LE Wilson Case Trimmer & .284 Shehane Brass

pengo

Evening all.

Does anyone here, use a LE Wilson Case Trimmer for their .284 Shehane, Lapua Brass, please?

I'm trying to find out which trimmer case holder you are using for this, as I have been told that a 6.5 x 284 trimmer case is the way forward, but this has proved to be the wrong information, as my brass won't go more than halfway through, so cannot be trimmed.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful, as the Trimmer itself is a marvellous piece of kit.

Here's hoping.......

Paul.

I don't see how a 6.5x284 or straight 284 could work as the Shehane is blown out at the shoulder so as you have found out it won't chamber.   It would need the Shehane reamer running in or a dedicated Shehane holder sourcing

That appears to be the case, but having spoken to Spud, he suggested getting it polished out on a lathe, which isn’t much use, as I don’t know anyone that could do that.

Oh well, that looks like the end of the road for that particular method….

Cheers. Paul 

There are a number of gunsmiths on here that have Shehane reamers, maybe one of them could simply do the necessary.  I have no experience with Wilson case holders so wouldn't know for sure how hard the metal they use is and whether it would FU the reamer for subsequent rifle chambers.

If it was sold as being suitable for a Shehane and isn't, simply return it.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually make the case holders by machining a block of delrin to the dimensions of the Wilson case holder then reaming the chamber area with a finish reamer 

works a treat 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, Ronin said:

I usually make the case holders by machining a block of delrin to the dimensions of the Wilson case holder then reaming the chamber area with a finish reamer 

works a treat 

Hi Ronin.

I've managed to get a case holder machined out by Spud, so that the shehane case now fits and all works fine.

Next it's onto the next stage of load development.

No problem

i only saw the thread the other day

would have been half hours work to make a case holder from delrin