Precision semi auto .22

Happy plinker

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

I really don't see why a semi-auto with a locked breech option isn't more popular. My old Voere semi-auto had this feature and was very accurate (for a semi-auto) when shot in single shot mode. It did unfortunately suffer from a lousy trigger.

To lock the breech on a .22lr could be a very simple affair, nothing more than, say a 6mm rod, and the bolt and receiver cross drilled - load your round from your single shot magazine adapter, slide in your cross pin - bang. Yes it might be slow but it could well improve accuracy.

I had a look at a fancy 10/22 with aftermarket fluted barrel recently - headspace 60 thou and really quite a sloppy chamber, I would like to have seen just how accurate it was but never had the chance.

Seems like a fudge to me

3 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Seems like a fudge to me

I'm not saying that's the way to do it but it could be as simple as flicking on a safety catch - quieter, possibly more velocity, possibly better accuracy. And when you see how much a round gets battered when stripped off some mags and then bent round a corner and slammed into the chamber, single feeding has got to be better for accuracy.

14 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I'm not saying that's the way to do it but it could be as simple as flicking on a safety catch - quieter, possibly more velocity, possibly better accuracy. And when you see how much a round gets battered when stripped off some mags and then bent round a corner and slammed into the chamber, single feeding has got to be better for accuracy.

But why bother? No advantage over a bolt action and not as good.  OK, I could see something like this as a compromise "one gun does it all" but going back to the OP, it's not now a semi-auto.  Unless I'm missing the point ??

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

I really don't see why a semi-auto with a locked breech option isn't more popular. My old Voere semi-auto had this feature and was very accurate (for a semi-auto) when shot in single shot mode. It did unfortunately suffer from a lousy trigger.

To lock the breech on a .22lr could be a very simple affair, nothing more than, say a 6mm rod, and the bolt and receiver cross drilled - load your round from your single shot magazine adapter, slide in your cross pin - bang. Yes it might be slow but it could well improve accuracy.

I had a look at a fancy 10/22 with aftermarket fluted barrel recently - headspace 60 thou and really quite a sloppy chamber, I would like to have seen just how accurate it was but never had the chance.

I also had a Voere semi auto with that feature - but in truth I never used it as a bolt action - way too fiddly to use compared to a standard bolt action - and way too much fun as a semi auto to make it worth the bother to use it as a bolt action

Cheers

Bruce