do before.

There is a check-up in a month after which I take it my eyes will be fully healed and settled  down.

An update after looking through some red dots and optics:

I think the way multifocal lenses work involves a series of circular focus rings within the lenses. This give rise to a few things:

Night time driving (having now just experienced it) distant cars have a halo around the head lights until around 50m away where it disappears. It’s different but not distracting.

Red dots (emitter type) I tried with C-more, Trijicon RMR and SRO, Holosun 510c, Doctor. All same result - the dot ‘bleeds’ and at higher brightness the lens rings appear. Not ideal but still very usable. You can get rid or limit the circular rings by adjusting the brightness but the dot still looks bled.

Holographic (Eotech). Better than red dots - slight just noticeable bleed and circles on 1moa centre dot . No bleeding on 30 moa circle. Brightness can be adjusted to get rid of the circles.

Scopes S&B pm2, NF ATACR, - reticle  without illumination- no issues. Reticle illuminated- no issues, no circles , no bleeding. Massive plus for me is now being able to see the turret markings again in sharp focus and not having to count the clicks.

I had mine done a couple of years ago Dave.

The halos disappeared for me after a few months, I think your brain just tunes them out.   I don’t even think about them now and I just drove 300 miles overnight. 

I find using a FFP scope a crisp reticle image can be sensitive to head position as you have, as you explained, multiple concentric lenses.   I find myself tweaking the rear ocular setting on occasion especially for ELR to get a perfect image.

I do find myself hitting the light switch earlier as my pupils don’t seem to dilate as much as I recall in dim light. 

Being able to see turrets/charts/phone/kestrel without reaching for the old man glasses outweighs any other inconvenience!

Tony 

• 1 month later...

Had the last check-up after the surgery 2 months ago. Everything has turned out excellent- both eyes have stabilised in terms of depth of field and sharpness. Definitely some of the best money that I have ever spent.

Only small downside being a halo around car headlights at night though I am noticing it less and from a shooting  perspective bleeding of red dots (not scopes or holographic sights). The fix with a red dot is to turn the intensity down and this improves the amount of perceived bleeding a lot.