out side neck turning

1967spud

Who on the forum is outside neck turning their brass, as i have just purchased a k&m type turner and found it easy peasy. What are your thoughts on this and what else can be done to gain more accuracy.

Get a Wilson case trimmer, use it to uniform all your cases to the same length.

Use a VLD style chamfer tool, and also outside chamfer tool, wipe burs off with scotch pad.

Flash hole cutter and primer pocket uniform tool.

I partially of fully turn all my brass, depending on what calibre I am prepping for - only do it once mind!

Some of my rifles have tight neck some dont but even those that dont get a partial clean up and benefit from it.

FirstlyWith my ppc i use a K&M primer pocket uniform tool!!!

The idea behined this, is that you want to seat your primers to the same depth,,This will give you a constant ignition as the fireing pin will hit them all the same each time,,,,,

Second, i use a K&M flash hole debering tool,,,, As the flash hole is stamped and not drilled You will fined that there are some little burr,s that need removing!!!!!

third, i use a 6mm exspander to open up the case mouth,, This in the procces will iron out any dents or other imperfection in the brass!!!

If you have got a tight neck then you will have to neck turn to the size that your rifle needs so that you can chamber and fire safely Comon size for ppc is a 262 neck, most lapua brass will measure .271 and at this size it would not go in the rifle,, That is why benchrest shooters have to nexk turn,,

My 6mm ppc is a whats called a usa Oversized neck .270 so i only have to take a bit off and i amready togo???

fourth, chamfer inside and out side of the neck and polish till it is smooth as a babys bottom

Fith, seat the primer with a baldeagle hand primer,, this has got a lot of feel so that you will feel the primer hit the bottom!!!!

SIXTH fill with powder,, hand weighed on a good scale,, no digital scales???

Now this is the best part,, I use a willson hand press and dies,, this again gives you a lot of feel more than you will have with a big press,,,

Most important to accuracy, If when i am seating a bullet and i feel one is harder to seat then another, I will put all the hard ones into one box and all the light ones into another,, This you cannot do if you cannot feel the bullet preasure when seating???

I like to have my bullets just on the rifleing,,,, Then just go and learn to shoot in the wind??

Set some flags out and go and play,,,

I am not blowing wind here,, I have won quite a lot of bench rest comps and small group patches in the last few years,,,, And this year i took up 600yard br with my 308 and i have won the last two comps???

26-04-07_1950.jpg

All the best Darrel

• 3 weeks later...

i wondered this until after i had done it..... in a word..............................yes ..yes ..yes do it

Mark

I have recently added a sinclair neck turning tool to my kit and have begun to turn a few cases.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/9086/Neck-Turning-Tools

However, I have discarded the hand turner and now use a shell holder under power (cordless drill) to get more consistency with the cutter clamped to the bench.

I clean and relube the mandrel after every 5 cases.

Using the power option gives a smoother finish and is, of course, a lot quicker.

So far my 7mm-08 has had the treatment (and will be tested this weekend) and I MAY try doing the same with my .243 but that is shooting so well I am a little reluctant to mess with my Lapua cases ?

Cheers

Andy

HAving burned out two cordless screwdrivers neck turning, I now use my lathe.

Using a similar set up to the K&M with turned mandrel and an adapted case holder (idea from Mike Bryants site) it works well and just as easy as the K&M

Turn 100 cases in an hour - lovely ;)

Hi Spud ,

I am running a 270 Lapua neck on the Kreiger tube on my 6PPC..

This necessitates a neck turn on the 220 Russian cases , i am finding that i am taking off 2 thou off the cases , so thats just one cut needed from the off then its fireforming out to the PPC!!!

Was ruuning a 6PPC USA before so i was just running 6PPC USA Sako brass , was having a fitted neck worth it??? - bloody right it was!!!! , it has given me the " edge " and was accurate before - but now its real sweet!!! :D

As for reloading , i do very much the same as Darrel , apart from i use Redding Comp dies ;) ;)

All the best..................

RAY................................... :D;)

Guest varmartin

I turn my 6mmBR Lapua brass for my tight neck .269 kreiger tube....and found it very easy ..IF you read up and understand what you are doing and why .!!!

My `field ` cases have a couple thou clearence around the neck so it is safe to go out and shoot a 100 rounds and not cause any pressure issues..

My next box of cases will be some what closer in the neck area .

Having just turned 200 cases by hand 3 times due to the rifle being a tight neck I was struggling to get a consistent neck thickness measurement reading.

I started off using digital calipers but found it very fiddly and frustrating so I purchased a RCBS case master system which was better but I could still only get readings 1 thou each side of what was needed, so I bought this from Sinclair's.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/6682/s

It's as accurate as an accurate thing and due to it being spring loaded it gives the same pressure with each measurement making it very easy to use and accurate, oh and pretty cheap.

I have to say that I have found no benefit from turning factory brass other than the feel good factor.

I will be the odd one out.......and say for me neck turning or its preceived advanyatges depends on a few things. Certainly I did it when I was reloading 260 Rem from necked up 243 cases, no choice anyway it had a 290 tight neck. It may also be beneficial with in a factory chamber using bushing dies.

I don`t neck turn, not even a clean up for my AI rifles, they have max spec chambers (wil not chamber a neck sized round from my 308 AI into a normal Remmy 700 308) so by neck turning all it would achieve is more case rattle - it will not be any better centred lying on the bottom of the chamber either. To minimize run-out I do use good Lapua or RUAG brass though.

It`s a bit like religion, if you have faith that it works for you - do it and feel happier, if it gives you better groups on your target then you are onto a winner, on the otherhand it may. Also there is no saying a factory chamber is anywhere near round or concentric with the bore axis.

David.

Archived